Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4K, 3840 X 2160 resolution problem scaling in AutoCAD 2016

144 REPLIES 144
Message 1 of 145
Anonymous
40723 Views, 144 Replies

4K, 3840 X 2160 resolution problem scaling in AutoCAD 2016

We will be replacing all our CAD workstation this year including monitors supporting UHD (4k) resolution. We just had first one configured. And here is the problem – AutoCAD 2016 is not doing very good job scaling fonts, dialog boxes etc. “Start” screen is completely not able to scale in 4k resolution. We use 4K, 3840 X 2160 resolution (UHD), 60Hz on U28D590D - Samsung UHD 28” Monitor. Standard HD resolution (1080p) works perfect. Are you planning to address this in some future service packs or fixes?

Tags (3)
144 REPLIES 144
Message 21 of 145
pendean
in reply to: jpryne

If your primary business software/tool is AutoCAD through 2016, @JGerth comments are totally valid. Other uses and benefits of UHDTV are irrelevant to this discussion really 🙂
Message 22 of 145
jpryne
in reply to: pendean

@pendean wrote:
@Anonymous your primary business software/tool is AutoCAD through 2016, @jggerth comments are totally valid. Other uses and benefits of UHDTV are irrelevant to this discussion really 🙂

So what you're saying is people who write code, for example, have no business using AutoCAD, correct? I'm sorry but this all sounds like covering up the deficiency of the software by suggesting, "Nobody wants to do *that*!"

Message 23 of 145
jpryne
in reply to: Anonymous

Nope, bought it brand new from Amazon.com! Though the price has gone up since then, you can still find great big 4K displays in the $500-600 range...

@Anonymous wrote:
$440 for a 50"?

Was this a back of the truck special?

Sent from my iPhone

Message 24 of 145
jpryne

@Anonymous wrote:
$440 for a 50"?

Sent from my iPhone

A quick search revealed this deal.

Also, not a problem to switch resolution to HD for issues like the one under discussion here.

Message 25 of 145
Anonymous

@jpryne wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
$440 for a 50"?

Sent from my iPhone

A quick search revealed this deal.

Also, not a problem to switch resolution to HD for issues like the one under discussion here.

You get what you pay for. I highly doubt those will last more 3-4 yrs.

Message 26 of 145
pendean

Again, out of context: your response is valid for your scenarios, @JGerth response for the topic of this thread.

No cover up, no conspiracy, you seem passionate about a topic that has nothing to do with the display limitations of the current crop of AutoCAD products.
Message 27 of 145
jpryne

@pendean wrote:
@Again, out of context: your response is valid for your scenarios, @jggerth response for the topic of this thread.

No cover up, no conspiracy, you seem passionate about a topic that has nothing to do with the display limitations of the current crop of AutoCAD products.

Off topic? What topic are *you* discussing? The rest of us are discussing the fact that AutoCAD2016 is unusable at 4K-resolution. The response, "Bah, nobody needs 4K resolution," is as unprofessional as the original problem.

Message 28 of 145
jpryne

@Anonymous wrote:

You get what you pay for. I highly doubt those will last more 3-4 yrs.

Well, I did get a 4-year warranty, and if I get 4 years out of this monitor, I'll consider it money well spent.

Message 29 of 145
pendean

Again, I feel your passion about this topic. Relax, no one is out to get you.
Message 30 of 145
jpryne

Fine, perhaps I'm out on the fringe advocating large, high-resolution displays, but such is hardly a new trend, and AutoCAD is falling behind the curve.

Message 31 of 145
Anonymous

clearly you haven't used a 4k monitor. I'm on civil 2015 with a 39" 4k and 2 27's and it would be a struggle to go away from the 4k. So much, we are updating our other systems to 4k monitors this winter. The sharpness is untouchable.
Message 32 of 145
Anonymous

Some people act like they are too happy with native resolution and other should too. This is a 4k related post, so why are they here?

And to autodesk, will you make an official statement if you are working on it or there will be no 4k support for autodesk products soon? I have a 4k laptop and I'm forcefully using in FHD resolution only for autocad and 3ds max.
Message 33 of 145
Anonymous

Autodesk doesn't give updates on any future enhancements in progress. Sent from my iPhone
Message 34 of 145
smattie
in reply to: dgorsman

I just purchased a Surface Book (i7 6th gen), Here is what Microsoft says about this computer, "Want to run Adobe Creative Cloud, Citrix, AutoCAD or Visual Studio? No problem. Surface Book runs all of the professional-grade software you need with no compromises"  BIG compromises as the 3000 x 2000 (267 PPI) screen resolution makes a mess of the text and other issues as earlier mentioned. From the comments, it sounds like I just might wait for the next AutoCAD upgrade as it seems a patch may be unlikely. Fortunately, I will only be using the monitor while traveling, but it appears docked to a dual monitor that I now use is the only way to get 2016 to work properly. By the way, my OPINION is that 4K is here to stay (not like 3D or Betamax). One look at a 4k MONITOR and you'll notice the difference. TV's are a different story and I agree may be a fad until the price reaches the cost of LCD screens. So PLEASE TELL ME AUTODESK IS GOING TO PATCH 2016 TO WORK WITH THESE HIGHER RESOLUTION MONITORS! 

Message 35 of 145
Anonymous
in reply to: smattie

I just hope you didnt purchase a 4k Gaming GPU to run AutoCad on... lol

Cause that would make no sense at all >.<

Message 36 of 145
smattie

Ah, yeah - only a nutcase would buy a $3000 computer to play games. I am an engineer - purchased the Surface Book for speed and portability (it's VERY light). My Dell M6700 workstation is VERY heavy. The charging "brick" weighs more than the entire Surface Book. However, today I received my docking station and tried to run AutoCAD 2016 on my dual Dell U2410 monitors. NO WAY JOSE. the scaling is a HUGE problem. Part of the issue is with AutoCAD - the command line is HUGE and extends into the model space. The other issue is definitely an issue with the monitors. Once I reduce the size of the window to approximately the size of the Surface Book's screen, the drawing is fine, however, enlarging it to the full 24in causes imaging issues. I attached a screen shot of the issue. You can see the command line is HUGE and the bulk of the drawing is missing.

I'm considering sending the darn thing back - good that MS offers a 30 day return policy.

Message 37 of 145
Anonymous

The surface IMO is not a cad machine. Not enough ram or power.

Sent from my iPhone
Message 38 of 145
smattie

You are correct about the Surface PRO, but the new Surface BOOK is a real machine. The i7 6th gen processor is faster than my M6700 workstation and with 16GB of RAM it outperforms the workstation and is MUCH more portable.

Message 39 of 145
Anonymous

16gb is not enough for running Navis, Autocad Fabrication and Revit at the same time. And no need to be portable.

Sent from my iPhone
Message 40 of 145
smattie

You forgot to mention "while skipping rope and doing a hula"...try that from your iPhone

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

AutoCAD Beta