Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3DCONFIG Settings Not Saving

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
641 Views, 7 Replies

3DCONFIG Settings Not Saving

AutoCAD 2012.  When I change graphics settings by command line "3DConfig" or by the GUI, the settings keep for that session but reset after I close AutoCAD and reopen it.  I have tried saving a profile, but I don't think these settings are included in the profile.

What may be causing the settings to reset?  How can I fix this?

Further  background info:

My AutoCAD launches with hardware acceleration turned off and two invalid 3DConfig variable settings.  The Adapative Degradation "Degrade when FPS is below" setting is 0 and the GUI will not accept any changes, I have to change this by command line.  Also the Dynamic tessellation  "Number of tessellations to cache:" setting is 0, requiring a change by command line as well.  After changing these two variables to valid positive integers, I can use the GUI again to enable hardware acceleration.

I have to repeat this drill every time I open AutoCAD though.

My company has a managed silent install which gives me no visibility into that process.  I am also unable to run anything as an admin.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

It auto-turns off becuase the program is designed to guess at how it should work best with your PC hardware and configures itself as such.

You are trying to use the software to fix a hardware problem: fix the hardware instead. Start by finding a better driver first before you buy a new video card http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/syscert?id=18844534&siteID=123112
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Thank  you for the quick reply.

AutoCAD would revert to invalid setings (i.e. set two options to 0 that must be a positive integer) because of my hardware config?  This throws errors when I try to open the Perforance Settings GUI, so I must make these changes by command line.

My Quadro 1000M is AutoDESK certified and recommended.

My admin has me on driver 332.21 and I cannot change this, but it is newer than the AutoDESK recommended drivers.

What other possibilities are there?

Message 4 of 8
pendean

Newer isn't necessarily better: and if Autodesk did not write the driver it's technically the wrong choice too.
Message 5 of 8
akitchensZEZPR

Has Autodesk made any improvements to this faulty feature since 2016? I am still having this problem, and found this thread in response to my Google search. Is there not a way to override their "best guess" and hard-set the 3DCONFIG settings to your personal preference? It keeps reverting back to settings that cause my program to act insane.

Message 6 of 8
pendean
in reply to: akitchensZEZPR

@akitchensZEZPR What faulty feature is that? hardware acceleration requires your video card to be compatible, you the end user never get the option to make it so if it is not. Autodesk alone can't fix your choices for hardware, the program would be exceptionally bloated even more that it is.
Message 7 of 8
akitchensZEZPR
in reply to: pendean

Your answer is "no, they haven't fixed this faulty feature" then.

It IS faulty,  because my hardware IS compatible. The software is changing settings to ones that are not ideal. This should not happen. There is no reason I can't determine this setting like every other system variable. None of the other system variables randomly change to something I didn't ask for. There is no excuse for this.

Message 8 of 8
pendean
in reply to: akitchensZEZPR

@akitchensZEZPR If you think it is an Autodesk issue to fix, then start a support ticket and have them help you out or provide you with more information https://knowledge.autodesk.com/customer-service/account-management/users-software/support-options

No one here is Autodesk, and no one here can do much about the limitations of your system with the program.

HTH

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report