Did you mean: 

3D Solid won't subtract from another solid

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
rudirXAUAC
446 Views, 6 Replies

3D Solid won't subtract from another solid

Hi Guys

I am hoping anyone can assist me with a subtract problem I'm having in AutoCAD. I'm trying to subtract a 3d solid that is inside a box so that I can have so called "airways" inside the box. But whenever I subtract it only seems to subtract the 3d model outside lines and keep part of the box where I need to have space. I have attached the file.  A solid edit check confirms that it is a complete solid. Any help would be appreciated.

Kind Regards

Rudi

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
tramber
in reply to: rudirXAUAC

You have to refill the emptinesses that you would like to substract 😎

Message 3 of 7
rudirXAUAC
in reply to: tramber

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I tried to cover all the holes but that didnt work. is there another way to fill my smaller 3d object so that I can subtract form the bigger one?

Thanks in advance!

Message 4 of 7
parkr4st
in reply to: rudirXAUAC

check the interior object.  I SLICEd it and lo and behold there is at one seperate object in the collection that didn't slice.  Why not??

Message 5 of 7
parkr4st
in reply to: parkr4st

another SLICE and you see that there is a separate part in the interior object

Message 6 of 7
Kent1Cooper

@parkr4st wrote:

... there is at one seperate object in the collection that didn't slice.  Why not??

Simply because it did not get UNIONed onto the rest of the assembly.  But even after doing that, the same issue remains.

There are limited circumstances in which parts of a single 3D Solid can be SEPARATEd from each other, but this isn't one of them -- I haven't found a way to do it with the results of SUBTRACTing something like that pipe assembly from something like that Box Solid.  It may be necessary to create the pipe assembly as filled-solid elements [cylinders, etc.], rather than as hollow pipes with walls, in order to have something that will SUBTRACT from the box and take the volume of the airways out, too.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 7 of 7
rudirXAUAC

Hi

I had a look and this was a result of me trying to be lazy and exploding the previous design. I ended up redesigning my project as there were just too many issues with the exploding files that I converted back to solids (or empty solids rather). So needless to say my next designs will have a copy of the design before I union all the solids, so that I can make changes in the future. Thanks for all the advise anyways. Appreciate it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report