Did you mean: 

3D - Need To Trim Extruded Solid Or Surface

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
omorah
5432 Views, 7 Replies

3D - Need To Trim Extruded Solid Or Surface

Hello folks. Am polishing up on my AutoCAD 3D and am stuck with trimming either an extruded SOLID or SURFACE.

All the tutorials I have gone through all have interior walls up the the ceiling (typical of residential interior walls). In this situation, the interior walls goes up to the roof's bottom. Am attaching two samples of a SOLID and an EXTRUDED CAD files.  My goal it to trim off the top part of the structure at the 'roof' line. I was able to use the SUBTRACT function by creating a solid roof block. However, I would like to know how to trim off the top part with an extruded polyline (surface).

I am using AutoCAD 2018/2019 but the files I attached are all saved to the 2013 format.

Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
j.palmeL29YX
in reply to: omorah

Use the slice command.

Follow the steps in the attached screencast.

https://autode.sk/2KYwDLm

cadder

Jürgen Palme
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
omorah
in reply to: j.palmeL29YX

Thanks for the practical 'video answer' to my question.

The SLICE or the SUBTRACT works for the Solid extrude while the TRIM function works for the extruded surface I really needed to use.

Thanks you again.

Message 4 of 8
j.palmeL29YX

Your "Trim Surface Extrude.dwg" seems to be corrupt. I can see only one extrudes surface (the roof), the walls are missing.

Can you try a new upload please?

cadder

Jürgen Palme
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
omorah
in reply to: j.palmeL29YX

@j.palmeL29YXwrote:

Your "Trim Surface Extrude.dwg" seems to be corrupt. I can see only one extrudes surface (the roof), the walls are missing.

Can you try a new upload please?

cadder

Hello "Cadder".

The file seem to have some issues.  I am attaching another CAD file.  This current file is the base of my goal:

1. Each room has it's own interior perimeter wall line - for special electrical lighting calculation.

2. Also, each room's perimeter walls should be joined as one unit - for volume calculation. Floor to under roof (ceiling).

3. The whole building also has it's own interior perimeter wall line - for volume calculation. Floor to under roof (ceiling).

4. All wall lines stops at under roof ceiling.  The roof limit is the layer "A-ROOF-TRIM-CEILING".

I hope I am not too explicit in my description in making my request more confusing.  I am just trying to be as clear as I could be in my second language, English.

The trim I did in the previous file went well, but, when I tried the same format in this file, I could not get it to work.

I really and surely appreciate your helping me on my issues.

Thank you so much!

Message 6 of 8
parkr4st

Another way.  look at the dwg attached.  rotate ucs so x-y plane aligns with end of the building.  Copy and paste where applicable. draw the outline of the wall and extrude it as a solid.  2 done so far.  MASSPROP command, select a solid and all of the volume, surface areas, etc are calculated.  Save the MASSPROP

Message 7 of 8
omorah
in reply to: parkr4st

@parkr4stwrote:

Another way.  look at the dwg attached.  rotate ucs so x-y plane aligns with end of the building.  Copy and paste where applicable. draw the outline of the wall and extrude it as a solid.  2 done so far.  MASSPROP command, select a solid and all of the volume, surface areas, etc are calculated.  Save the MASSPROP

Using Solid, did you use the Subtract function to get the walls right under the roof?

However, how about using a SURFACE, so, when it is shaded, one can see through to the floor and roof (which Solids does not provide) to have a hollow space? Hopefully, one can still "MASSPROP" the space with Surface instead of Solid.

Thank you for your time, well appreciated.

Message 8 of 8
j.palmeL29YX

@omorahschrieb:

Hopefully, one can still "MASSPROP" the space with Surface instead of Solid.

Massprop you get only from solids (or regions). Surfaces dont't let you calculate the massprops.
If you need both (solids and surfaces) then I'd suggest, create both:
- create the solids as shown above (there are possible a lot of other workflows) on a special layer (or as many layers as you need) for solids to get the mass informations.
- On a second layer (or as many as you need) for surfaces additional create the surfaces (extrude the polylines into surfaces and trim).

Now you can "play" with the Layers. To get the massprops use the solids. If you want to see the surfaces turn OFF (or freeze) the  layer(s) with the solids and turn ON the layer(s) where the surfaces reside.  

BTW: I did not yet understand why you need urgently surfaces? I'd do it as shown in the following screencast. (https://autode.sk/2IixEMy)  This screencast was created yesterday before I read your last post. If you need the volumina of the rooms, do not subtract the inner volumen, but:

- copy the inner volumina once at the same place.

- slice all volumina at the roof face.

- now use 1 instance of the inner volumen to subtract (to get hollow rooms)

- put the second instance of the inner volumen on a separate layer and use it to get the massprops.
Maybe I did not yet understand all what you need/want to do.

cadder

Jürgen Palme

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report