Did you mean: 

3D Model to Autocad

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
1044 Views, 14 Replies

3D Model to Autocad

Hello All - I have been working through the tutorials and reading through the forum here to figure out my issue but it still isn't working. Here is what I am trying to do:

I have a 3D model downloaded from Sketchfab. The file format is a .obj mesh file. What I would like to do is put this file into Autocad and split the model straight down the middle with the splice tool. I have read from forum posts here that you cannot simply import a .obj or .stl file into Autocad, you must use inventor. I have imported the .obj file into inventor and exported as a .dwg file but when I import this file into Autocad, it will not show up (meaning it simply will not show any error commands but will just not show on the screen).

I am just now learning all of these programs so it is likely that I am skipping a huge step.

Thank you for your help,

Terry

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
TheCADnoob
in reply to: Anonymous

Are you sure its not there?

If you hit Ctrl+A and look in the properties what does it say?

Have you tried zoom extents? (ZOOM E)?

CADnoob

EESignature

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: TheCADnoob

HI there! I had considered that maybe the .obj file doesn't have the size information so maybe its tiny and I can't see it.

When I hit Ctrl+A the only command that shows is ai_selall Selectiing Object...done

Zoom Extents is checked.

Thank you for the help,

Terry

Message 4 of 15
pendean

Click on the layout tab: by chance is your content there and not modelspace?

Otherwise.... start haring actual files please.

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

I'm afraid its not in the layout tab either. I tried downloading a sample file from: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-mechanical/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autocad-m...

But still nothing. Not sure what i'm doing wrong. I download the "bottom plate.dwg" and imported it into autocad but still nothing. I am running Autocad 2018 Student Version.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Terry

Message 6 of 15
pendean

What do you mean by "import"? the bottom-plate dwg file (its a 2d drawing by the way) works fine here

Capture.PNG

Message 7 of 15
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I see that you are visiting as a new member to the AutoCAD forum. Welcome to the Autodesk Community!

Can you share the OBJ file so I can try this on my computer?

I am happy to see if I can get it into AutoCAD.  

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

Hi All - Sorry for the delay in replying. Attached is the .obj file that I am trying to open in Autocad. The reason for this is simply to practice with the process of importing 3D files into Autocad and using the tools available on future projects. The future projects will be scanned files using a NextEngine 3D scanner. 

Thank you all for helping me through this!

Terry

Message 9 of 15
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

This is the list of steps I took to get this workflow to work for me:

• Download and install Mesh Enabler from the Autodesk App Store
  • In Inventor, go to Environments and AutoLoad the Mesh Enabler
  • Open the OBJ and select the mesh, rt-click and convert to Solid. (This took quite a while)

Now, you should be able to bring this into AutoCAD successfully.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 10 of 15
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I am checking back to see if my post helped you with your problem or question. Please mark my post as the solution if it resolved the issue or give me a bit more detail on this issue so we can continue to work towards getting this solved.

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if a post or posts solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Message 11 of 15
john.vellek

HI @Anonymous,

I wanted to revisit this issue as Inventor is probably not the best choice for this workflow. Instead, I imported your OBJ into Fusion 360.  Because ist had so many surfaces, I used the Mesh tools to reduce the number and then the Model tools to convert to a BREP. The last step in Fusion 360 was to export as an IGES file. I have attached this file so you can try the import yourself.

This file came into AutoCAD fairly quickly.  I hope this improves the workflow and speeds up the process for you.

Capture.PNG

John Vellek

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous

Hi John! Sorry for the late reply, very busy week. I was able to open the file that you sent perfectly. I was having a bit of trouble at first because I kept using import to try and bring the file in (rookie mistake). Thank you so much for this.

If it would be no trouble for you, could you run me through the steps in Fusion 360? I will be scanning in quite a lot of files like this and will need to be very familiar with the process. 

Thank you again, big help!

Terry

Message 13 of 15
john.vellek

Hi Terry,

I am no Fusion 360 expert so if I can do this i am sure you should be able to handle it as well. I made a quick video to get you started.

• In Fusion 360, select the Upload button and load the OBJ file.
  • Once it has uploaded, you will see it in the project browser on the left hand side. Double click the file you just imported.
  • Once it is in the modeling area, select the Mesh tools and go to the Modify button. Drop it down and select Reduce to reduce the number of faces in the mesh. This can take some trial and error to retain enough to look correct but also to eliminate as much as possible so you can easily convert to a solid.
  • Once it has reduced the face count, switch to the Model tools
  • Again, select Modify and use the Mesh to BREP feature.
  • I do not show the conversion in my video as it can take some time. When it has completed, use the Export to IGES feature.
  • Switch to AutoCAD and use IMPORT and select the IGES file. Once it has completed you will see a pop up indicating that it is done and will allow you to open the file.

John Vellek

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous

Hi John - Thank you so much for taking the time to do that. Everything worked great up until the very end when I tried to convert to Brep. It told me that there are too many facets and the conversion was aborted. I reduced it the exact same way you had done in the video to .154. I tried it a bit smaller after that but still no luck.

Message 15 of 15
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

Yes, finding the correct balance is tricky.  I suggest that if this is a workflow that looks like it will work, that you now proceed to the Fusion 360 forum and start a thread there. I am certainly not a Fusion 360 expert so I am sure that Community will be able to offer much better help.

John Vellek

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report