Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3d block opens in 2013 but with errors in 2022 / 2023

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
AutoMarcus
382 Views, 6 Replies

3d block opens in 2013 but with errors in 2022 / 2023

apologies in advance, must be the tenth time i have tried posting this to the forums this morning, keeps coming back with unexpected error.

so i have a block i downloaded from trace parts.

it opens i  2013 fine.

in 2022 or 2023 it opens needing recovery, and has errors

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
cadffm
in reply to: AutoMarcus

This is possible because the 2018+ versions are less tolerant towards data errors (from the perspective of the 2018+ version).

But: Also in 2013 there are a number of errors in the model!

And also in (my) 2013 if you open the file by OPEN or RECOVER: You can see the Bolt only!

After AUDIT Yes you can see the whole model.

2013_1.png

If I were asked, my tip would be:
Working with solids, either with versions up to 2018 OR from 2018, don't work with pre2018 Solid in 2018+ version OR brace yourself for problems, up to loosing 3dsolids.
Hence my tip, IF it is possible: Do not edit files from before 2018 with products from 2018 onwards.

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
AutoMarcus
in reply to: cadffm

Hi Sebastian, thanks for your advice.
i audited the file after recovery and could still not see the other parts.
do you have any other suggestions?

is there an object enabler i need to install or something?
"If I were asked, my tip would be:
Working with solids, either with versions up to 2018 OR from 2018, don't work with pre2018 Solid in 2018+ version OR brace yourself for problems, up to loosing 3dsolids.
Hence my tip, IF it is possible: Do not edit files from before 2018 with products from 2018 onwards."

i don't think this is very practical, we have an extensive library of pre 2018 3d cad models, and so does the cad community, including traceparts.com where i got the file from the manufacturer
Message 4 of 7
pendean

@AutoMarcus The software changed after 2018: sorry, not much you can do about it if newer versions are insistent your file has errors.

Interestingly, I get this marketing pop-up in AutoCAD 2023 why I open your file: are elements in the file from another CAD program?

pendean_0-1652879078950.png

Start a support ticket through your subscription portal as explained here to ask Autodesk direct for assistance while you wait or other to chime in if they want https://knowledge.autodesk.com/customer-service/account-management/users-software/support-options#:~....

Message 5 of 7
cadffm

>>"i audited the file after recovery and could still not see the other parts."

>>"do you have any other suggestions?"

In 2013, or in 2018&newer?

In 2013 it should work without a problem, Audit,yes,Regen.

In 2018 and newer?: Sorry no, no suggestions except my opinion I wrote abouztt: Don't User pre2018 3dSolid data in 2018+ Products

>>"is there an object enabler i need to install or something?"

No

>>"i don't think this is very practical,"

Your mind doesn't change technical facts.

>>"we have an extensive library of pre 2018 3d cad models, and so does the cad community, including traceparts.com where i got the file from the manufacturer"

Feel free to find the best workaround for you!

From my actual knowledge: This workaround is using a non-AutoDESK Software.

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
cadffm

>>"i don't think this is very practical,"

You are right, IF you can not use pre-2018 version for your work with these files.

But as thumb rule it is the best solution.

If you can't go this way, you have to search a workaround to fix the problem

and in case of success, write down your solution here!

(I never searched for it, because I don't need it, but you are not alone and by using other programs and formats, I think there is a way)

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
AutoMarcus
in reply to: pendean

Thanks for your thoughts and time @pendean and @cadffm

i downloaded the files from tracparts.com, which get their parts from the manufacturer.

i guess they make the cad blocks in one particular modelling software then pop them out into various file formats.

@cadffmmy comment about it no being very practical was just a thought/ part of conversation.

I have always found AutoCAD very capable and robust. To not work on pre 2018 files with post 2018 software boggles my mind. however i agree facts are facts

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta