Did you mean: 

2D - AUTOCAD 2019 TRIM PROBLEM

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
acbatingal1
1173 Views, 11 Replies

2D - AUTOCAD 2019 TRIM PROBLEM

Hello! I have a problem in my trim command as it selects the entire object. I have been reading the forums here for days and still the solutions are not working.

In the attached picture, I wanted to trim the circle, leaving only the arc but couldn't do so. I know how the trim command works as I have been using it in AutoCAD 2021 (but I stopped using that version due to another problem - license thingy not properly installed; but this calls for another forum post).

I swear I tried the options like turning on the "noun.." in the display, the pickadd is already set to 2, pickfirst is 1, edgemode 0. 

I hope someone knows how to fix this as I am working on a project. Thank you! trim 2.PNGtrim 1.PNG

Labels (2)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Patchy
in reply to: acbatingal1

For a circle, it needs 2 cutting edges ?

Or it's on locked layer.

Message 3 of 12
vinodkl

Hi @acbatingal1 

If you have used AutoCAD 2021 first and then returned back to the 2019 version then the TRIM works a little differently in the 2019 version 🙂 You would need to select both the circle and as well as the other objects to trim or try this: Type in the command "TRIM" press enter twice and then click on the "CIRCLE". Does it trim now? 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ವಿನೋದ್ ಕೆ ಎಲ್( System Design Engineer)

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others.

Please mark "Accept as Solution" if my reply resolves the issue or answers your question, to help others in the community.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 4 of 12
Kent1Cooper

Your image with more command-line history showing indicates that it's still waiting for you to complete selection of cutting edges.  Since you can select any number of things for that, you need to tell it you're done with that before it asks for selection of what to trim.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 5 of 12
acbatingal1
in reply to: Patchy

hello uhm I have deleted the circle and opted to the arc since I couldn't really do trim. In this new picture attached, I cannot trim the left side of the line. Can you help me figure out how to do trimming? Is it different when using AutoCAD 2021, since in what I've been used to, it only selects the left side since it already intersected with a line. triim.PNG

Message 6 of 12
acbatingal1
in reply to: vinodkl

Oh I had no idea trimming was different in both versions. So basically I have to select the "cutting edges" (if that's the proper term) before selecting the object I want to trim. Thank you very much. 

Message 7 of 12
Patchy

Trim works the same for 20 years, before that it wouldn't allow hit the space bar twice to select all.

Can we have the actual .dwg ?

Message 8 of 12
acbatingal1

It has been solved already as the real problem was that I was uninformed about how 2019 trim works (because in 2021, I don't have to select the "cutting edges" or whatnot as it automatically trims on where the objects intersect). I just started using 2019 ver just a week ago. Someone already answered it. 

Nonetheless, thank you for replying to this forum. I appreciate all the help. 

Tags (1)
Message 9 of 12
cadffm

No Patchy,

in 2021 the trim/extent changed to the new quick mode as default..

the old mode "Standard" is available, but not the default standard setup.

http://help.autodesk.com/view/ACD/2021/ENU/?guid=GUID-7F5F20DC-819A-42D6-A9EB-EA1F0D7943C2

per Pre-2021 (or in standard mode) you have to select the cuttung objects first,

ENTER hit is enough as "Select all",

The quick mode in 2021 use always "all objects"

Sebastian

Message 10 of 12
Patchy
in reply to: cadffm

It was working fine now I have to learn new way to trim 😖

Message 11 of 12
RobDraw

@Patchy wrote:

It was working fine now I have to learn new way to trim 😖

Not if you don't want to. The old behavior is still available.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 12 of 12
Kent1Cooper

[If the image is what I think it is, you could also just draw that door swing as an Arc in the first place, and not have to Trim anything....]

Kent Cooper, AIA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report