Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2021 Vanilla - New clean installs, very unstable, corrupting DWG files, etc...

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
846 Views, 8 Replies

2021 Vanilla - New clean installs, very unstable, corrupting DWG files, etc...

We recently rolled out two brand new Windows 10 installs, with ACAD 2021 installed on each.  One machine is a very solid and reliable machine we've had for a few years - it was previously running ACAD 2016 and doing a fine job of it.  The other machine is brand new hardware, purpose-built for ACAD, using components from AutoDesk's lists of approved hardware.  The point is, both of these machines are robust, and more importantly - they are made of *different* hardware components.

And ACAD 2021 is crashing on both of them, in similar ways, with similar results.  So it seems more likely to be a software problem rather than a hardware problem, but who knows - I'm willing to consider anything.  

(Let me just interject that this has been going on for weeks, and we've tried many different things from internet search results...  Reinstalling...  Running updates to both ACAD and to Windows 10...  Disabling various aspects of the graphics performance...  But just when it seems like ACAD has calmed down and given us a couple days of solid performance, the crashes pop up again.)

So, here are some of the strange behavior that we've noticed:

1)  It seems to only crash in a Layout Space, not in model space.  It *might* have crashed in model space, but all of the crashes that I can remember were in a Layout.

2)  We use drawing views (the VIEWBASE command) in our layouts.  We use this instead of MVIEW because of the many, many superior features of using VIEWBASE drawings views.  However, the VIEWBASE drawing  views have been behaving erratically, and I suspect they may be at the root of our crashes.

3)  We use Shaded view styles in our drawing views because we like to make use of materials - they allow us to create much more attractive specification drawings for our clients.  They get a much better sense of what their products will look like when they can see shaded and highlighted materials.

4)  Some materials don't behave properly when viewed in a drawing view, like they used to in ACAD 2016.  It's difficult to describe accurately, but:  Self-illuminating materials do not self-illuminate.  Some texture maps, like the use of "patina" on a metal finish, simply does not appear.

5)  VIEWBASE drawing views simply *will not* update.  This has been happening a lot.  We will make changes in model space - either physically moving objects, or physically changing an object's geometry, or changing an objects's assigned material - and when we go back into the Layout, the drawing views refuse to update.  We try the update command - nothing.  We try changing the view style from Shaded to Lines and then back to Shaded - nothing.  The only thing that works is to delete the VIEWBASE drawing views and recreate them.  And that - quite obviously - is not an acceptable solution.

6)  While the crashed always happen in a Layout Space, they seem to happen at completely random times.  Yes, it is often when we are trying to work with or edit a VIEWBASE drawing view.  But other times it will crash when I simply try to MOVE some things.  Or when I am editing MTEXT. 

7)  For what it's worth, our DWG files live on a central server, with direct LAN connections to the CAD machines.  Our backup files save to the local machines - not to the server.

😎  We autosave every 10 minutes, to 2018 file type.  We DO maintain visual fidelity for annotative objects.  We DO maintain drawing size compatibility.  We use 0 incremental save percentage.  We DO create backup copy with each save.  We DO NOT use full-time CRC validation.  We DO NOT maintain a log file.

9)  Data corruption is rampant and runs deep:

a)  The crashes are often corrupting the DWG file, even when we do not try to save data (if the popup dialog box gives us that option). 

b)  The SV$ files are often corrupt as well, or simply do not exist (even for files that we have been working on for hours). 

c)  Even when we manage to complete work on a DWG file (after several crashes, that is), and we are able to successfully save and close the file, it can still be corrupted.  I just tried to open a DWG file that I successfully completed, printed layouts, saved and closed, and now that file is corrupt.  It cannot be OPENed, and it cannot be RECOVERed.  This is a serious, serious problem.

Okay, that's the brief summary of what I'm going through.  I am considering downloading ACAD 2019 and trying to work in that - on the theory that it might be more stable than this brand new 2021 version.  But I'm worried about compatibility with all of the work we've done over the past few weeks.  

I have been on AutoCAD since R12, in DOS (those were the days, am I right?!?).  I've experienced my share of crashes, as well all have.  But I have never encountered anything as insidious and as destructive as what I'm experiencing now.  And despite 25 years of experience, I can't seem to figure this out.  We are in serious trouble here - we need a stable platform, and we can't keep losing data, and the countless hours of productivity that go with it.  We are missing deadlines because of crashes and corruption.  If anyone can help with step-by-step suggestions about things that we can try, or additional information that I can provide, please let me know.  I'm pretty busy trying to keep my department's head above water, but I will try to dedicate time to this forum each business day.

Thanks again for any help.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

Explore one or more of these three topics and complete the fixes they suggest:
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Crash-...
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-lt/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Aut...
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/AutoCA...

Still crashing? Turn off LINESMOOTHING and LINEFADING variables, do they help?

If not, you do NOT need these on, turn them off:
" We DO maintain visual fidelity for annotative objects. We DO maintain drawing size compatibility"

If you still have issues turn off hardware acceleration in GRAPHICSCONFIG command: still crashing?

HTH
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Thank you for the links, PenDean.  I have tried all of the suggestions.  Time will tell if there is an improvement in stability.

It still does not render materials correctly, but I have outlined that problem is a separate thread:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-forum/autocad-2019-materials-not-appearing-correctly-in-viewb...

Message 4 of 9
nickbillferrellco

I've been using VIEWBASE (with networked files) religiously since ACAD 2014, and in all the releases, it has never been 100% reliable. But for me it is still way better and faster than viewports. Here are the tips and tricks I've worked out over the years to workaround the issues (although this is for ACAD 2014 thru 2020, haven't downloaded 2021 yet):

1. When creating a base view, I always grab a single block rather than individual solids. It helps with updating (see #4). Note: I rarely lose association/update capability in a single ACAD session. I typically run into trouble when I save, close, and then reopen dwgs.

2. I've found ACAD likes to crash if I haven't created a new base view in a while, so I always hit save before VIEWBASE.

3. Always save a dwg in model space rather than in paperspace. Sometimes when you open a dwg saved in PS it immediately tries to update the views, then you are left with an empty view and can't do Step #4:

4. If you go to a layout and the views update to empty views (red squares), undo until you're back at model space, set VIEWUPDATEAUTO to 0. Copy the block instance, say 10' away. Delete the old block instance and move the new one to the original coordinates. Go back to your layout (it won't update to empty views but you'll get the red squares). If you double click and the 'select option' comes up in the command line, select the new block, and the rest of the views should update -- works most of the time (see #5 & #6).

5. If you double click a base view and get the "Unable to perform the requested action. This drawing was last edited with model documentation in a newer version of AutoCAD" even though it WAS NOT, sometimes if you save, close, restart ACAD and reopen the drawing, you can edit the views again. Something about rebooting AcIvServerHost.exe.

6. If you double click a base view and get nothing, or if you are unable to adjust the scale of a drawing view, you have to rebuild the views.

7. For when you inevitably have to rebuild a the drawing views on a layout: in a layer (set not to plot), I'll trace over section lines, detail boundaries and some positions of views. Then I'll copy the object in model space (see #4) and create a new base view normally. Sometimes that works, sometimes it gives me an empty view or no view. In that case:

8. Start with #5 - #7, and also copy your layout. Delete the old layout before placing drawing views on the new one (see #12). A new block and new layout typically does the trick. If that doesn't work, then I guess copy everything to a new dwg and REALLY start over.

9. Responding to your #6: Sometimes it crashes on me when I move things, or put a multileader next to something with a lot of threads or other snap points. So OSNAP off for those objects/operations.

10. I had a coworker with a newer PC, and he had far fewer crashes by using local files rather than networked files. I haven't been able to investigate this yet.

11. If you're in the middle of a VIEWBASE command, or snapping to something around a drawing view and ACAD freezes, before you End Task on ACAD try End Task on AcIvServerHost.exe first. Most of the times ACAD works through the freeze, although that will also kill the drawing view associations.

12. If you use multiple layouts in a single dwg, sometimes deleting drawing views/layouts will break association with views on other layouts.

13. Responding to your #9: I've adjusted company policy to print dwgs to PDF and only print hard copies from PDFs. This ensures you always have an up to date digital, printable copy (albeit non-editable).

14. If ACAD generates an IDW file associated with your file, do not move or delete it.

I know these aren't actually solutions to the problem; just workarounds. I really wish instead of new bells and whistles every year Autodesk would make the existing features 100% stable. But alas.

Tags (1)
Message 5 of 9
pendean
in reply to: nickbillferrellco

Type in INTELLIGENTUPDATE and change the value to zero. See if that helps.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

Nick - thank you for the laundry list of things to try.  Sorry it took me this long to get back around to this thread.  And I couldn't agree more about how AutoDesk needs to prioritize stability over bells and whistles.  I've been on ACAD for 25 years, and with the exception of a few growing pains here and there, and the occassional crashes or lockups, I've always been able to describe it as a very stable platform.  Until now.  I suppose that's why I'm still such a novice as navigating all of these problems - I've been pretty lucky so far. 

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Pendean - I have changed the INTELLIGENTUPDATE system variable, and I will continue using Drawing Views as I have in the past.  And we'll see what happens.  Thank you for the suggestion!

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

Pendean:  Just an update:  I have been setting the INTELLIGENTUPDATE to 0, and I can confirm that at least one type of crash continues to happen:  The crashes in layout space, clearly related to the use of Drawing Views.  The known issue of the "AcIvServerHost.exe" service malfunctioning.  This is covered in another thread - I am told they are working to fix it.  Meanwhile - the crashes continue.

Message 9 of 9
djen

@nickbillferrellco 

Thank you for your post.  As I was again running into issues with VIEWBASE command and about to write a post with my continuing issues. Like you I have sen these issues with little improvement over several versions of the software.  Thank you for taking the time to document your real world workarounds.  

The primary workaround I use, is to copy the solids into a new drawing and recreate the views.  I have also used the move items in model space and generate views. 

Someday before I retire, maybe this the VIEWBASE will rise to the top of the issues to be resolved at AutoCad programmers.

Dan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report