AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scale command not working

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
shawnmayers
13672 Views, 19 Replies

Scale command not working

I am trying to scale an entire drawing so that all dimensions are correct.  I have done this a million times, but all of a sudden the scale command quits after choosing an object and before I get to select reference.  Any advice>

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
maxim_k
in reply to: shawnmayers

Hi Shawn,

Try to turn off running Object Snap before using SCALE command and use temporary Object Snap inside the SCALE command.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 20
shawnmayers
in reply to: maxim_k

Saw this in your other posts — did not remedy the situation. SCALE works in some drawings, but not others….wondering if there is a wrong setting with this one particular file?
Message 4 of 20
maxim_k

What do you see in the Command window when SCALE command fails?
Can you attach command history from the moment when you start SCALE till it falls?

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 5 of 20
john.vellek

Hi @shawnmayers,

Since this appears to happen only in select drawings, can you attach one of those to a post so I can examine the file? I am wondering if there is some drawing corruption that prevents SCALE from working properly.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 6 of 20
shawnmayers
in reply to: john.vellek

attached is a copy of the file

Message 7 of 20
shawnmayers

sorry this is the correct file

Message 8 of 20
shawnmayers

i get to the point in the command where it says Specify scale factor or [Copy/Reference]: and then I get the spinning ball and it exits out of the command.

Message 9 of 20
john.vellek

Hi @shawnmayers,

I took a look at your file in AutoCAD for Mac 2017. I ran AUDIT and PURGE and did not find anything too terrible.  I then used SCALE, selected ALL and was able to pick a base point and then a scale factor.  The SCALE process seemed to work find on my side.

The drawing does not seem to be part of the issue so please tell me about your computer environment.  Which version of AutoCAD are you using? What is your OS?  If you move the drawing contents to a new file does the SCALE continue to present problems?

You can also consider a RESET to see if that corrects the problem.

Do you have other applications running during this operation? It might be worth starting Activity Monitor to see if resources are not available during this process.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 10 of 20
shawnmayers

thanks for sticking with me on this,  I am running autocad for Mac 2015 (version J.51.M.455) on Sierra ver 10.12.6.  I have updated all software, turned off other programs, restarted and run audit and purge.  I don't have RESET option, only RESETBLOCKS.  Problem with SCALE in this drawing does carry over if I try to copy & paste to a new file.  Activity monitor doesn't show anything scary -- I'm working on a MacBook Pro purchased less than a year ago, so my hardware is up to date.  I am stumped?  Here's the process: SC - select objects - hit return (spinning wheel) - copy/refererence shows up, then crashes.  if i hit "r" for reference, the REDRAW command starts.

Message 11 of 20
john.vellek

Hi @shawnmayers,

I no longer have 2015 installed as I upgraded to High Sierra.  However, your 2015 should have a Reset. There a few ways to do the Reset. I have linked an article that shows how you can do this.  Please this a try and let me know if it changes the issue at all.

John Vellek

Message 12 of 20
pendean

Turn off all running osnaps and turn off DRAGMODE variable, does that help at all?
Message 13 of 20
shawnmayers

I did a reset - it actually helped a little: I got to the point where I could select "reference," but then it crashed out of the command again.  I actually got the original file from the architect, copied it and tried again with a new file and still no go.

Message 14 of 20
shawnmayers
in reply to: pendean

That did not do anything....

Message 15 of 20
john.vellek

HI @shawnmayers,

I have tried your drawing in every version of AutoCAD I have installed on both Mac and Windows and I cannot get it to fail.

What happens if you try a command like move and select ALL? Does it do the same thing or does that work properly? Can you make a block of EVERYTHING and scale that?

Are you willing to try a Trial download of newer product to see if it still misbehaves? I am trying to isolate whether this is AutoCAD or something else on your Mac that is causing the behavior.

John Vellek

Message 16 of 20
shawnmayers

I finally got it to work.  I still don't know what the problem was -- the software crashed once and after that,I could get it to the point where I could enter a new refernce length.  But even then, it would enter some strange value and scale the drawing way down.  Once it was "small," I was able to scale it back up to the desired scale.  PHew.  I would be willing to download a trial to see if that works better on my system.  

Message 17 of 20
shawnmayers

I think I'm going to upgrade to high sierra...maybe that will help with all the glitches.

Message 18 of 20
john.vellek

Hi @shawnmayers,

I am happy with my High Sierra installation. If you decide to go that route, here is a link to the 2017.2 version that will work in that OS.

John Vellek

Message 19 of 20
shawnmayers

thank for all your help...I will upgrade/install today

Message 20 of 20
tracey.2.miller

After several attempts I finally figured out that in addition to turning off object snap, you also have to turn off ortho- mode. Thanks for your help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report