AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to swap a saved "view" in paper space viewport?

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
shingen_
718 Views, 11 Replies

Possible to swap a saved "view" in paper space viewport?

The new 'views' function is very helpful. However, it feels like there's a lot that could make it even more useful.

For example, Is it possible to swap an inserted "view" in paper space?

Say you have two floor plans that are identical in perimeter, and you have the first one laid out on a sheet. You duplicate the sheet to lay out the second plan.

Is there a way to select the existing viewports and simply change it to show a different saved view?

Also, there doesn't seem to be a way to set multiple inserted Views to the same paper space scale, while maintaining the viewport crop. You have to select each viewport and select scale from the dropdown grip in the center. Is this correct?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
pendean
in reply to: shingen_

Post a DWG file with all these items in it, let's see what you see, touch what you are touching.

Otherwise while in a paperspace VIEWPORT, call up VIEW command and select the other saved view.

Message 3 of 12
maxim_k

Welcome to Autodesk Forums!

Hi @shingen_ 

2019-02-11_22-58-54.png

2019-02-11_23-01-09.png

HTH

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 4 of 12
shingen_
in reply to: maxim_k

Hi @maxim_k 

Thanks for your response. The second screenshot is exactly what I was looking for, but I'm not seeing those numbers at the top of my viewport, only the UCS symbol at the bottom. Is this a AutoCAD only function? I am currently using LT for Mac 2019. 

Message 5 of 12
shingen_

Hi @maxim_k 

Also, in regards to the viewport scale button on the bottom right, this only becomes an option for me if I "unlock" each view port. However, doing so removes the fixed crop of each viewport. The content is scaled, but the viewport stays the same. Whereas if you use the drawdown button at center, it maintains the crop, as it scales the content. Is there a way to do this with multiple viewports at once?

Message 6 of 12
shingen_
in reply to: pendean

@pendean 

Thanks for your response. I've tried the View command within the viewport, however none of the secondary menu options seem to allow swapping of the Saved View. Maybe I am missing something. It reads: [?/Delete/Orthographic/Restore/Save/Settings/Window]

Message 7 of 12
maxim_k

>>>>>Is there a way to do this with multiple viewports at once?
I think - no. Not possible with locked viewports.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 8 of 12
pendean

RESTORE would be the option to choose another saved VIEW: did you get a chance to look up the command in HELP yet?

There is no word "swapping" in AutoCAD.
Message 9 of 12
shingen_
in reply to: pendean

Hi@pendean 

There doesn't seem to be a Help page for the "View" command in my software. 

"Restore" worked fairly well, but seems impractical as you would need to memorize the name of your view and type it in (I'm working with dozens of saved views). Trying to eliminate unnecessary steps in laying out the sheets. Anyways, I appreciate the tip. 

@maxim_k's screenshot with the "custom view" menu option seems more practical as it lists your saved views, but I don't see those options at the top of my viewport. Is this a full AutoCAD only function?

Thank you

Message 10 of 12
maxim_k

>>>>Is this a full AutoCAD only function?
Looks like - yes, despite the fact that online help has this article:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/ACDLTM/2019/ENU/?guid=GUID-69482C47-5BF4-4AEE-9AB8-3904F4300C20

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 11 of 12
shingen_

Hi @maxim_k, @pendean 

Thanks for your previous comments.

I also had another question in regards to working with inserted "Saved Views" within a layout.

I am finding that lines from paper space that fall along the border of the viewport are obscured by the linetype of the viewport itself (Even with viewports on Defpoints layer). Thus an offset along the perimeter of the viewport necessary to properly represent the Saved View content. 

Is there a way to specify an offset to the viewport to a specific measurement? Usually I have to click or stretch each side of the viewport to do this and type in a distance manually, but I was curious if there is a command to do this automatically?

Message 12 of 12
maxim_k

Hi @shingen_

You can try this trick:
- draw rectangle on the top of viewport border
- use OFFSET command to offset rectangle (polyline) out
- erase initial rectangle
- use VPCLIP command to "clip" viewport "outside": select viewport boundary, hit Return, then select polyline you got after offset.
- use VPLIP again and select "clipped" viewport, then select Delete option.

Possible to create macro for this and assign it to a button on Tool Sets palette.

Actually there could be an easier way - by changing Viewport properties (Width and Height) on the Properties Palette, but looks like there is an old bug related to changing viewport height property via Properties palette - when you change VP Height the scale of the viewport changes too. This bug prevents from using properties palette in your case.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report