AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Insert a Drawing Title under a floor plan with a block

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
JEFFJW9BB
536 Views, 14 Replies

How to Insert a Drawing Title under a floor plan with a block

Under each floor plan I want to use a standard sheet title.  A block makes sense but as the text varies under each plan I don't want to have to do a "save new" for each plan - or must I?  I would end up with a hundred blocks in my library and that does not seam like the best way to do this task.  

Suggestions would be appreciated!

Thank you.

Jeff

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
maxim_k
in reply to: JEFFJW9BB

Hi @JEFFJW9BB ,

Add attribute to the block and you will be able to change the value (text) in this block individually in each block instance.

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 15
JEFFJW9BB
in reply to: maxim_k

Thank you for your reply.  I tried it and it worked!  I appreciate your help.

Jeff

Message 4 of 15
JEFFJW9BB

This is not working for me. When I want to change the text for the drawing in the attributes dialog box it insists on redefining the block and changes all instances.  What am I not doing right?

Message 5 of 15
maxim_k

Hi @JEFFJW9BB ,

How do you change the text?

Can you provide more details?

If you create block with attribute, double-clicking on this block should open Enhanced Attribute Editor, where you change attribute value:

2023-01-30_21-14-58.png

Clicking on OK should update attribute value in the selected block.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 6 of 15
JEFFJW9BB

Please allow me to restate my question.  I bring a block into a drawing and when I double click on the text, AutoCAD takes me to the Block Editor NOT a panel where I can change the attributes for that instance/drawing.  Why does it do that?  

I don't want to change the block I only want to change some of its text for my drawing.

This one is driving me crazy.

Message 7 of 15
JEFFJW9BB

Please disregard message 6 above.  The block I am trying to use came from somebody else and was created many years ago.  That's the problem.  If I make an annotated block myself it works ok.

Message 8 of 15
JEFFJW9BB

I know, clicking should take me to the attributes panel but it does not.  It takes me to the block editor instead..  I think the block is just old and from a different version of auto cad.  I will try to attach the block here:

Message 9 of 15
maxim_k

Hi @JEFFJW9BB ,

The block you attached works just fine - when I open DRAWING_TITLE-2.dwg file and double-click on the block, AutoCAD opens attribute editor:

2023-02-01_21-04-15.png

How do you insert this block into your drawings?

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 10 of 15
JEFFJW9BB

Thank you.  It must have something to do with the way my machine is set up.

I bring blocks by command INSERT. The block window opens on the right and at the bottom I click the button ("browse to insert a drawing as a block into the drawing") I find the drawing then drag it in.  First I have to scale it up because it is tiny tiny then after I scale it up by a factor of 48 if I double click it takes me right to the edit block window.

Thank you again for your interest.

I attached another block with the same problem.

Jeff

Message 11 of 15
maxim_k

Hi @JEFFJW9BB ,

When you insert block this way, you actually get block with attributes - "A-TARG-DT02-IN" inside another block - "Section Mark A2".

In such cases you need to check mark "Explode" option at the bottom of the Blocks Palette before inserting "Section Mark A2.dwg"

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 12 of 15
JEFFJW9BB

Thank you for your reply.

Yes indeed there is something "wrong" with the way I am bringing the file into the drawing.  When I check the dwg file itself ,the attributes panel opens correctly.  When I drag the block or the dwg file in from the list above the insertion panel it does not work.

However, when I click the Explode button and try to bring the file in from my computer either nothing comes in or the screen misbehaves.  One time only part of the Section Mark A2 came in.

Very odd,

Thank you again.

Jeff

Message 13 of 15
pendean

Greetings @JEFFJW9BB
The issue with your Sections Mark A2 is you have a block inside there already, so editing an attribute inside a block that is also inside another block is not a feature of AutoCAD.

AKA you created this section block incorrectly, you cannot bury a block inside a block then expect AutoCAD to go down two levels to reach the attributes.
Find the source A-TARG-DT02-IN block, make a copy of it called SECTION MARK 2, then add the lines/arrow/section elements to it. Use this instead.

That's the exact same problem with your DRAWING TITLE 2 block as well: you must never bury a block with attributes inside another block, AutoCAD's attribute editor will never touch them for editing.
Find the source/original iTTLBUB block, make a copy of it called DRAWING TITLE 2, then inside there add that one line you want/need. Use this instead.

HTH
Message 14 of 15
JEFFJW9BB
in reply to: pendean

Thank you so very much!
Message 15 of 15
JEFFJW9BB

Thank you so much!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report