AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get dimension style to show feet and decimal inches.

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
cmeddock
602 Views, 5 Replies

How to get dimension style to show feet and decimal inches.

Hi. I'm using AutoCAD LT 2022 for Mac.

1. I want to create a dimension style which shows feet and inches. However, I want the inches to be in decimals. For example, the dimension of 4'-6" I want to show as 4.50' or 4.50. The reason is that I'm adding/subtracting dimensions on my calculator. I have been using a dim style which shows all inches, but then I have to take the extra step to convert to feet. For example, 4'-6" shows as 54.

2. Even better if I don't have to use my calculator at all, is there a way for AutoCAD to add all the dimensions for me?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
maxim_k
in reply to: cmeddock

Hi @cmeddock ,

1/ You need to edit current Dimension Style or create new one with Decimal units, 0.00 precision and ' suffix.

Everything is on Primary Units tab: 

2022-12-14_23-10-12.png

2/ >>>>>>is there a way for AutoCAD to add all the dimensions for me

Not sure that I understand your goal correctly. Can you elaborate?

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 6
cmeddock
in reply to: maxim_k

Thanks @maxim_k

1/ That is how I set it up to show me the dimensions in decimal inches. The problem is that its still giving me the dimension in inches, even if I tell the suffix to be in ft. All it did was add the ' suffix without changing the number. I've tried changing the drawing units from Architectural to something else, but no luck.

2/ Like with the AREA command when I Add Object I can select multiple boundaries and it will tell me the total square foot. I'm needing to add up wall lengths. I was hoping I can dimension each wall length and then select all the dimensions and have it give me the total. I have done it in a way where I connect each wall into a long polyline so I can see the total length in the properties window, but that doesn't save me time.

Message 4 of 6
maxim_k

@cmeddock ,

1/ If you want to have decimal, not Imperial, units in the drawing, you need to convert drawing units:

How to change or convert the units of a drawing in AutoCAD

2/ If you need to calculate total length of lines in AutoCAD LT, please review these threads:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-for-mac-forum/total-length-in-macos-autocad-for-mac/td-p/8034...

and

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-for-mac-forum/total-length-in-autocad-lt-for-mac/m-p/11529388...

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 5 of 6
cmeddock
in reply to: maxim_k

@maxim_k 

1/ Yes. That works. I'm grateful for you!

2/ A bit complicated; I think I'll use my calculator. Since you solved my issue above, I now have one less step converting to feet. I also have LT so it sounds like the solution from the threads would not work anyways. But for others, like the person measuring the pipeline, I wonder if my method of connecting all the segments into a single polyline and then just check the length in the properties window would work for them. Just a thought.

Thanks again!

Message 6 of 6
cmeddock

I found another very simple solution to my own question. Hopefully it can help anyone else who comes across this thread. Modify the Dimension Style. Click Alternate Units tab. Check Display alternate units. Modify as you like. You can also Modify the Dimension Style by selecting the dimension. In the properties window check Alt enabled under Alternate Units.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report