Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Font not printing properly from a pdf

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
wildlandscapedesignSLHXS
509 Views, 9 Replies

Font not printing properly from a pdf

Hi, I am having an issue printing the TT font called Archetype. When I print, it changes the font to another basic font. I found this article which touches on my issue, but it doesn't tell me how to capture the font in the drawing and embed it in the pdf. 

It seems like I need to change font from a font type. Can someone help me with this? It seems like Archetype should be a pretty common font.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Hi @wildlandscapedesignSLHXS ,

What AutoCAD version do you use? What macOS is installed on your Mac?

Is Archetype commercial font?

Can you share one of the PDF you created in AutoCAD files with this font?

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 10
Message 4 of 10

This is really helpful, thank you. The second thing you circled, the "PDF Options Dialog Box" seems to be where I can embed the file, only I can't find the dialog box. I tried typing the command "Publish" but still couldn't find the "data" selection where I can embed the font. 

Message 5 of 10

Hi,

I am using AutoCAD For Mac 2023 and Mac OS Monterey 12.1

I am quite sure Archetype came with the program, I have not added it as far as I can remember. It is a TT font as well. I have attached a pdf copy of the design with the font. 

Thank you!

Message 6 of 10

@wildlandscapedesignSLHXS wrote:

I am quite sure Archetype came with the program,...

pendean_0-1687783749201.png

Message 7 of 10

Well, I guess there are some fonts that come with AutoCad that are not used in Adobe Acrobat. This is the font I would like to use though. How can I change my pdf to make Archetype work with Acrobat? thanks. 

Message 8 of 10

In your initial post and later you wrote about Archetype font which looks like this:

2023-06-27_09-34-01.png

BUT in your PDF file has Architectype font which looks differently:

2023-06-27_09-33-21.png

Which font are you referring to in your posts?

I tried to print your PDF with Architectype font installed on my Mac and it prints correctly.

Do you have Architectype font installed on the Mac where you have problems with printing?

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 9 of 10

Thank you, the correct font is the latter one. I am sending it to a local blueprint shop who were not able to come up with the font. Is there a way I can imbed the font? Thanks!

Message 10 of 10

@wildlandscapedesignSLHXS wrote:

...... Is there a way I can imbed the font? Thanks!

The only one way to imbed font in the PDF file when you create it in AutoCAD is to use True Type font. See Help page:

Embed all referenced fonts

Embeds TrueType fonts in the PDF file so that they don't need to be available on the PDF viewer. If you do not select this option, the PDF viewer uses substitute fonts.

Note: The following fonts are not embedded even if you select this option:
  • Fonts that cannot be distributed because of legal restrictions, the determination of which is encoded in the font definition.
  • Fonts that are not TrueType fonts.
  • Vertical Asian fonts.

If you have True Type font installed on Mac, you can use Embed all referenced fonts option in Printer settings - this is the default option:

2023-07-08_10-57-29.png

You can check if the font installed on your Mac is True Type font in the Font Book application:

2023-07-08_10-54-02 (2).png

If the font is Open Type, like on this screenshot:

2023-07-08_10-59-17.png

you cannot imbed it.

The same applies to "Convert all txt to geometry" option in printer settings: AutoCAD can convert to geometry only True type fonts.

I attached sample PDF with embedded font, you can check it on a System without Architectype font installed.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report