AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Plot to PDF or access Plot Dialog Box

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
Anonymous
5137 Views, 17 Replies

Cannot Plot to PDF or access Plot Dialog Box

Hi,

I have AutoCAD 2016 and am unable to plot to PDF and receive the following message when I type "PLOT" into the command line: "Adobe PDF.pc3" The printer in this configuration cannot be found. The default printer in the system will be used." It then takes me to my computer's printer dialog box, where I can do a shady print to PDF workaround, but then my fonts and line weights don't translate.

I've been reading up on the forums, and I'm struggling to fix this because all suggestions involve accessing the plot dialog box - but I cannot access this, because I keep getting the same error message listed above!

I think this may be related to the fact that I share this file with my partner who has a different version of AutoCAD (I believe the file was originally created in an older LT version and now she is operating in AutoCAD 360) and that the pc.3 file being referenced cannot be found on my computer (or at least thats what I'm guessing based on my forum reads). I can't add a new pc.3 file or plotters or anything because I cannot access the dialog box at all. 

Any tips are welcome!

Many thanks,

Adena

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
imadHabash
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi and Welcome to AutoDesk Forum,

i suggest to read this AKN and see if the solution help you.

Regards,

Imad Habash

EESignature

Message 3 of 18
beyoungjr

Hi,

Assuming something @imadHabash linked you to helps...

The Adobe pdf virtual printer is surely a good one but Acad includes the "DWG to PDF" as a virtual printer in the list of system printers.  The Acad pdf printer is the better one to use because it imparts geometric and other Acad data that Adobe overlooks.  This way you always have the native pdf printer no matter what system you open the dwg on.  The system might not have Adobe Reader or Acrobat installed but some other pdf utility, so the Adobe virtual printer may not be available on every system.

The error appears because the Adobe pdf printer was saved as the device for the file you are using and isn't found.  This can be altered by simply choosing the desired printer you want to use and select the "Apply to layout" button in the print dialog. You can the cancel the plot and save the drawing (don't actually have to complete the print/plot process).  The error should not re-appear unless the printer is again changed.

Cheers!

Blaine Young
Senior Engineering Technician, US Army

Message 4 of 18
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I just posted in your other thread about font issues so I will reply on the plot issue here.

Since you are apparently using different PDF Print drivers, the Adobe one is not being found. If you would like to send me a sample file and tell me what sheet sizes you normally print to, I can help you set up one of the "in-the-box" drivers and create a PC3 file for you.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: imadHabash

Thank you for your response!

I did read this, my problem is I cannot install the missing driver because I cannot access the Add-A-Plotter Wizard or any other configurations related to the plotter. Everytime I try I get the same error. 

The command PLOTTERMANAGER does not yield any response for me. If I do it manually, i.e. Application Menu > Print > Manage Plotters... I dont get to the last step because selecting "Print" gives me my standard computer printer dialog box. Also, supposedly my configurations are stored in the Plotters folder but I do not see that in my Plotters folder. (See below/attachment) 
Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: beyoungjr

Thank you so much for your response. Where can I find the option to select the native DWG to PDF option? Every time I try to plot or print it sends me to my computer's printer dialog box, which obviously does not have the native AutoCAD options listed.

Thank you!

Message 7 of 18
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

From your screenshot it appears that you are working on the Mac version. Let me move your two threads to that forum and I will continue to assist you. 

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 8 of 18
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

AutoCAD for Mac 2016 does not have that driver. By default, PDFs created in this version rely on the SAVE as PDF that is built into the operating system.

If you are willing to share a drawing with your titleblock on it I can help you to set up a Page Setup and then show you how to print to the PDF.

Please also include your plot style so I can incorporate that too.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

Thanks!

Message 10 of 18
Anonymous

John - 

Were you able to see the attachment I sent last? 

I can print to PDF using my typical printer dialog box, but then I lose my line weights, it prints in color and I need to bring it into photoshop to put it in B&W and darken. Its clearly NOT the right system I should be using!

Message 11 of 18
pendean

Your second post about AutoCAD360, you need to be asking in the correct forum way over there https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-360/ct-p/225

Aut0CAD360 is cloud based, it's own thing, has little to nothing to do with desktop AutoCAD (mac or pc). Hope that helps.
Message 12 of 18
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I did not see an attachment. Put your titleblock and your plot style (CTB I am assuming) into a ZIP file and then attach on a post on the website. Don't do it by replying in email. Attachments don't seem to survive that process.

As soon as I see your files I can help you get this straightened out.

John Vellek

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous

John, Thanks for your help! I hope this works.

Message 14 of 18
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I opened your file and went to each layout tab. On each one, I created a Page Setup. For the large format (D-size sheet), I based the setup on a printer driver that I have installed for a HP Pagewide Plotter. I found that by installing this driver I can pick from it's sheet sizes and I have really good luck with that as opposed to creating custom sheets. If you have a different large format driver, simply go into each page setup and change the printer to that driver and then pick the D size. I also assigned your CTB file which I renamed to Adena.

Now when you want to plot, you will brin  up the plot window and use the Save as PDF in the bottom left corner.

Screen Shot 2017-03-31 at 1.42.21 PM.png

John Vellek

Message 15 of 18
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I am checking back to see if my post helped you with your problem or if you need additional assistance or information. Please add a post with how you decide to proceed and your results so other Community members may benefit.

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous

Hi John,

Thank you so much for this. I downloaded what you sent back but I'm still not having luck. Now the error is just reading that "Pagewide" printer cannot be found - which I guess is the plotter driver you're referring to. I tried to download and install this driver but I cannot complete the installation because it doesnt detect the device (obviously, because I don't own it!). I send my PDFs to a print shop and don't have an in house large format printer, so not sure how to workaround that.

When I save to PDF - It works as it has been, but its just coming out in color (not b&w with respective lineweights) and the formatting/font is all messed up.

Message 17 of 18
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous, To get the driver to install just give it a fake IP address such as 10.10.10.243 (I am guessing that doesn't exist on your network).

When you are doing your save to PDF, make sure that you still have the plot style selected.

John Vellek

Message 18 of 18
Anonymous

John,

I cannot thank you enough for all of this and your taking GREAT time and energy to help walk me through this. I still haven't figured out the driver situation, but I believe I've gotten to the source of the issue. My partner, who is on maternity leave at the moment and unavailable, was using a different CTB file that was not local on my computer. I still don't have it, but I'm able to select one of AutoCADs automated CTBs "grayscale.ctb" and this seems to print to PDF appropriately in one single step, recognizing our lineweights correctly. Regarding the font issue, in trying to make adjustments elsewhere I must have deleted this font from my computer, so of course the software did not recognize it. After all this, it seems like such an obvious fix, but it took me AGES to get to this for some reason. I cannot thank you enough for all of your time - I learned a ton through this process, so thank you for helping me through it!

All the best,

Adena

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report