AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD for Mac 2018 Re-Occuring Problem Slow Drawing Operations

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
ANDREMV
249 Views, 2 Replies

AutoCAD for Mac 2018 Re-Occuring Problem Slow Drawing Operations

Hello all

I'm having a re-occuring problem hoping to get some help with. While working on architectural and MEP working drawings i often "save as" many time to create backups in case i want to go back to an old file. It not uncommon for me to have 30 dwg files for one building project. The files never get huge but in the case of what is happening to me today i have about a 4.5 mb file that i'm working in everything going fine. I decide to edit this file by removing alot of info i dont want / need anymore. Whenever i do a save as the file size jumps up to 5.5 mb or so and all of a sudden the drawing file becomes very difficult to work in with every move or selection lagging significantly. Example: i go to select a number of objects and my cursor just drags out the process, taking way longer than typical to select objects, copy objects, move, or draw new.

I'm running high sierra 10.13.6, ACAD LT 2018, everything is up to date

i have already tried the following:

in which at a certain point when I do a save as the file slows downs so much it becomes unworkable - I am trying to select objects and there is a long time lag to even select things

I’m running high Sierra 10.13.6 

I’ve tried:

• In AutoCAD, using the command line, set the following variables to zero:

DYNMODE
    SELECTIONEFFECT
    PRESELECTIONEFFECT
    LWDISPLAY
    LINESMOOTHING
    PROXYGRAPHICS
    PROXYNOTICE
    PROXYSHOW
  • Change the visual style to 2D Wireframe (not for AutoCAD LT).
    • Input admin password if it asks for permission.

• Quit AutoCAD 
  • Open the Terminal window, and run the following script (you can copy and paste it in terminal and hit Enter):

scutil --set HostName $(scutil --get LocalHostName)

• Input admin password if it asks for permission.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks !!

Andre
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
pendean
in reply to: ANDREMV

Have you tried using AUDIT and PURGE commands o the slow file yet? That's how you fix problems like the ones you have after erasing a lot of content.

Message 3 of 3
maxim_k
in reply to: ANDREMV

Welcome to Autodesk Forums!

Hi Andre,

I tried to open the drawing you emailed to me in AC 2018 and was not able to reproduce the issue you described (drawing file becomes very difficult to work in with every move or selection lagging significantly). Only when I select all objects in the drawing area (model space), then AutoCAD hangs for 6-7 seconds, but there are a lot of objects in such selection and that could explain some delay during selection.

BUT: I notices some missing external references (DWG and images) attached to the drawing, but I don't have them and if you using these Xrefs in your drawing, then testing on my side differs from your experience.
There are also about 2400 proxy objects (Civil 3D) and I believe they are non-graphical objects, but on my side they don't affect selection performance.

Running AUDIT on your drawing shows some hatch errors. Have you tried to repair them with AUDIT command?
Do you have this problem with only one particular drawing?

As the last step:
Have you tried to Reset AutoCAD?

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report