AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Compatibility with OS X El Capitan (10.11)

264 REPLIES 264
SOLVED
Message 1 of 265
wei503
56143 Views, 264 Replies

AutoCAD Compatibility with OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Apple has announced the next OS X El Capitan earlier today, and the first preview version is already available for app developers. AutoCAD team is starting to analyze the compatibility on this OS and preparing to fix the potential issues.

Some of AutoCAD users may have access to the El Capitan preview version, and would like to test AutoCAD on it. Please kindly post any of your findings in this thread, that would help other users and also the AutoCAD team.

Please include the following info in your posts for reference:

-OS X version(for example, DP1 15A178w)

-AutoCAD version

Thanks,
The AutoCAD for Mac Team

==================================

Update:

The updates for AutoCAD and AutoCAD LT 2015/2014 to fix the compatibiliy issues on El Capitan are available. You can click menu AutoCAD or AutoCAD LT > Check for Updates to download it. You can also go to pages below to download the update:

AutoCAD 2015 Update 3:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-for-mac/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autocad-2015...

AutoCAD LT 2015 Update 5:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-lt-for-mac/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autocad-l...

AutoCAD 2014 for Mac SP4: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-for-mac/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autocad-2014...

AutoCAD LT 2014 for Mac SP4: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-lt-for-mac/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autocad-l...

Thanks,

The AutoCAD for Mac Team

Wei Ma
AutoCAD for Mac QA Manager

Tags (1)
264 REPLIES 264
Message 121 of 265
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

waiting for an update
Message 122 of 265
Anonymous
in reply to: wei503

Hello,

I upgraded my macbook, to OS X to El Capitan, and i am using Autocad 2013 on my macbook. Soon after upgrading, i am not able to open any of my autocad files. Also my Autocad crashes on its own. Can anyone help me with it? I tried to reboot, but it did not help.

thanks.

Message 123 of 265
Anonymous

So Autodesk, no online support, no telephone support and no further updates on this fprum. You've monumentally failed all Mac users this week havent you! I wouldnt mind so much but my AutoCAD software is the most expensive I've ever bought so I'd have thought the customer service experience would be a whole lot better than this!

Message 124 of 265
O.Tan

If you're referring that Apple needs to check all software then that's not possible as there's hundred of thousands of Mac apps and many we personally don't know of, yet alone Apple. The responsibility of ensuring an app works fine in an OS falls under the responsibility of the app vendor, in this case Autodesk.

Apple updates their OS in about a regular time frame each year, having private and public betas and even mention GM version which is the version that'll be shipped when release. Developers these days has more then enough time to fix their latest software before the release of the new OS.

but not only AD, I just found out that Siemens SolidEdge doesn't work with Windows 10 as well, and users will have to wait for their maintenance pack 1 for the official fix, what horrible services they're offering considering how expensive these softwares are.

on the other hand, for those looking for a temporary fix, you can use AutoCad Mandalore which is the beta for upcoming autocad version I believe.

Omar Tan
Malaysia
Mac Pro (Late 2013) | 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5 | 12GB 1.8 GHz DDR3 ECC | Dual 2GB AMD FirePro D300
MacBook Pro 15" (Late 2016) | 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 | 16GB 2.1 GHz LPDDR3 | 4GB AMD RadeonPro 460
macOS Sierra, Windows 10

Message 125 of 265
wispoxy

This is total non-sense. When a windows update happens Autodesk is all prepared with troubleshooting, patching, guides, suggestions, and more. Just look at what happened with Windows 10, they started talking about it months and months before the release.

Guess Autodesk prefers to blow off mac users by waiting for an update to happen before even mentioning about taking action. All the managers and leaders mentioned Windows 10 at least 4 months earlier, where was the leader or moderator of mac forums to mention this?

I'm hoping one of these days Autodesk will reach the goddess level of google support.

Message 126 of 265
Anonymous
in reply to: wispoxy

Thanks for the information O.Tan.
You might be right,but as an average user the most common applications are office ,i mean word excel...etc,safari or IE,iTunes and music ,acrobat , and last autocad in my field.

Anyway,i am not blaming anyone for this uncommon problem(crashing apps),it is a problem and whom ever can help has to fix.

Thanks in advance as we both need to work using mac and autocad.

Message 127 of 265
Anonymous

So I have gleaned a (tiny) bit more info via Twitter...

https://twitter.com/simonbell99/status/651336992777764864

The advice given is to revert back to Yosemite using Time Machine. Unfortunately I don't use Time Machine so if I reveret back to Yosemite I'd lose all my other software and then have to reinstall it, together with 70GB of Dropbox files and other media. This solution also requires a fair amount of technical expertise, which I don't (care to) have.

The other alternative is to install the BETA version of AutoCAD to use until they get their act together and patch my incredibly expensive piece of (now useless) AutoCAD software.

As the above solutions are not really solutions at all I've actually driven to my old office to borrow a desktop PC to use until Autodesk sort this mess out for their Mac users. Given Autodesk's non response to this issue I would think I'll be using the desktop PC for quite some time.

Message 128 of 265
Anonymous

I have a Mid 2010 MacBook Pro, and OSX 10.11... and it just wont open autocad. I try to open a file, it crashes. I try to go from "model" to "layout" it crashes. I tried to make a "block" it crashed. It just wont work for me. Help please.
Message 129 of 265
Anonymous

Doesn't anyone actually read the thread they are posting in ?
Message 130 of 265
David_Stacey

Aparently not paxman.steve!

It is unfortunate so many users have decided to blindly upgrade their operating system without considering if the software they use is compatible.  It is also frightening that many users don't even have a backup to roll back to.

Last week I came on here and checked if there were any issues with AutoCAD Mac 2015 on El Capitan - before I upgraded to El Capitan.  Of course, I found out there were issues and didn't bother to upgrade.  This should be standard practise for anyone who needs AutoCAD to make a living.

I agree Autodesk has had considerable time to test AutoCAD Mac on El Capitan.  The developer preview, beta and public beta should have been sufficient time for a fix to be released however AutoCAD is a complex piece of software that interacts with the operating system in many ways.  The underlying graphics API's have most likely been affected by the implementation of Apple's Metal - hopefully we'll see a fix in the coming weeks.

Sadly, too many users are blaming Autodesk for a problem that was only caused by their mistake of upgrading to an unsupported operating system!  I understand the frustration these users are going through, but everyone needs to also think before they decide to upgrade and then take ownership of their actions.

It is also worth noting Microsoft Office 2016 has the same kinds of issues as AutoCAD Mac.

Again, the bottom line is don't upgrade until you have checked all your software is compatible with the system it is going to run on!

Message 131 of 265
O.Tan
in reply to: David_Stacey

I don't think Metal affected Autocad graphics API, it's likely other things that caused AutoCad to crashed as my primary 3D CAD software right now is Autodesk Fusion 360 and it runs fine in El Capitan.

Omar Tan
Malaysia
Mac Pro (Late 2013) | 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5 | 12GB 1.8 GHz DDR3 ECC | Dual 2GB AMD FirePro D300
MacBook Pro 15" (Late 2016) | 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 | 16GB 2.1 GHz LPDDR3 | 4GB AMD RadeonPro 460
macOS Sierra, Windows 10

Message 132 of 265
maxim_k

Autodesk Fusion 360 is cloud based product, so it does not depend on operating system updates.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 133 of 265
O.Tan
in reply to: maxim_k

Sorry but no, only the model data and information is stored on the cloud, processing is local hardware and OS based. 

Omar Tan
Malaysia
macOS Sierra, Windows 10

Message 134 of 265
maxim_k
in reply to: O.Tan

"Fusion 360 consists of two parts: A cloud-based back-end, running on Autodesk 360 web services, and a “thin” desktop client.

The Fusion 360 client is a functional CAD system at heart, but quite a bit of the overhead functionality you’d expect in a CAD system has been pulled out, and moved to the cloud. For example, all of the importers and exporters for various file formats now reside on the cloud. So do file management services, rendering services and quite a bit more.

The Fusion 360 client is based on Webkit (the open source web browser engine), and uses HTML5 and WebGL for UI and graphics."

I think the words marked in red explains why Fusion is not affected by OS updates.

AutoCAD has it's own graphics engine which is the main case of incompatibility at the moment.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 135 of 265
O.Tan
in reply to: maxim_k

Rendering service is cloud based only if you choose the cloud render option, if not it'll be local based. With the exception of the file based management and translation, everything else on Fusion is local based.

And if you hang out in Fusion forums, you'll see that there's OS or hardware related problems, but the Fusion team has fixed it before the release of El Capitan. 

Also Fusion viewport relies on local hardware (GPU + CPU) as lower specced computer has a lot of difficulties running Fusion, having to resort to turning off all effects and etc. 

If I'm not mistaken, a few of Autodesk products share the same graphics engine. If I recall there's this option called Open GL (Core Graphics) that's beta in Autocad 2015? In Fusion for OSX users, we too have that option called Open GL (Core Graphics) which also is in beta as well. 

Omar Tan
Malaysia
macOS Sierra, Windows 10

Message 136 of 265
Anonymous

Hi,

I've registered for beta testing AutoCAD Mandalore and IT IS WORKING on El Capitan, so this can be a short time solution.

Untill regular AutoCAD start working again.

Maybe that information will help you guys 🙂

Tags (2)
Message 137 of 265
Anonymous

just in case everyone has missed this. im not sure if this has already been posted here.

Oct 06 2015

Applies to AutoCAD LT for Mac 2014, AutoCAD LT for Mac 2015, AutoCAD for Mac 2014, and AutoCAD for Mac 2015

Issue: You want to know if your software is compatible with Mac OS X v10.11.x (El Capitan). 
Solution: 

Mac OS® X v10.11.x (El Capitan) is not supported. Your Autodesk software may launch, but it will not operate properly and damage to your project data could occur.

We strongly encourage you to wait until service packs are available before upgrading your Mac to OSX 10.11.x (El Capitan). Carefully check operating system compatibility with your version of AutoCAD for Mac before upgrading.

Autodesk will release service packs for AutoCAD for Mac 2014 and 2015 in the next several weeks that will allow those versions to run on OSX 10.11.x (El Capitan). When a service pack is released for your version, you'll receive notice in the Mac OS Notification Center. Availalbe service packs are also posted on the AutoCAD for Mac support pages here:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-for-mac/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles...

Message 138 of 265
Anonymous

Is there anyone can teach me how to plug in the multiline style function on Mac? As I found Mac's version quite inconvenient to architect and engineering field. Multiline should be the basic function for all users.

Thanks

[http://mlm.polyu.edu.hk/intimate/templates/images/PolyU/PolyU_Email_Signature.jpg]

Disclaimer:

This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and notify the sender and The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (the University) immediately. Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

The University specifically denies any responsibility for the accuracy or quality of information obtained through University E-mail Facilities. Any views and opinions expressed are only those of the author(s) and do not necessarily represent those of the University and the University accepts no liability whatsoever for any losses or damages incurred or caused to any party as a result of the use of such information.
Message 139 of 265
Anonymous

Hi guys!

I've installed the Beta version of Autocad Mandalore an it´s running so good till the moment. I recomend all of you to do the same, it´s the only exit we´ve to run autocad on EC OS X.

Saludos!

Message 140 of 265
dr.palmer

BEGIN RANT:cyclone:

Question.

Does anyone of you guys backup their computer?

Things happen, bad software, lost computers and so on.

Get a thumb drive (128GB is usually around $40) or better yet, get a usb (3.0) drive.

These computers are not refridgerators where you open the door and chunk something in and don't worry about it

Things do happen.

:nut_and_bolt:END RANT

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report