AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add a new layout in an existing sheet to a project

27 REPLIES 27
SOLVED
Message 1 of 28
Anonymous
2960 Views, 27 Replies

Hi,

I have an existing project set up, which as numerous DWGs linked each with 1 or more layouts.  I now want to link a new layout in a DWG file thats already part of the project?

How do I do this without deleting the dwg from the project & then re-importing it again (losing all of the layout referencing in the process?

Thanks

Tags (1)
27 REPLIES 27
Message 2 of 28
imadHabash
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi and welcome to Autodesk Forums,

We still need more clear information. What do you mean by "Link" word that you used? If you want to add a new layout, you can do it easily without losing anything. 

Please describe your problem again. 🙂

Waiting...

Imad Habash

EESignature

Message 3 of 28
Anonymous
in reply to: imadHabash

Hi imadhabash,

So, I have a blank DWG which has my title block, which has insert fields linking to various project & layout properties fields. I create a new project & import the DWG into the project by right-clicking on the project in the Project Manager & selecting "Add new layout from drawing".

Inside the DWG I have two layouts (say, 1- ground floor plan & 2 - first floor plan), both of which contain data from the same model space.

I later meet with the client who decides they want a basement, so I draw this in the same DWG model space & then create a new layout for the basement. The only way that I can find to get this new layout into the Project Manager is to remove the other layouts from the DWG out of the Project Manager & then re-import the drawing, whereby I then have to re-enter all of the project properties information for the individual layouts (drawing number, name, etc).

There must be some way to just add the new layout to the Project Manager window as you create it?

Message 4 of 28
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I know exactly what you are trying to do and you wont believe how easy this is to do!

With your sheet set open, and your drawing open, select the new layout tab and drag it onto the sheetset window. You now have the option to add it to the sheetset!

Capture.PNG

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question. 

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 5 of 28
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

Did my drag and drop method work for you?

Please let me know the status of your issue.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 6 of 28
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

Sorry for the slow reply. I didn't see your previous answer. It doesn't seem to work like this on the Mac. This is what I was hoping you could do, but you can't drag the layouts into the project/sheet set.

Message 7 of 28
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

Yes, I agree that it doesn't work this way on a Mac - different forum.

I worked to get this feature to work for a while this morning and if you open the layouts window it appears to try to let you drag the layout to the Project Manager window but it doesn't do anything. I will log this as a defect.

Thanks for your contribution. I am sorry that this does not work for you.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Message 8 of 28
wispoxy

Don't you mean:

Add a new sheet into an existing sheet set.

You cannot add a new layout into an existing sheet, but you can in a sheet set.

Message 9 of 28
Anonymous

@john.vellek Any ideas how quickly this will likely be pushed through & an update issued?

Likely not a massive job to get fixed & it's a critical part of our workflow.

Thanks

T

Message 10 of 28
Anonymous
in reply to: wispoxy

@wispoxyI I'm not sure what sheet sets are. In laymans terms, I have the Project Manager toolbar & I want to show multiple layouts (sheets?) from DWG A & multiple layouts from DWG B in a project.

Afterward, I want to create additional layouts in DWG A, which I then want to import into the original project in the Project Manager window. This is what I'm struggling with. It looks from @john.vellek post that there is indeed a bug on the Mac version that's causing this problem. I don't have a Windows machine to try it out on.

Message 11 of 28
maxim_k

Hi @Anonymous,

Project Manager in AutoCAD for Mac has limited functionality in comparison to the Sheet Set Manager in AutoCAD for Windows.
Inability to add newly created layouts from the drawing which is already included in the Project to the Project is one such limitation, as well as the inability to use drag-and-drop when you add layouts to the existing project.
So it is not a bug, it is rather a lack of functionality.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 12 of 28
wispoxy

See images attached. Are you talking about:

1.)

wisp_kn01x.png

-or-

2.)

wisp_kn02x.png

Message 13 of 28
Anonymous

It's different on a Mac, but the tabs for the layouts annotated in 1 are what I'm trying to import into the Project Manager window, which looks a little like the Sheet Set Manager (which I don't have on 2016 LT Mac).

If you haven't already, have a play around with Mac 2016 LT & you'll see what I mean.

Message 14 of 28
Anonymous

Its different on a Mac... but, the tabs for the layouts annotated in 1 are what I'm trying to import into the Project Manager window which looks a little like the sheet set manager (which I don't have on 2016 LT Mac).

If you haven't already, have a play around with Mac 2016 LT & you'll see what I mean.

Message 15 of 28
Anonymous
in reply to: maxim_k

@maxim_k So the Sheet Set Manager is the Windows version (hence why I can't see it on the Mac). I'm paying a lot of money for my AutoCAD Mac licenses for my office, so if the functionality is lacking, I'd expect Autodesk to rectify the situation fairly quickly (otherwise I cannot see the point in having the Project Manager feature). It's a bit like if the Mac version were able to draw lines, but not circles!

Message 16 of 28
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I agree that the issue needs attention. I have logged it as a defect and not a wish or requested feature. When you look at the layout in a window it clearly lets you drag one onto the Project Manager but it doesn't do anything.

I hope that it will get some traction and resolution soon but I am not in control of that.

Thanks for your patience.

John Vellek

Message 17 of 28
Anonymous

Great.

Yeah - needs jumping on quickly. A month's worth of my license payment
would cover a coder's time to build the functionality into the software &
test the problem. If there's anything more I can do, as a customer, then let
me know.

Message 18 of 28
wispoxy

If you can't create a new one, try copying one. Hold CTRL and drag and drop.
Message 19 of 28
Anonymous

Ctrl provides right click on a Mac, so it just brings up the right click menu prompt when you go to drag & drop.  Are you testing anything on a Mac?

Message 20 of 28
Anonymous

Autodesk - why wasn't this fixed in release 4?  How about you reduce your monthly subscription until you get the product working correctly?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report