cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wire/cable lengths

Wire/cable lengths

So today’s idea (and they usually pop up when i have an issue)

Is wire/cable lengths in schematics

At some point in the future ACADE will eventually integrate with Inventor to the point where it might be a serious contender against Solidworks with Solidworks electrical

Wires need the ability to add from the wire edit menu a wire length the same goes for cable markers so at present we can calculate total wire/cable usage in a project

With wires ACADE needs to understand each individual wire segment and its length

I can live with this data being exported out to excel where I can calculate the amount of wire/cable used on a project

But in the future ACADE and inventor need to talk bi-directionally with wire/cable data so you can move a part in the 3d environment and the wire/cable length will change this needs to be written back to the schematics so the parts lists and various reports will then update correctly

Yes I can add a user attribute into wire numbers and cable markers I’m confidant cable markers will work no problem but with wire numbers I need to investigate ( I suspect that we are in having fixed wire number territory for each wire segment which as you already know will make the audit a mess again)

Now the reason for this idea my client wants wire/cable lengths in reports which at present does not exist the idea is getting these values into the purchasing system and ensuring the shop floor has enough cable/wire etc

to give you an idea the size of my issue the to/from report has over 3000 line items

This will need to be addressed as part of the end game of having a fully functional Inventor / ACADE Link Smiley Happy

7 Comments
mathalekar
Alumni
Status changed to: Under Review

vikas.vaishnav
Autodesk

Thanks for your valuable feedback. Definitely whenever we decide to integrate with Inventor, wire/cable length is an important data item to be exchanged between Inventor and Electrical. However i wanted to understand that is it required for the length to be bi-directional update or is it something that always comes in as data feed from Inventor. Do you think Inventor is a better judge to decide upon these values?

Regards,

Vikas

AutoCAD Electrical,

Product Owner.

ccad2509
Advisor

What?

"Definitely whenever we decide to integrate with Inventor" have you guys at Autodesk totally lost it

Solidworks is slaughtering you in Europe with a fully integrated Solidworks to Solidworks electrical link

Eplan talks directly to inventor where Acade does not this year the Eplan update included full integration with vault so there is no excuse an Autodesk sales rep can make not to have inventors and Eplan working together

Make this priority 1 otherwise your going to loose even more market share 

To answer your question if the wire harness is inside a panel than then the lengths are generally fixed and the Acade user is the one controlling this information

Now if the cable/cable harness leaves the panel and connects to a field item the inventor user may move the position of the end device making the cable /harness longer/shorter which means this information needs to be passed back to Acade no excuses the data needs to fully bi directional

This is how eplan links to Inventor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IZh_2UY0T8

Be honest can Acade and inventor do anything Eplan does in this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWGc-uvriKc

That is what you got to beat to become the best !!!!!!

This was one of the updates to Eplan this year what did we get for Acade 2015!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7yiU_ZLRm4

Wake up when are going to realise your loosing with your current mindset of incremental improvements on code that doesn’t compare to the market leaders In basic functionality

vikas.vaishnav
Autodesk

Thanks for highlighting the importance of Electromechanical workflow. As you said we have to do something this release to be in market, we have taken our first step towards it in ACADE 2016 release. The beta to which is already out. I would encourage you to review beta and suggest further improvements. 

As per wire length, in this beta you can see that we were able to give you an interface where you can export wire length to xls from ACADE, but the feature needs more work to be done in subsequent releases. We will try to add attributes like wire lenght, cable length to reports also. 

Please go through Beta and let us know your feedback for the same. 

Regards,

AutoCAD Electrical Team. 

vikas.vaishnav
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Part of your idea to view wire lenght in ACADE, ACADE and INVENTOR handshake is accepted and other part for these attributes showing in reports is under review for next releases. To test out the accepted part please try out our beta. 

Thanks,

AutoCAD Electrical Team. 

ccad2509
Advisor

Vikas

what part of my 60hr+ paid week should i sacrifice to do some unpaid work for autodesk

if your prepared to pay me then i will do your job of beta testing your product

you might even get access to the 100 pages of bugs and functionality flaws i had to compile to justify why autocad electrical is such a poor product compared to equivalent other cad package's but somehow i don't think that's going to happen

t_chaws
Alumni
Status changed to: Implemented

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report