cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limiting Pin Connections Similar to Terminals

Limiting Pin Connections Similar to Terminals

I can't find a way to do this, so I'm asking for it here.  There needs to be a way to limit the number of connections to a pin similar to a terminal.  In my industry we use a lot of complex relays that have Phoenix style terminals for connections.  But since this relay is modeled as a whole, these are pins, not terminals.  I need to be able to prevent the software from trying to land more than one wire on these.  Of course it can be handled manually, and often as not the way we use these there is only one connection anyway, but to prevent errors from getting out, a limit would be nice.

Regular relay pins (threaded studs) can take several connections if needed, so this needs to be an individual pin or component level thing, not a drawing or project wide thing.

4 Comments
t_chaws
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Anonymous
Not applicable

Additional comments were supplied to Mauyresh Athalekar via email at his request.

Thanks.

Kelly_Shuman
Advocate

I did not know that terminals limit the number of connections...if indeed you imply this is a solution to horizontal parent/child blocks only.   The stock terminals neither limit the number of wires to a single connection, much less limit the total number of wires going to the block according to their rated capacity.  This almost sounds like a parameter for the Catalog.  Having multiple wire connections to a common terminal connection incurs a duplicate wire number.  And, a duplicate wire numbers are created with multiple wires going to connectors; which Cable and Harness REALLY does not like.

Vendors should create these blocks.  Please make it possible for Vendors to gain a competitve edge by providing good schematic and footprint blocks....once they can limit the number of connections to pins and terminals in a logical fashion.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

By default I don't think they do limit connections.  However, you CAN limit the number of connections as shown below.  This may also depend on how the catalog information is set up.  I have our stock terminal boards entered into our catalog with the per terminal connection limits pre-set.

For example, our wiring standards only allow for two wires on each side of the terminal.  (We use large terminal blocks, not stackable terminals, barriers and endcaps.)

ACADE_TerminalLimits.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

AutoCAD Beta