AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wires take on a life of their own!

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
Anonymous
2035 Views, 19 Replies

Wires take on a life of their own!

See the attached drawing segment showing the results of my attempt to run a wire across a terminal. I am finding this "feature" to be very distracting. The only way to prevent it seems to be to leave the wire short of the terminal and then use the STRETCH command. The terminal is an untouched IEC library symbol with correctly placed connection points bearing the correct directional attributes.

I am using ACADE 2007 with angled wire connections turned on.

MR
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I found this so annoying I stopped using the "insert wire" command, I set my layer to the wire layer I want then I just use the line command, seems to work just fine for me. Maybe somebodey else can elaborate a little on this issue?
Message 3 of 20
dougmcalexander

The angled wire setting inserts a symbol that appears as an angled wire connection. It is not the appropriate choice when you are so close to a symbol. It cannot connect directly to a symbol. But fortunately AcadE also allows you to conect more than one wire to a component terminal. You can simply click the Insert Wire command and place your mouse over the connection point of the terminal you wish to run a second wire from. AcadE will automatically start the second wire at a 45-degree angle. Optionally you can fly out the insert wire icon menu and select either 22.5, 67.5, or 45 degree wire angles. These are actual wire segments that insert at an angle. These are used specifically to connect more than one wire to a component terminal. If you want to show a wire angling into another wire at a midpoint, use the angled wire symbol. I find it much easier to default to dots and replace the dots with angled wire symbols where desired. If you fly out the Insert Dot Tee Markers icon to the second option (see attached) you can select to insert an angled tee marker. Insert exactly over the middle of a node dot and the dot gets replaced by the angled tee symbol. Press the space bar until you get the desired orientation. With version 2008 and later this orientation also sequences the wire list accordingly.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 4 of 20
vladop

I have the same strait line problem, and cannot believe the answer.

Now we know how to do the thing that we want to avoid.

Message 5 of 20
dougmcalexander

I'm not sure what you are referring to. A straight line problem? What is it that you want to avoid? I have used the competitors and I find AutoCAD Electrical to be very strong and flexible with regard to managing wires. You are not limited to using snap, but you can if you wish. I do. You can use either dots or angles or both as desired. You can replace dots anytime you wish. You can connect two wires to the same connection point, just like the real world. You can use regular AutoCAD line commands to run your wires or you can use the AutoCAD Electrical smart tools. People at Autodesk can tell you that I don't give them a free pass. I voice concern where I see an issue, but managing wires with AutoCAD Electrical has not been an area I would consider as a weakness.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Message 6 of 20
Anonymous

I believe he is talking about the auto routing that
ACADE does. When you have a connection with 1 wire already connected and try to
connect a second, ACADE automatically routes it to a free connection
point.

It would be nice if we could actually toggle this
feature on and off.

Regards Brad

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
I'm
not sure what you are referring to. A straight line problem? What is it that
you want to avoid? I have used the competitors and I find AutoCAD Electrical
to be very strong and flexible with regard to managing wires. You are not
limited to using snap, but you can if you wish. I do. You can use either dots
or angles or both as desired. You can replace dots anytime you wish. You can
connect two wires to the same connection point, just like the real world. You
can use regular AutoCAD line commands to run your wires or you can use the
AutoCAD Electrical smart tools. People at Autodesk can tell you that I don't
give them a free pass. I voice concern where I see an issue, but managing
wires with AutoCAD Electrical has not been an area I would consider as a
weakness.
Message 7 of 20
vladop

Please, give stretch wire command all the functionality of the ACAD Extend command:

-selection of wire(s) you want to stretch your wire to

-fence selection of wires you want to extend

-SHIFT-select for trimming.

ACADE is great, but I think you are going to fast. You think much more about new features (like circuit builder - which is great) than about some basic issues like:

- after running RETAG some child components that are not in the same drawing with parent are not retagged,

- There is no Project-wide renumbering of multiple (or all) terminal strips

- dialog boxes should be more flexible; sorting by clicking header, customization of column width

- X-Y coordinates in export to spreadsheet

- In IEC mode, if you insert child for the parent that is in another drawing by using project button in Insert/Edit child component, there is no "-" at the beginning; the same happens if you export and update from spreadsheet,

- Merging in cross-ref tables doesn't work properly; if second contact in table is FORM-C, and first one is e.g. NO, than cells in 2nd and 3rd row ­should be merged, not 1st and 2nd.

Please, read this:

http://www.blog.cadnauseam.com/2008/11/28/how-well-cooked-is-the-average-major-new-autocad-feature-t...

Message 8 of 20
dougmcalexander

I think you must have me confused with someone from Autodesk. I am not an Autodesk employee. I just happen to have been using the program since 1997, along with a couple of others. I don't disagree with you on some points. I too think too much time is spent on new features and not enough on enhancements to existing features.

As far as the stretch wire command, all of the things you wish for can be done with standard AutoCAD commands like stretch, extend, etc. Why not use them since you are already familiar with them? All that makes a line a wire is the fact that it is assigned to a wire layer. You can insert and manipulate wires using the standard AutoCAD line tool and editing tools. The stretch wire command is a command I asked for back in the 1990s. I intended to pick the command and then pick the wire I wanted to stretch and finally click the component terminal I wanted to stretch it to. The developers gave it a bit more horsepower by allowing it to search for a component wire connection with no wire and make the connection without any extra mouse clicks by the user. It is simply an intelligent form of the extend command that doesn't require us to pick the extend to entity. It knows to look for an open wire connection or even a wire end that happens to be in the same plane as the wire that is being stretched. Beyond those scenarios why not just use standard AutoCAD commands that you already know and love.

You can renumber terminal strips project-wide using the Terminal Strip Utilities under the Project pull-down menu.

Doug McAlexander

Message 9 of 20
vladop

SORRY, yes, I thought you were from Autodesk.

I use standard ACAD commands but I prefer stretch wire command because of automatic dot insertion.

I sometimes use Terminal Renumber (Project-wide) but you can only renumber one by one. Why not all or group of terminal strips.
Message 10 of 20
Anonymous

To address a few of the items you listed
-

If you can send me some drawings to reproduce any
retag issues related to children on another drawing I can log this issue. Please
include what version of AcadE you are using. My direct email is
href="mailto:pat.murnen@autodesk.com">pat.murnen@autodesk.com

I would recommend Terminal Strip editor for
renumbering multiple terminal strips.

I logged the wish to have the X-Y coordinate
exported to the spreadsheet.

If you let me know specific dialogs that it would
be nice to have the sorting by columns, etc. This has been logged for reports
already.

I wasn't able to reproduce the issue with the dash
in IEC mode when inserting a child or in the export/import. I am using AcadE

I wasn't able to reproduce the issue you mention
with the cells merging incorrectly in the cross-reference table when a form-c is
used. Can you send to my direct email a drawing that I could reproduce
this on?

Logging an item does not guarantee it will be in a
certain release. It does mean that it will be considered.

Pat Murnen

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">

Please, give stretch wire command all the functionality of the ACAD
Extend command:

-selection of wire(s) you want to stretch your wire
to

-fence selection of wires you want to extend

-SHIFT-select
for trimming.

ACADE is great, but I think you are going to
fast. You think much more about new features (like circuit builder - which is
great) than about some basic issues like:

- after running RETAG some
child components that are not in the same drawing with parent are not
retagged,

- There is no Project-wide renumbering of multiple (or all)
terminal strips

- dialog boxes should be more flexible; sorting by
clicking header, customization of column width

- X-Y coordinates in
export to spreadsheet

- In IEC mode, if you insert child for the parent
that is in another drawing by using project button in Insert/Edit child
component, there is no "-" at the beginning; the same happens if you export
and update from spreadsheet,

- Merging in cross-ref tables doesn't work
properly; if second contact in table is FORM-C, and first one is e.g. NO, than
cells in 2nd and 3rd row ­should be
merged, not 1st and 2nd.

Please, read
this:

href="http://www.blog.cadnauseam.com/2008/11/28/how-well-cooked-is-the-average-major-new-autocad-...

Message 11 of 20
vladop

When I find some time to prepare it I'll send it?

Thanks,

Vlado
Message 12 of 20
vladop

I did some testing and found that problem with cross-ref table was in FORM-C contact CONTACT attribute. I changed it from NONC to NCNO and now everything is fine. I also deleted COMMON attribute that was set to 02, but I think it had no effect.

Regarding issue with the dash, the problem was that IEC tag mode was disabled and Tag format was set to -%A%F%N. In this case dash at the beginning disappears as I said before. I used -%A%F%N because I tried to avoid automatic fill of Installation and Location fields with drawing default on child that is linked to parent by using Project button. If Parent/Sibling is used and Upon insert: automatic fill Installation/Location with drawing default or last used is not checked INST/LOC fields remain empty. I'd like the same with Project button.

I apologize, those two problems are not ACE bugs, but mistakes in my custom settings.

Edited by: vladop on Feb 15, 2009 8:59 PM

It seems that RETAG of a child not at the same drawing with parent issue is also related to -%A%F%N Tag format.

Edited by: vladop on Feb 16, 2009 7:31 PM

One more about dash.

I did RETAG for a set of the drawings and child contact on the drawing not listed in the Drawing to Process list lost dash at the beginning.

I did REATG again, this time with drawing listed in Drawing to Process list and dash reappeared.
Message 13 of 20
dougmcalexander

I've had the same issue with the leading dash coming an going. It happens more with project-wide retag. I even set some symbol tags to Fixed and still lost the leading dash during a retag. It seemed random though because it didn't happen to all components; not even all component families. It is very troublesome.

Doug McAlexander

Message 14 of 20
Anonymous

AAArgh! Did you guys ever find a fix for this?

I select the connection I want to start from then as I pull away from the connector, the wire snaps about the screen at odd angles and extends a big angled loop outside the borders of the drawing before returning at another equally odd angle. At this point even tiny movements from the mouse send the wire flipping wildly all across the page mainly at 45 degree angles, then when you finally get it to the destination terminal, and click to place... it attaches itself to a totally different terminal, additionally deleting portions of nearby adjacent wires as some sort of special demonic bonus!?

It wasn't always like this, it suddenly switched on and now affects all my ACADE drawings, I can use the workaround of putting in a line then moving it to the correct layer manually but all the functionality of automatic numbering etc is lost because of this.

Message 15 of 20
jseefdrumr

The error here, and most times when people have problems with wire behavior, lies in the expectations of the user. It seems like you're thinking that you only have to click twice, once at each endpoint of the wire, and ACADE will do the rest. Unfortunately, that's only true up to a small and very limited point.

You should manually click to add bends in the wire, so that when you approach the symbol with the wire tool it's already in line with the symbol. This greatly helps the software make the connections automatically.

In your video, it's hard to tell, but it looks like you hit the 'X' key to see your wire connection points but when you clicked the mouse to accept the wire, it was closer to the left one. Remember that the wire will try to terminate on the connection point closest to where you clicked. If you're using grid snaps, this can throw things off, so I'd check those too.

And also, if you elect to draw wires using the line command, you won't lose any sort of functionality at all -- you'll just not be drawing wires with the wire tool. To do that successfully, all you have to do is have a wire layer current, use the LINE command, and draw your wire. Anything that is: 1) a line entity, and 2) on a wire layer, is a wire. You don't need to use the wire tool at all, so long as you remember to NOT use polylines or arcs, and so long as you're drawing on an actual wire layer. Any wires you draw this way will still be addressed by automatic wire number tools, updates, etc.

Jim Seefeldt
Electrical Engineering Technician

Message 16 of 20
Icemanau

Check your dwg scale & unit settings...

Some of the times ACADE does this, the units or scale are set wrong.

Type Units and make sure the dwg is using the correct setting for measurement.

Then check your project & dwg properties to see if everything is set right there.

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: jseefdrumr

Hi Jim, thank you for the help.

I agree that's how it should work and indeed it did up to about a month ago, then it suddenly changed to  this frustrating behaviour.

I also apologise for the terrible video, I don't have admin-rights to install SCREENCAST.

I can no longer put bends in the wire manually, when I click to place a bend it stops the wire all together and disappears.

The SNAP to GRID is turned off, and I've tried various combinations of OSNAP preferences from minimal to everything on, nothing makes much of a difference to this weird behaviour.

If you look closely towards the end of my terrible video, when I clicked to terminate the wire to the STOP pushbutton, it actually attaches itself to the START pushbutton, deleting portions of the wire 23 that was already in place there.

With regards to the wire numbering it simply won't number any of the lines I put in manually, even when they are drawn in directly onto the WIRES layer itself.

I use the  "Edit Wire Number"  tool and select one of the lines I drew manually, it brings up the attributes box, I enter the wire number and then it amends the number... of a completely different wire (that already had a number assigned) but does nothing to the line I had selected. 

I handed my laptop over to a more experienced ACADE user on site with me and he couldn't explain what was going on.  

Thanks also Brad, on your advice I have checked the units in the drawing and the units in the project settings, & both are set to Millimetres (as I'm in UK).

Message 18 of 20
jseefdrumr

First: Keep in mind that it's not just the layer the wire is on, but whether or not that layer is listed as a Wire Type, along with what type of entity makes up the wire. Only a LINE can be a wire. Not a polyline, arc segment, etc. This means that if you are manually drawing wire crossing arcs, ACADE won't be able to recognize anything on the other side of the arc as being the same wire. (When ACADE inserts those wire crossing arcs, it writes some data into the drawing's DB so that it knows where the wire ended/starts back up. Wire data can't carry across the arc because arcs aren't lines.)

Next: When you try to add a number to an invalid wire using the automatic wire number command, there should be a return on the command line that says something along the lines of 'entities found: 0'. If you click on a wire, and no wire number appears, AND you see that phrase on the command line, then there is something about that line that is making it not be recognized as a wire by the software. Make sure the layer that it's on is a valid Wire Type (verify using the Create/Edit Wire Type tool), and make sure it's not a polyline.

On your specific example of editing a wire only to see a different wire's number get changed, this may be due to a component symbol. If the symbol is set up to not have the wire number change as it passes through the component, then this can happen. Can you post a drawing where this is happening?

Moving on, I can't duplicate any of this wire tool behavior at all, no matter which settings I mess with. This implies to me that perhaps you just have something wrong with your installation of the software. I think you should do the following, checking in between each step to see if anything has changed:

1. try a Reset to Defaults...this is usually found in the start menu

2. perform a Repair on your ACADE installation....go through the motions as if you're going to uninstall, and this option pops up along the way

3. perform a reinstall

Remember to back up any customization files you have, in case you have to reinstall.

Jim Seefeldt
Electrical Engineering Technician

Message 19 of 20
ramesh.kambang
in reply to: jseefdrumr

I agree with @jseefdrumr . If it takes longer than 1 hour to fix, I normally reinstall the AutoCADE as I don't have to spend more than 1 hour. Pl backup your settings first

Ramesh Kambang
Aerospace System/Design Engineer and eVTOL/EWIS Expert
EASA 21J, UK 21J, MAA DAOS, Certification Specification CS23-29, CS-ANCS, CS-STAN and EVTOL
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question.
Message 20 of 20
Icemanau

Another thing I have come across that can cause the problems with the wires going odd angles is a stub or zero length wire on the component.

Run the drawing audit and see if it picks up any wires like that.

Also, you said you checked the scales and units of the dwg, but what about the Feature Scale Multiplier.

This should always be set to 1 or between .25 of either side of it.

This is used to slightly adjust things when inserting and such. If you need to scale the blocks, do so at the Insert Component menu.

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

AutoCAD Beta