AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terminal Strip text overlapping

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
cjmccoy2018
168 Views, 3 Replies

Terminal Strip text overlapping

Hello,

I am trying to add a multi level terminal strip to my drawing. The default text on the block overlaps the terminal block next to it.

I have tried changing the block, but no matter what, I am unable to get the terminal strip to adjust to the block that I have changed. I have attempted to delete and replace. I have also closed and restarted multiple times with no success.

please see the attached screenshots

92F39CB9-BA2C-48B4-B1E6-B7A9774CA8E4.jpeg

D921E40A-CF0A-4EC3-BEF3-6EF442C31AD4.jpeg

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
jseefdrumr
in reply to: cjmccoy2018

Try inserting this strip into a fresh new drawing. If it comes out correctly then, we're probably looking at a block definition issue in the working drawing. See below for how to fix that. But, if inserting the strip into a new drawing doesn't work, then we'll need some more info to figure it out, like a copy of the footprint for us to try. Post back if that's the case.

BLOCK DEFINITION ISSUE:

ACADE handles blocks the same way as Vanilla ACAD. The first time you insert a block into a drawing, the software writes a copy of that block's information and adds it to the drawing's internal database. This is known as the 'Block Definition'. From there on out, every time you insert a block with that name, ACADE will use the block definition that exists in the drawing already, even if the one you're trying to bring in has been edited. This is a relic of how things had to be done when memory and storage space were at a premium - it was done as a way to save your CPU resources by not doing the same work twice. The software to this day makes no comparison or evaluation of the block you want to insert now, versus the one that's already defined in the drawing with the same name. It literally has no way of knowing if they're any different, and it will always default to the block definition when there's a conflict between blocks of the same name. Here's how to delete block definitions from your drawing:

1. Delete the terminal strip from the drawing, using ACADE commands to do so

2. Open the PURGE command

3. Review the list of blocks that can be purged. You should see the name of your footprint there. Click on ONLY the box for blocks, then click 'Purge Checked Items'. Keep purging blocks until it stops giving you the option.

4. Enter AEREBUILDDB at the command line to rebuild the project database

5. Save the drawing, then attempt to insert the terminal strip again. It should come in with your edits now.

If that doesn't work, post back and we'll see if we can find something else that could be causing this.

Jim Seefeldt
Electrical Engineering Technician

Message 3 of 4
cjmccoy2018
in reply to: jseefdrumr

Jim,

Thanks for your help.

I attempted to create the same terminal strip in a new drawing, but in the same project. Same result. I also tried a separate project and a new drawing, it also did not change. I tried purging the drawing as well without any change.

if you could guide me through sending the footprint, I would be more than happy to.

Thanks

Message 4 of 4
jseefdrumr
in reply to: cjmccoy2018

Just post it here on the forums. If you get an error message that says you can't post a .dwg file, then just change it to .txt and post it anyway. Anyone who wants to open it will have to rename it, but that's the only way around the filter.

Jim Seefeldt
Electrical Engineering Technician

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report