AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Schematic Component Descriptions acting funny

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
PeytonHarriss
541 Views, 7 Replies

Schematic Component Descriptions acting funny

pharriss3EM4Z_0-1620941016819.png

Autocad electrical 2020.  Windows 10.

My component descriptions are acting weird.

A.  They are right on the wire 
B.  The text seems to be far from the component eating up some space.

Thank you in advance. 

Labels (3)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

You can manually move them to the desired location. If you want to display DESCs on your desired location permanently, you need to edit the block to move the attributes to the desired location.  

Ramesh Kambang
Aerospace System/Design Engineer and eVTOL/EWIS Expert
EASA 21J, UK 21J, MAA DAOS, Certification Specification CS23-29, CS-ANCS, CS-STAN and EVTOL
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question.
Message 3 of 8

Good point, I know I can even do this on mass with the move attribute command.

pharriss3EM4Z_0-1621027426375.png
I was looking to alter the block so I didn't have to alter the blocks every time I used it in a drawing.  I tried editing the dwg in the library but it didn't seem to work. I also tried using the block edit tool.

pharriss3EM4Z_1-1621027670495.png

Nothing seemed to change the place the descriptions ended up.

I ended up changing my library to IEEE and its allowing me to make edits for the drawing and the library as well.  Not sure exactly what's going on.

Message 4 of 8

After editing the dwg file of the block you also need to swap the block using the command  AESWAPBLOCK (Option B - Update a Block) to update the block on your working drawing. 

Ramesh Kambang
Aerospace System/Design Engineer and eVTOL/EWIS Expert
EASA 21J, UK 21J, MAA DAOS, Certification Specification CS23-29, CS-ANCS, CS-STAN and EVTOL
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question.
Message 5 of 8

@ramesh.kambang Didn't even think to do that!

running into an interesting problem with this though.  When I booted up autocad, I found that I was in NFPA library and I switched it over to IEEE.  I then laid out a couple relay coils to try swap a block.   My directory is defaulting to NFPA to look for the updated block.  I can't even find the IEEE symbol library.  

pharriss3EM4Z_0-1621258329655.png

pharriss3EM4Z_1-1621258422244.pngpharriss3EM4Z_2-1621258436523.png

This is from my schematic menu wizard.

pharriss3EM4Z_3-1621258581661.png

Maybe my support file search path directories are directing me toward a random block somewhere?

Is IEEE symbols even a thing in ACADE anymore?

Thanks

Peyton

Message 6 of 8
Icemanau
in reply to: PeytonHarriss

Did you change the project settings?

The standard symbols in the icon menu just look for a block name.

The Project Settings tell ACADE which library to look in for the symbol.

Here's a tip, when you change libraries, also change the icon menu to match the new library.

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 8

@Icemanau @ramesh.kambang 
I think my problem was that my menu was set for the vertical components and not the horizontal ones.

Still need to see if Icon menu and Library match up like Brad was talking about.

Message 8 of 8
Icemanau
in reply to: PeytonHarriss

The blocks may be pointing for Horizontal or Vertical blocks, it doesn't matter.

When inserting onto a wire ACADE looks at the line you are inserting the block onto and grabs the correctly orientated block according to the 'V' or 'H' at the beginning of the file name. Be aware that using the checkbox in the component menu will over ride this functionality.

The checkbox will change according to the ladder orientation in the dwg settings. So if the dwg is set to Horizontal ladders, the checkbox will be for vertical ladder insertions and the reverse for Vertical ladders.

The orientation of a block inserted by itself is also affected by this setting. If you have a vertical ladder set, the blocks will come in set to a horizontal orientation suitable for the rungs in a vertical ladder and the reverse for horizontal ladders.

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report