AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prevent title block from being moved

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
kolyur
473 Views, 7 Replies

Prevent title block from being moved

Is it possible to "lock" the title block to prevent it from being moved? Sometimes when I'm doing window select on some objects near the TB borders, I select it also by mistake and then it gets moved with the other components.

I know I can lock the title block layer, but this also prevents the attributes from being updated during a title block update. In a project with many drawings, it's not feasible to manually unlock and relock the title layer on every drawing every time an update needs to be done.

Thanks for any suggestions.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
rhesusminus
in reply to: kolyur

Unfortunately no. Not other than locking that layer, as you already know.

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 3 of 8
alds02

When you keep your schematic in Model Space and your title block in Layout, it doesn't totally stop these accidental moves but really reduces the frequency. You'd mostly be doing work in the model, so the title block wouldn't even be there to move.

Message 4 of 8
kolyur
in reply to: alds02

I have seen a lot of posts in the forum promoting the model space / paper space workflow. I think this makes perfect sense when you're working with mechanical or architectural drawings, where the geometry will need to be scaled down to fit a particular sheet size. But in Electrical we're generally working with symbols and components that have already been sized for 1:1 use. Part of our job is making those components and their connections fit within the defined space. I assume that putting the title block in paper space means that it wouldn't be visible in the model tab. So it seems like it would be very difficult to arrange your components when you don't even know where the borders are. Am I missing something?

Message 5 of 8
alds02

Well, you're totally correct, you wouldn't be able to see the real titleblock anymore.

I overcome this by making a new layer, and drawing my borders and a space where the titleblock goes, in the model. That's how my new drawing template is set up. I even have added some hash marks on the borders for alignment of certain items. Then I lock that layer and turn of plotting for it too. It works out nicely for zooming. In the layout viewport, I can use that rectangle to for zoom to extents.

alds02_0-1686250267153.png

Message 6 of 8
kolyur
in reply to: alds02

Ah that's an interesting idea, to keep a locked and non-printing border in model space. I'll give it a try tomorrow. Thanks!

Message 7 of 8
mbrown2N7T5

I creating a rectangle in model space that represents my drawing area for schematics. I put it on a no print layer so it doesn't show up in paper space. I can now do all of my rungs and wiring inside thise perimeter and it matches up with paperspace. There is no scaling to be done. I even added a center line so that I can get two sets of rungs per sheet.

I used to do all of my drawings in model space and my panel layouts in paper space. Now everything is in paperspace, which also makes printing easier.

Message 8 of 8
testsubject

I also have been using a border within modelspace that matches the titleblock in paper space. I have been doing it this way for decades. 

Another benefit to doing it this way is panel layouts. I do the overall layout in one drawing and then xref it into other drawings to show zoomed in details in paperspace. If the original drawing is changed, all other detail drawings change as well.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

AutoCAD Beta