AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Panel Footprint not inserting Attribute Template into block correctly

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Ryan_Walters
533 Views, 6 Replies

Panel Footprint not inserting Attribute Template into block correctly

I'm completely stumped. 

I've created a panel footprint/block that I'm exploding on insert into my panel drawing. I'm using the insert from schematic menu to do this. However when exploding and inserting this block is not being properly assigned its default attributes from the "wd_ptag_addattr_comp.dwg" instead of these attributes being assigned the block inserts and the attributes insert off in space away from the block. I'll attach screen shots showing further detail. 

The kicker is that I have a near identical footprint/block to this one that was created a while ago from someone else that I based this one off of with only slight modifications and it works flawlessly, the attributes are assigned and the block explodes on insert as it should. Browsing through the text window the only differences I see is that after inserting the block I made the Merged attribute template command that automatically runs immediately executes a _.REDRAW command after it, then comes up with "Error: bad DXF group: nil" then proceeds to automatically close the command.

Like I said I'll include some screen shots in this post detailing what exactly I'm talking about, any help would be massively appreciated!

The working block picture and text from the command is highlighted in yellow in the attached pics, where as the broken block picture and text is highlighted in pink.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
rhesusminus
in reply to: Ryan_Walters

Could the broken block contain any other blocks, that should've been purged?

Trond Hasse Lie
EPLAN Expert and ex-AutoCAD Electrical user.
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 3 of 7
Ryan_Walters
in reply to: rhesusminus

Hey thanks for the reply,

The block does contain other blocks, but only ones that are necessary for their respective "views" So the left side view of the block, top side, right side, etc. Otherwise no other blocks exist within it. We've been using this method of putting all the views needed into one drawing and blocking each view separately, then we set up the block for insert in the Footprint Database we have it set to explode on insert, that way we get each view independent of one another. One block holds the AutoCAD electrical attributes for catalog information etc, and the others are just dummy views.

Message 4 of 7
rhesusminus

Can you share the block?

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 5 of 7
Ryan_Walters

Sure thing I'll attach it below! If you want the one that is also working correctly I'll share that as well. I'll name them respectively "working" and "not_working"

Thanks!

Message 6 of 7
rhesusminus

I'm looking at this, but can't find anything obvious.

I noticed that they have different "insertion scales" set in UNITS.

The working is "Unitless" while the non-working is set to "Inches"

Will changing that make any difference?
Will turning off OSNAP while inserting make any difference?

Kudos for the detailed footprints! I like that you have inserted the cut-outs etc.
It's a shame you have to do this yourself.

With EPLAN I could just download it, complete in 3D and with the cut-outs, ready to be sent to the CNC machine 😜

20220819 161749 thlct.png

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Message 7 of 7
Ryan_Walters

Trond,

I tried to set the drawing to units to Unitless and this didn't seem to have an effect, also turning on and off Osnap didn't change the outcome either. I may have stumbled into a solution however, by accident, if you wouldn't mind testing it on your end. I noticed a difference in the "draw order" for the dimensions in the working block versus the not working block. In the working block the draw order for the dimensions were on top or front, while in the non working block the draw order for all the dimensions were set to the back. I selected all the dimensions on the non working block and set them to the front, saved, tested, and it inserted the default attributes without error. Can you test and confirm on your end as well?

Thanks again for all your help in this! That EPLAN software is really slick and I'd like to play around in it someday.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report