AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network installation?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
snorcisa7FS8E
555 Views, 5 Replies

Network installation?

Hello, I've always worked on a local machine install since I was the only person using AE. If now there was more than 2 people and you wanted everyone to share everything is there such a thing as a network install?

Where all the common datafiles would be shared from the start and not have to go in and move these files?

Such as the information for custom parametric PLC modules, parts data base etc?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
rhesusminus
in reply to: snorcisa7FS8E

The best way to do this is du\ocumented well at Doug McAlexander's site: http://www.ecadconsultant.com/tips.html#Networking

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 3 of 6
snorcisa7FS8E
in reply to: rhesusminus

TY!

Message 4 of 6
snorcisa7FS8E
in reply to: rhesusminus

So.....just to be clear, there isn't a "network installation" choice when installing and setting up?

Message 5 of 6
jseefdrumr
in reply to: snorcisa7FS8E

There might be, but that's not the same as setting up ACADE for multiple users who share files on a network.

You will still have local installs on a per-user basis. Each install will have to be directed to look on the network for the files it needs. This is done with a combination of setting paths in OPTIONS, setting project paths in your projects, and using the wd.env file. I think of this as 'network sharing' instead of 'network installation'.

Also, take care with Doug's write up on how to do this. It's old, but still relevant - just pay attention since over the years some file locations have changed.

Jim Seefeldt
Electrical Engineering Technician

Message 6 of 6

If you are setting up for more than 1 user, then I normally rename the wd.env file (in all user's PC) to wd.env.old (or something else) so that all users use the wd.env file from a common (server) location (see Dough moved D:\AeData to the top of the search path - this location, for example, is a common location for wd.env file).  Probably you have already done it - it will be a good idea to move all company-specific or custom libraries also to the common (server) lib folder. 

Ramesh Kambang
Aerospace System/Design Engineer and eVTOL/EWIS Expert
EASA 21J, UK 21J, MAA DAOS, Certification Specification CS23-29, CS-ANCS, CS-STAN and EVTOL
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

AutoCAD Beta