AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mutlti line tagging

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
442 Views, 3 Replies

Mutlti line tagging

Can someone tell me if it is possible to have a component that has its tag broken into three lines.  I know about using TAG1_PART1, TAG1_PART 2, TAG1_PARTX. Below is how I set up my block:

Capture.PNG

After right clicking on the component, I type in  10-PIT.  I then double click on the PARTX attribute and change - to 020.  What is crazy is if I right click on the component the tag reads:

Capture.PNG

This causes an issue of when I to export to spreadsheet, the tag wont be in the correct format.

Tags (3)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
jseefdrumr
in reply to: Anonymous

This is as it should be. From HELP, emphasis mine:

TAG1_PART1, TAG1_PART2, TAG1_PARTX (as well as TAG2_PART1, TAG2_PART2, TAG2_PARTX) are alternatives to TAG1 and TAG2 that allow you to split a tag name into two pieces and, for example, position one piece above the other on the symbol. You can create drawings with a mix of both symbols having split tags and other symbols carrying just the single TAG1 or TAG2 attribute.

1. With this setup, AutoCAD Electrical automatically splits tags like CR104 and 104CR into two pieces (where characters split from numbers to letters) and apply the pieces to these attributes.

2. For instances where there is a delimiter between the character and number parts of a tag, and you do not want the delimiter to show on one part or the other of the visible tag, add attribute definition TAG1_PARTX to the library symbol and mark it "invisible".

AutoCAD Electrical stores the delimiter of the split tag in the attribute.

So I'm reading this as, the TAG1_PARTX attribute is specifically meant to handle a delimiter, such as a hyphen. As such, ACADE expects it to be in between TAG1_PART1 and TAG1_PART2. I don't think there is a way to split a tag into three sections. And the entry in HELP certainly seems to imply that you can only split it into two parts.

Sometimes, though, ACAD can be tricked...just a thought but have you tried creating an attribute 'TAG1_PART3'? Who knows, it may work. I doubt it, but if it were me I'd try it. Because it looks like PARTX isn't really going to accommodate your needs here.

Jim Seefeldt
Electrical Engineering Technician

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: jseefdrumr

We have already tried making an attribute TAG1_PART3. AutoCAD electrical didn't recognized it. You would have thought they would have made it where you could break it up into three. Many PID drawings and ISA standards uses a three part tag.
Message 4 of 4
jseefdrumr
in reply to: Anonymous

Well, I kind of thought that would be a long shot but it was worth a try, lol.

I agree with you that a triple-split tag should be a thing. I've not had to draw a 'real' P&ID for many years, but almost all the ones that I drew back in the day had at least a few 3-line tags thrown in.

Jim Seefeldt
Electrical Engineering Technician

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report