AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

layout title block and schematic title block

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
NLimpert
1454 Views, 8 Replies

layout title block and schematic title block

Hello, I am self taught and only been using Autocad Electrical for a couple years. Mostly drafting electrical schematic so the title block has not been an issue. however I am creating panel layout drawings to go with the projects and sharing catalog information between the two drawing, but I do not want the project to update the title block on both sets of drawings. Is there way to have two diffferent title block update with in the same project?

Labels (2)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Lott99
in reply to: NLimpert

This is possible (if I understand your question correctly) and not impractical if you only have a couple drawings. When you go to update the individual titleblock, make sure you've filled out the proper information in your project descriptions and drawing properties for that titleblock and run the title block update tool. Select "Active Drawing" if it is active, or select "Project Wide" and only process the one drawing. Remember to clear/change the project descriptions when you go to update the other titleblock.

If you're talking about having a titleblock in the model space and a titleblock in the paper space on the layout in the same dwg file, then no, I don't think that's possible.

Message 3 of 9
NLimpert

I have on average of 3 to 12 page electrical schematic and 2 to 4 page of panel layouts within a project. my title block is in the model space for all of my drawings. I was hoping for a way to not have to re-type my revision descriptions in the project description if foe example the schematic is on the 3 revision and the layout is it's 2. what you are describing I would have to delete and re-enter privious revision levels back in inorder to create the next revision.

NLimpert_0-1613670546215.png

NLimpert_1-1613670611961.png

Message 4 of 9
Lott99

Yes you are right. I have run into the same problem in the past. As far as I know, there's no good way to do revision control in AutoCAD electrical. But if there is, I hope someone can let us know.

Message 5 of 9
Lott99

I don't know if this would pay off in the end, but you could try to rename each titleblock to a different name (-RENAME Block) and then have your titleblock updater search for all the different blocks to update. Each block would have a different set of line items from the project descriptions. This may not really solve the efficiency issue though. See below for an example of the wdt file. 

Lott99_0-1613676332655.png

Message 6 of 9
ramesh.kambang

I am replying to your original question, how is your project tree set, like marked in RED below or flat structure (no subfolder)?

If you have subfolders are set like below, then you can update TB per subfolder (subfolder-wide) ie you don't have to select all drawings (project-wide update) for TB updates.

project.png

Ramesh Kambang
Aerospace System/Design Engineer and eVTOL/EWIS Expert
EASA 21J, UK 21J, MAA DAOS, Certification Specification CS23-29, CS-ANCS, CS-STAN and EVTOL
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question.
Message 7 of 9
NLimpert

Ramesh,  I am using sub folders within the project manager. however they all pull title block information from the project description. I have the electrical schematic seperated by enclosure than grouped all door and panel layouts together. 

NLimpert_0-1613740989291.png

The Title block that I use for all drawing uses the same LineX information in the project to fill out the title block.

so I do not have a revision 1 descriptive field that is unique for the schematic or panel layout. so I have to constantly delete and re-enter a description based on which draing set I am updating. I am trying to find a solution that allows me to share the link abilities of the software between the footprint and the schematic.

NLimpert_1-1613741204949.png

I have been creating multiple project one for schematic, and one for panel layouts but when I do this you can not use the schematic list for footprint inserts, or link items back to the schematic in a seperate project. I may have to create multiple title block with different LineX link as suggested above by Lott99.

Message 8 of 9
ramesh.kambang

The best solution would be to create different title blocks and define the attributes in the TB as required. I would create one for the schematic and another for the panel as marked in red (or a different name). Then define all the attributes below (not required to repeat attributes for each block, just list them once). When you perform the TB updates, acade pulls up only the defined attributes within the TB.  I prefer to use Method 1 TB as there will be no character limits (255).

T Multiple.png 

Ramesh Kambang
Aerospace System/Design Engineer and eVTOL/EWIS Expert
EASA 21J, UK 21J, MAA DAOS, Certification Specification CS23-29, CS-ANCS, CS-STAN and EVTOL
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question.
Message 9 of 9
john.warnerF2WEX
in reply to: Lott99

I realize this is an older post, but I have been trying to find a way I can have a my projects set up the way I want and i believe the above mention of Title Blocks wit different names having all of their update information in (1) .WDT file. My Schematics have their own B Sized Border/Title Block with an (EL) as a Discipline Designator, Enclosure Outlines to the customer have their B Sized Border/Title Block with (EN) as Discipline Designator. Then I have Fabrication Drawings which are a D Size Border and MD Designator. So all are different named blocks.

I've been trying to figure out how I have have a Project with Sub Projects for Schematics, Layouts and Fabrications and each one have it's own .WDT file. I didn't even stop to think about having all of the Title Blocks Updates in one .WDT.  I believe this is also going to bring up issues with drawing and sheet numbering though. They are all a little different and each title block uses DWGNAM, FILENAME, FILENAMEEXT an mu schematics use SHEET and SHEETMAX, but using those are note conducive to my schematics numbering My Schematics are the Discipline Designator = (EL), then Project number = 21198 then Schematics 100 thru 199 ex: EL21198-100, EL-21198-101...etc...my line numbers, wire numbers and device ID's rely on the 100 number for that sheet, and I need sheet and sheetmax to give total sheet count from sheet 01 thru ?? and I cant get that to work with the numbering.  

John T. Warner
Chief Electrical Design Engineer
Prisma Integration Corp.
Girard, Ohio 44420
johnwrner2008@outlook.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

AutoCAD Beta