AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IEC install

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
michealweather
4190 Views, 5 Replies

IEC install

I'm using version 2023. I'm trying to install IEC using the technique below.

1. From the Control Panel, select Add or Remove Programs.
  2. From the Windows Control Panel, select Uninstall a Program.
  3. From the Uninstall or Change a Program dialogue box, select the latest version of the AutoCAD Electrical toolset and click the Uninstall/Change button.
  4. On the AutoCAD Electrical toolset Installation Wizard, click Add or Remove Features.
  5. On the Add/Remove Features page, click Next.
  6. On the Manufacturer Content Selection page, click Next.
  7. Select the Symbol Libraries page, select the libraries you wish to install, and click Next.
  8. Click Update

However, I do not get any of these options when I click on Control Panel? See the image below,

Can anyone help me here? How do I install the IEC?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

AutoCAD Electrical 2022 and 2023 installs all content.  Most of us are designing to multiple standards these days.  Europeans are designing to NFPA standards, so they can sell their products to American customers, and Americans are designing to IEC standards, so they can sell their products to Europe.  That's been my life, both ways, for decades.  I started designing to DIN standards, later IEC, in 1988, while working for a German manufacturer.  Later I had to start designing to American standards as well.  I have designed to both standards since 1991, but most of my work is still IEC. 

To streamline the installation process, since many of us use multiple standards, Autodesk no longer makes us pick through the content options.  They just install everything.  We can choose to use them or not, but the content is there.

Use the IECdemo project as a project template.  Look at Project Properties for the library assignment, tagging formats, cross-reference style, PLC style, etc.  IEC will need ladder orientation set to horizontal, with an X zones.  You can define whether to number the zones as 0 through 9, 1 through 8, etc. (see screenshot)  Be sure to add the numbers across the top of the drawing template, if you make a custom template.  Most of us make a custom drawing template, with our company name, logo, etc.  

In the Libs folder, you will see folders, IEC2 (2mm text height), IEC4 (4mm text height), and IEC-60617 (4mm text height).  The symbols from the IEC-60617 library use the two-letter identification, from IEC81346-2.  All three libraries use symbol graphics from IEC-60617.  It’s just that the symbols from the IEC2 and IEC4 libraries use the legacy component identification lettering scheme.

There is a sample IEC project available from my web site.  I use the IEC-60617 symbol set.  I started with one of the supplied IEC templates and I modified it to have X zones, numbered 1 through 8.  It also has the letters for the Y zone, though I chose not to use them for this project.  The screenshot shows the formatting I used for this border/template.  Click here to view the sample drawing set: AutoCAD Electrical Tutorials Webinars Tips and Tricks (ecadconsultant.com)

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 6

Thank you for the response.

In "Icon Menu", how do I get the IEC components to come up? I only have JIC symbols.

Message 4 of 6

For later reference:

• IEC2 has 2.5 mm text height
  • IEC4 has 3.5 mm text height

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 5 of 6

You assign the symbol library folder path(s) and icon menu choice in Project Properties.  Right-click over the project name in the Project Manager and click Properties from the drop-down menu. (see screenshot)

Hint: If you open/activate the IECdemo project and use Project Copy, to start your own project, most IEC design parameters will be preset.  You can modify these parameters in the copied project, to suit your needs.  I suggest that you get some training if you are on your own and you want to understand how to customize this.  Most of us create our own drawing template with these parameters preset.  We also add our common wire types to our drawing template, and we set it up for automatic title block updates.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Message 6 of 6

Trond is correct about the sizes.  IEC2 and IEC4 folder names are rounded off to keep from having decimals in the folder names.  They rounded 2.5mm down to 2 and they rounded 3.5mm up to 4, in the folder names.  I prefer the larger text size.

Doug McAlexander

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

AutoCAD Beta