AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Footprint Symbol Attributes are Visible but Insert as Invisible

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
708 Views, 3 Replies

Footprint Symbol Attributes are Visible but Insert as Invisible

Hi,

I'm in the process of editing some panel footprint symbols.  I've added all the relevant attribute information within symbol builder and set the attribute visibility to not be invisible.  The problem occurs when I do a swap component on my main drawing.  It'll pull in the footprint just fine, except some attributes that I set to visible in symbol builder are inserted as invisible.  The attribute data is still there, but I have to manually toggle the visibility for it to turn it on and see it.  Specifically it's DESC2 that is pulling in invisible when it should be visible.

On my main drawing, if I do an INSERT and select the component file, it'll pull in the attribute visibility just fine.  I have many of these blocks already placed in the drawing though and would like to just update the attributes without having to re-insert the blocks again if possible.  So the problem lies with the swap component method.

In the swap component dialog box, there is an option to select another attribute mapping file, but I don't know what to use or where to find it.  I've played around with the wd_ptag_addattr_comp.dwg footprint attribute template, but DESC2 isn't on there.

Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Labels (2)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
JeffatPrimex
in reply to: Anonymous

We use the insert footprint schematic list and ACADE will apply ptag and a couple of rating attributes automatically so we don't waste time on the footprint blocks. As for the mapping file I think you just need to open notepad and enter the attributes old,new one line for each map.

Best regards,

Jeff

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: JeffatPrimex

Thanks for the suggestions!  Everything worked when I inserted the footprint from the schematic list - the trouble with that is that I'm drawing additional things on the panal drawing that don't have wiring and so there is no schematic block for them.

But from another forum answer, I discovered the "Unhide Attribute (Window/Multiple)" option under Schematic-Edit Components, which lets me select the blocks I want and unhide multiple attributes at once.  Still not sure why Swap Component pulls in updated blocks with some of their attributes hidden, but this Unhide Attribute solution is still way faster than toggling visibility individually for each block.

Message 4 of 4
JeffatPrimex
in reply to: Anonymous

Another thing you might try for those hardware items that don't show up in the insert footprint schematic list is to use generic parent schematic tag blocks that you can put on a layer that is visible but not plotted and then they will show up in the list like HEN_TAG for enclosure items like drip shields, leg stand kits, mounting feet etc.

Best regards,

Jeff

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report