AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom component (VFD) parent and child: message "tag already exists. do you want to duplicate tag or to use a new one?"

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
francois.bellemare
544 Views, 9 Replies

Custom component (VFD) parent and child: message "tag already exists. do you want to duplicate tag or to use a new one?"

Hello colleagues.

I'm trying to create a VFD Altivar two custom symbols: one for power schematic (parent) sheet and the other one for the control schematic. So I need the Autocad Electrical to recognize those two symbols as a parent(power) and a child (control) elements and to create a cross-reference between and to write only one single component in the bill of materials as well.

I looked some video tutorials and also checked how a default relay/contact couple is done.

I tried to use a couple parent/parent and a parent/child one, tag1 and tag 1, tag1 and tag2 subsequently. The blocks work perfectly when alone until I put the second one with the same tag. At this point the application keeps showing a tag duplicate message and do not recognize those elements as one single device. Also every time I chose Horizontal child as the type but next time I open the symbol builder window it is written Horizontal parent so it does not save my modifications.

Could you tell me where is my mistake?

Thank you

child properties.JPGcontrol child.JPGmessage.JPGparent properties.JPGpower parent.JPG

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
chenj
in reply to: francois.bellemare

Maybe you can try naming the parent component HDR1_ XXXX, child component named HDR2_ XXXX.

Message 3 of 10
francois.bellemare
in reply to: chenj

Thanks, that works!
The only question for now is what about next symbol in the same group HDR? Does this means that I should name them as HDR3/HDR4 for the next couple or the application is based on those characters going after the numbers 1 or 2 (in my case it is _ALTIVAR3xx)? In other words, what should I use as the name for my next drives symbols' couples that I may have a lot?
Thank you
Message 4 of 10

No.

In ACADE, 1=parent and 2=child, for all parent-child symbols. Using a 3 or 4 or any other digit could affect ACADE's behavior with that symbol. Also, it has to go in the fourth character position; the first character is reserved for the symbol's ladder orientation while the second and third character positions denote the symbol's component type. (In your case, HDR literally means 'horizontal drive'. HDR1 means 'horizontal drive parent' and HDR2 means 'horizontal drive child'.)

ACADE has a specific naming convention for symbols. You should look it up in HELP and get familiar with it. It's very important for those of us who create our own symbols. Also keep in mind that if you ever use vertical ladders, you'll need a vertical version for your symbol - in essence, you'd have to create two additional, different symbols. (VDR1 and VDR2, in your case.)

To address your question on how to name subsequent symbols, it's handled in detail in the HELP write-up. But, basically the way it's done is in the symbol name itself. In essence: As I briefly explained, certain character positions are reserved for certain things. Once you get past those (usually no more than 4-6), you're free to place an underscore and add what you wish. As an example, I included a screenshot of the folder where I keep my custom symbols.

While the Symbol Builder can be a pretty powerful tool, it can lead users down the wrong paths. Like here, in your case, it doesn't do anything to help ensure you understand why it chose a certain default name for a symbol. This can lead to other symbols being misnamed because it lets you change the name to anything without telling you the symbol could misbehave if you do.

Jim Seefeldt
Electrical Engineering Technician

Message 5 of 10

Okay, thank you.

I have read that page help that explains the naming rules.

The HDR abbreviation in my case really means horizontal drive symbols.

So my next potential drive could be HDR1_ABB and HDR2_ABB. In that case the soft would identify those 2 new symbols as a device ABB in group drives, horizontal parent/child.

Message 6 of 10

I would be a little more specific.

For example, the Powerflex 525 symbols would be:
HDR1_PF525
HDR2_PF525

Delta MS300 VFDs would be:

HDR1_MS300

HDR2_MS300

Etc...

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 7 of 10
testsubject
in reply to: jseefdrumr

I did not look at your png before replying. 

You really nailed it!

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 8 of 10

lol

Jim Seefeldt

Message 9 of 10

For sure, that was just an example.

btw what about those new symbols to appear in the symbol selection menu? I do not find any of my custom symbols in any of  utility sections.

Message 10 of 10

New symbols are added to the Icon Menu with the Icon Menu Wizard. You'll want to place your symbol in the 'PLC Fixed Units' icon.

Jim Seefeldt

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report