AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog Browser Favorites

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
royperry
1683 Views, 11 Replies

Catalog Browser Favorites

Hi,

How can I define a list of entries to behave as favorites, while using the favorites button on the catalog browser?

Where these data are saved?

tnx!

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
mathalekar
in reply to: royperry

Hello Roy,

There is a button to add the items to favirite. Refer attachment. Note that the favirite is Per user per family code based list in AutoCAD Electrical 2015 onwardws.

Message 3 of 12
royperry
in reply to: mathalekar

Hi Mayuresh,

Thank you for your time, but we all know where the button is.

What I'm really asking, is how to export the data (favorite entries) to another user and how can I edit these entries manually.

Message 4 of 12
PatMurnen_Adsk

There is not a way provided to do this (good idea to log on the IdeaStation) but I did find some "under-the-hood" information on this.

We store all the favorite list, search history, and also the Column display/order information, etc in the following xml file, Autodesk.Electrical.SharedControl.Config.xml.

You can copy the xml file to other computers to share with other users. 

Finding it is a little tricky. Look at :

C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\IsolatedStorage\bddq4gim.ust\rkxexbjr.qmd\Url.bit1plk2pr2oqaao31yhv31vjmnyzkds\AssemFiles\Autodesk.Electrical.SharedControl.Config.xml

The folder marked as red in the path is random generated, so you may need to search the file to get the path. And also you may see 2 folders if you have both AutoCAD Electrical and Inventor Catalog Browser Addin installed. And possibly more folders for other releases of AutoCAD Electrical.

What I did was add a favorite on both computers so I could see the updated date on the file it was changing. Then I copied the one from my computer to the other.

I would make backups of any files first before you start overwriting any, just in case. Especially since this isn't really a documented way to do this.

Regards,

Pat Murnen

Pat Murnen
Principal Content Developer
Product Development – AutoCAD Product Line Group

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 12
royperry
in reply to: PatMurnen_Adsk

Thank you Pat, this is exactly what I was looking for!

Works great also!

BR,

Roy Perry

Message 6 of 12
PatMurnen_Adsk

Glad that worked. Just a word of caution - since this was not intended for this use I can't say for sure it will continue to work in future releases, service packs, etc. It may work but you would need to verify with any updates to the product.

Regards,

Pat Murnen

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 12

Hi Pat, 

Will this file be used by subsequent AutoCAD versions or will a new file be created?

Thanks,

David Brude

Message 8 of 12

David, The original post was in 2015 and I checked and the file appears to be in 2022 so I would assume it will continue to be used but I have no inside knowledge or way to know if it will be used in any future releases.

Regards,
Pat

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 12

I meant that if you move from 2022 to 2023 is the file recreated in a new path or does it use the same file from 2022? 

Message 10 of 12
royperry
in reply to: david_brude

Hi David,

What Pat kindly posted in 2015 still stands in newer versions (2023 included).

Each version creates a different folder contains a "AssemFiles" folder with the "Autodesk.Electrical.SharedControl.Config.xml" file.

I don't know about an easy way to migrate the favorites from a previous version, but you can simply copy the "Autodesk.Electrical.SharedControl.Config.xml" file from one version to another.

I hope it helps.

Roy Perry

Message 11 of 12
david_brude

Okay that's what I wanted to know. So I will need to stash that file in a safe place before upgrading and copy back to the new location. What a mess.

Thank you for the responses Roy and Pat!

Sincerely,

David Brude

Message 12 of 12
james_moore

(WAS: Not sure why I can't get this to work, simply by replacing the Autodesk.Electrical.SharedControl.Config.xml.)

And the answer was I had a mix-up or corruption in the source file.  Never mind.

I wrote a short VB.Net console application to search for the file on a user's station & replace it with a source file from our network, just to make sharing it easier.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

AutoCAD Beta