AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to learn AutoCAD Electrical?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
638 Views, 5 Replies

Best way to learn AutoCAD Electrical?

So basically I interviewed for a ton of internships this summer, and did not get any of them. I know a very significant reason is that I lack AutoCAD experience, as it really is not a part of my EE curriculum whatsoever. So this summer I am teaching myself AutoCAD Electrical 2017 (Got it for free with student license) so I can be a better candidate next time.

My question is where is the best place to learn how to use the software? I've found a few sites, but most are either paid or are for the general AutoCAD not AutoCAD Electrical.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
alds02
in reply to: Anonymous

Short answer: the included tutorials.

Long answer:
1) There seems to be a lot of videos out there now. I don't use them, but I know that's the modern way.
2) If you don't have much AutoCAD basic skill it might help to get into some of that content. I was not really that great with ACAD when I started with Electrical and gradually over time had to learn things that might have been better to know from the beginning.
3) If you open AutoCAD Electrical Help, scroll down about halfway to "Learn" and check out the Tutorials Introduction and Tutorials. That's how I learned - you should have the files for the tutorial projects already installed, and nothing compares to trying things and doing the tasks.
Message 3 of 6
pmccutcheon

I was lucky to have kindly and skilled drafters who explained it to me, back in 2004 or so. They already had title blocks, reports and so forth setup, which was a great time saver. I was also lucky that I knew some autocad beforehand.

Basic autocad stuff: what's a layer; how to draw a line; what's a block

There used to be a printed hardcopy "Getting Started" guide from Autocad, not sure they still produce it. Last copy I have is from 2008. Not sure if is available online. Back in the VIA days, there was a comprehensive manual which was a treasure trove of info.

There are some "tutorial" section videos

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-electrical?p=ACAD_E&_ga=2.217523030.156671567.1621611...

IN Autocad itself, look under Help, Learning tools (in my 2019 edition)

The forum here is pretty good at specific questions, has been very helpful for me over the years.

Message 4 of 6
testsubject

If you have access to LinkedIn Learning, there are a bunch of training videos.

I would recommend taking a class in Autocad if you have no experience first. Most Community colleges have classes that are reasonably priced. This will start you of with a solid foundation in using AutoCAD and then Autocad Electrical.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 5 of 6
rhesusminus

Free: https://customersuccess.autodesk.com/disciplines/electrical/challenges/autocad-electrical

Trond Hasse Lie
EPLAN Expert and ex-AutoCAD Electrical user.
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

So basically I interviewed for a ton of internships this summer, and did not get any of them. I know a very significant reason is that I lack AutoCAD experience, as it really is not a part of my EE curriculum whatsoever. So this summer I am teaching myself AutoCAD Electrical 2017 (Got it for free with student license) so I can be a better candidate next time.

My question is where is the best place to learn how to use the software? I've found a few sites, but most are either paid or are for the general AutoCAD not AutoCAD Electrical.

Issue has been solved.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report