AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interior Design Career Change - where to begin?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
403 Views, 2 Replies

Interior Design Career Change - where to begin?

Hey Community,

The quick question is - do you have any textbook/online course recommendations for somebody to learn industry standard software for Interior Design and start to build a portfolio? 

I've kicked off with AutoCad for the Interior Designer which is been great but not sure where to go from here, especially when it comes to creating a portfolio for gaining prospective work experience - perhaps there's something out there which would offer the same sort of tasks given during university study? 

Also (while i've got you!), I'd love to work on residential projects to improve/maximize the use and flow of a space - what would prospective firms like to see in a portfolio and are there any essential learnings beyond AutoCad such as an accreditation to show understanding of building regulations? 

Many thanks for your time,
Terri

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

You need actual experience after book reading: get an internship (paid or upaid) at an AEC firm (or home builder) that will let you add real content to that portfolio.

No one is going to hire only a book-reader. Sorry, that's just today's reality, too many work-experienced folks are your direct competitors in the job market.
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Thank you for your reply! Not to worry - I'm looking to build a portfolio and read so I can apply for internships/work experience in the first place

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta