AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I hide from view certain walls in specific viewports?

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
1996 Views, 13 Replies

How can I hide from view certain walls in specific viewports?

New to autocad architecture, stumped by this one.

i want to hide specific walls in a viewport, but not from all viewports. Without creating different models, is there a way to do this? I've tried sectioning, but it's not working, perhaps I'm not doing it correctly!?

Thanks.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
David_W_Koch
in reply to: Anonymous

Welcome to the community!

I am not sure exactly what you are trying to accomplish with this, but a first suggestion would be to place the Walls to be "hidden" on a separate layer, and then VPLAYER Freeze that layer in the viewport(s) where you do not want to see them.  They will still clean up with other Walls, however.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Yeah I thought of that, but wondering if there was another solution I hadn't come up with.
I've got a 3d model of house interior, and in the different views I need to show different rooms and such, hence the need to remove some walls from the views.
thanks
Message 4 of 14
Richard.Vivanco

Hi.

You can use display manager and create new visualization schemes, for default AA have standard and medium detail schemes.

Go to Manage and click on display manager, first you need to create new configuration, then create new sets, connect the new set with the new configuration, finally go to representation by object rollout and select the walls, enable the sets where you want to walls be visible and disable in the sets where you want to hide them.

Take a look at this video...  i dont hide the walls but i change the colors, hatch and enable and disable the components from the walls.

https://www.facebook.com/fotonica.studios/videos/vb.114793771934596/910324365714862/?type=2&theater

Hope this can help you.

Cheers

Richard Vivanco V.
Arq. BIM Manager + Autodesk Certified Instructor
Website | Youtube | LinkedIn

EESignature

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Richard.Vivanco

ok, great, thank you very much for the help! 

I saw some info about the display manager, I guess it's time for me to bite the bullet and get in there myself and learn how to use it properly.

Thanks again.

Message 6 of 14
David_W_Koch

You may want to take a look at the Live Section feature.  If I recall correctly, in addition to having a typical cut-away section, there is also an option to have the objects on the near side of the section cut show but be transparent.  Assuming that you will want to have multiple 3D views looking at different rooms or groups of rooms, using separate layers to control the visibility of certain Walls is not likely to be a viable solution.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Ok thanks. Will do.
Message 8 of 14
ntellery

Camera views have clipping planes that for each view can trim what is 'behind' ie remove a wall that blocks the view.

www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Do you know all about the Roof Object? Learn it's secrets
http://ausaca.blogspot.com.au/p/roof-object-video-links.html
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: ntellery

I tried camera views, but setting one up for a specific viewport didn't seem to work - it became a clipping plane for the whole model view. Unless I was doing something wrong. In layout, clicking through one viewport to set the camera, it showed up in all viewports. Since I'm trying to use one model, just show it at multiple angles and directions with multiple viewports and pick and choose what items (walls) are visible in each viewport, I don't see this working.

Message 10 of 14
ntellery

I think that is an error because of a setting but I can’t remember more.
I think I’ve had that happen to me.
In a viewport you should be able to set separate camera views with different layer settings (using the Freeze in that viewport button, not the general freeze).
Setting up a Live Section would set it for the whole drawing (AFAIK) but I thought the camera views could be per viewport.
www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Do you know all about the Roof Object? Learn it's secrets
http://ausaca.blogspot.com.au/p/roof-object-video-links.html
Message 11 of 14
Anonymous

Thanks to all that responded, I will give some things a try over the next few days and report back on what works, or at least what i can make work!

Thanks again.

Message 12 of 14
John.W.Mumaw

If you want to use live sections its important to remember that live sections work on a display set, so if you want to have different live sections in different viewports they will each have to use separate display sets.  The way I do this is to create a display set for each live section I want.  Make a copy of a display set that shows your model as you want to view it (i.e. plan if you want to view it from above, for instance, or section_elev if you want to view it from an isometric view), then create a display configuration using that display set.  Set the display configuration current and create your live section.  You can have as many of these in a drawing as you want.

John

John W. Mumaw
Timber Frame Designer
Lost Bent Woodworking & Design
Message 13 of 14
Anonymous

OK, so, if anyone is interested, the best solution I found for not showing certain walls or certain doors or whatever in select viewports was doing LAYFRZ after moving the objects to unique layers. Display sets wouldn't allow me to show or not show certain object, but rather types of objects, walls for instance. It wouldd not show ALL walls, which I did not want to do. I only needed to hide select ones. 

Anyway, I'm putting individual walls on individual layers, and using LAYFRZ with the viewport setting on allows me to accomplish what i need.

Thanks again to all those who responded.

Message 14 of 14
David_W_Koch

Glad you got it sorted out, and thanks for posting your solution.  For what it is worth, if your Viewports setting in the LAYFRZ command is set to Vpfreeze, that is equivalent to using the Freeze option of the VPLAYER command.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

”Boost