AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End caps don't show up in 3D?

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
795 Views, 8 Replies

End caps don't show up in 3D?

So, this forum has become my go-to for help it seems. Many thanks to all the helpful folks that take time out to read and help answer questions that we have.

So here is my latest question. I was putting an end cap on my wall at door openings. It looks good in 2D wireframe plan view.

END CAP PLAN VIEW.jpg

When I switch to Realistic view, the end caps do not show up! Is this intended? Or am I just missing something obvious?

END CAP 3D VIEW.jpg

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
dbroad
in reply to: Anonymous

Post a file with the wall and doors.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: dbroad

Sure thing. See attached file. Thanks

Message 4 of 9
David_W_Koch

It is a Display Setting.  The out-of-the-box Model Display Representation for Walls has opening endcaps turned off, as does your file.  Edit that Display Representation, and, on the Other tab, check the Display Opening Endcaps toggle.2018-09-13_ACA2016_DisplayOpeningEndcaps.png

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Ok, that makes sense. 

Not sure how this happened, but the file I originally sent I can get them to display properly using the advice you gave David.

However, the actual working file must be different, because I cannot get them to display. I'm sure i screwed something up in the file without knowing at some point. I attached it to see if you might be able to help me deduce what I have done.

I deleted everything except for the wall with the OHDs.

David

Message 6 of 9
dbroad

Thanks for posting the file. David was able to see the problem right away and his directions should be the solution. If, however, you tried to adjust the settings for that particular wall rather than the the drawing default, you may have created an override that ignored the drawing default.  When editing the wall style, clear any style overrides in the model representation by unchecking it. Then, once that checkmark is clear, edit the drawing default for model and add the checkmark where David indicated.

Message 7 of 9
David_W_Koch

There is something wrong with that file, but I cannot figure out what it is.  You had overrides on everything - the Wall, the Wall Style and on the Opening Endcap Style for each Door.  But they all had the same settings (and the toggle was checked), and removing all the overrides made no difference.

If I copy your Wall and Doors to a new file started with the out-of-the-box Aec Model (Imperial Stb).dwt template file (from the 2014 release), the endcaps display just fine with the previously noted toggle checked.  The template file does not have those Wall Style, Door Style, Wall Endcap Style or Wall Opening Endcap Style in it, so the difference cannot be blamed on a style setting in the new file overriding a setting in the source file.

Your Wall does have a base height of 12'-0", but that should not affect the Model view, and drawing a similar Wall with a similar Door in the file with a Wall base height of 0" has the same result in a Model view.

I also tried drawing a different Wall Style (the out-of-the-box CMU-8 Rigid-1.5 Air-2 Brick-4 Furring) in the new file, and the opening endcaps displayed.  I then copied that (via Clipboard) to your file, and the opening endcaps did not display.

If you start a new file from whatever template you normally use, draw a Wall, add an opening, change to a 3D view, and edit the Model Display Representation for Walls by checking the Display Opening Endcaps toggle, do opening endcaps show there?  If so, you may need to start a new file and copy your model space contents over to the new file to get the opening endcaps to show.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: David_W_Koch

I found the same thing. It didn't matter what I tried, those darn end caps would not display. I copied the entire drawing into a new drawing and everything displays just fine. 

I guess I really screwed something up when I was playing around, testing things out, lol. I learned to undo all the 'testing' or just close the file without saving at the end of testing things out.

Appreciate all the advice!

Message 9 of 9
dbroad

It's really best not to test on real project files. Create a dummy project for testing.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

AutoCAD Beta