AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cursor tooltip stuck on screen in ACA 2018

26 REPLIES 26
SOLVED
Message 1 of 27
robglass
1879 Views, 26 Replies

Cursor tooltip stuck on screen in ACA 2018

Autocad Architecture 2018

This box I guess from Auto Track or dynamic input won't go away. I have turned display autotrack tooltip off but it persists. When I first start a drawing all is normal but after selecting something or anything it stays on and follows the cursor. The only way it will turn off at all is to turn of dynamic Input. But I like dynamic input! If I turn dynamic input back on the box comes back on. When moving the cursor it's blank. When I stop moving the cursor some text from the previous command is in there.

This does not occur in ACA 2017.

Thanks for any ideas.

Bob

2017-09-27_6-49-50.png

@robglass for clarity VStudley edited the original subject: Another "How do I make this go away?"

26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27
pendean
in reply to: robglass

REGENALL not get rid of it? Your video card may be choking under ACA2018, it's not able to refresh.

Message 3 of 27
Victoria.Studley

Hi @robglass,

Did @pendean's recommendation yesterday help you resolve the issue?

If not, I'd like a bit more information about your environment to try to get to the bottom of this. What you're describing sounds similar to this other thread that is currently ongoing.

• Which operating system are you running on?
  • Do you have all of the updates for ACA 2018 installed? (Enter ABOUT at the command line and report back the versions listed there.)
  • Which graphics card and driver version are you using? Are they on the certified hardware list?
  • Does toggling Hardware Acceleration ON/OFF make a difference?
  • Is this happening on multiple machines in your office?
  • Did it start happening after installing a particular update (for AutoCAD, ACA, or Windows)?

If one or more of these posts helped answer your question, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Victoria Studley
Content Experience Designer - Fusion 360
Fusion 360 | Learn & Support
Documentation | Contact Support
Message 4 of 27
robglass
in reply to: Victoria.Studley

Hi there. The problem has not gone away.
I'm on Windows 10. I have a NVIDA Quadro 6000 video card with the latest
driver. I had been using an older driver that Autocad said was compliant. I
updated the driver to see if the problem would go away but it did not help.
I've done all of the checks (turned this and that on and off, opened
multiple different drawings, etc.) you have described.
When I start a new drawing with our default template the everything is fine
until after performing several commands, moving, stretching and so on. It
does seem to appear more often after dimensioning.
It happens only in ACA 2018. I've tried resaving in other releases, still
happens.
I was preparing to move up to 2018 now that my add-in authors have caught
up (another issue) but I find it too annoying.
If I turn dynamic input at the command prompt off it goes away but if I
turn it back on the box reappears.
If you would like a live demonstration I could show you the behavior at
your convenience.

Bob Crooker
bob@glasssystems.com

Message 5 of 27
robglass

I just looked at the screen cast of the other user and that's what mine does. His seemed to do it after dimensioning as well.

Bob

Message 6 of 27
Victoria.Studley

Hi @robglass,

Thanks for the quick reply.

• When exactly did this start happening?
  • After a particular AutoCAD, ACA, or Windows update was installed?
  • If you enter ABOUT at the command line, what do the build/version numbers state?

I'm trying to determine if this is caused by a recent update we released or a recent Windows update. Since I can't reproduce it here, it's important to note when exactly this started happening and what changed in your environment when it began.

I think I have a fair idea of what the behavior looks like from the Screencast in that other forum thread, but if you'd like to record and post one here as well, it couldn't hurt.

If one or more of these posts helped answer your question, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Victoria Studley
Message 7 of 27
robglass

I just started trying to use ACA 2018 the other day as I was waiting for
the add-in I use a lot to catch up. I had only opened it a few times prior
and had not noticed anything abnormal. Even though I was not yet using it I
have been installing the updates as they became available.
Product version: 8.0.60.0 ACA 2018.0.2
Build on: O.154.0.0 ACAD 2018.1.1

Bob

Message 8 of 27
Victoria.Studley

Hi @robglass,

I'm testing here on the same setup with AutoCAD and ACA 2018 up to date, with a Quadro K5000 card with the certified driver version installed (21.21.13.7586), and have not been able to reproduce the issue.

I wonder, have you migrated any custom settings or installed your custom plug-ins in 2018 yet?

• You could try resetting to defaults to rule out an issue with corrupt custom settings or conflicts with third-party plug-ins.

Additionally, here is a snapshot of my OPTIONS > Drafting tab > Drafting Tooltip Settings... dialog box:

Tooltip_Appearance_Dialog_Box.png

Could you compare yours to see if there's any difference that might be causing the problem?

Victoria Studley
Message 9 of 27
robglass

I didn't get you clip but here is mine.
I guess I'll try resetting it. I alway hate doing that as it takes so long
to re-customize it again. I'm not using it anyway, I guess.
I'm of a mind to think it's something in one little lisp thinks we use or
an add-in.
I'll try it and see what happens.
Bob

[image: Inline image 1]

Message 10 of 27
robglass

I set my options the same as yours and now it doesn't seem to want to fail.

I'm going to work with it some more this afternoon and see what it does,

Bob

Message 11 of 27
robglass

No go. After just a few minutes, just copying an object, it started again.

2017-09-28_13-24-58.png

Message 12 of 27
Victoria.Studley

Hi @robglass,

I'm sorry to hear the issue returned again.

Did you install any Windows Updates around the time the issue started happening?

Could you create a system information file (NFO) for the affected machine, and either attach it to your reply post or send it to me in a PM?

I'd like to compare your system to a working one to see if I might spot any differences.

Victoria Studley
Message 13 of 27
robglass

I reset ACA 2018 to default. Opened a totally blank drawing and the problem
occurred after 3 or 4 commands. I opened an existing drawing and it
happened again as well. I have attached the system info file you asked for.

Let me know if you would like any other information.

Thanks for looking into this.

Bob

Message 14 of 27
Victoria.Studley

Hi @robglass,

It looks like the NFO file didn't attach. Could you right-click it and Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder, then attach the ZIP file to your response?

Victoria Studley
Message 15 of 27
robglass

Zipped NFO file.

Message 16 of 27
robglass

FYI I installed the just released update .03 and the problem persists.

Bob

Message 17 of 27
Victoria.Studley

Hi @robglass,

Thanks for posting the NFO. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary that might cause this, aside from:

• The driver version for your graphics card is not the certified version (but I recall you saying you tried it as well, and the same issue occurred).
  • There are a lot of third-party applications installed that could conflict (ProjectWise, CAD-PLAN, CCAD, HILTI, etc.).
  • There are multiple versions of various Autodesk software installed. Have you tried a clean uninstall of all Autodesk software recently?
  • There are several antivirus/security programs that might be conflicting - either with AutoCAD or with each other (Malwarebytes, CCleaner, McAfee, etc.). Have you tried temporarily disabling all of these and testing the program without them running?

Another option here is to try a diagnostic startup to test ACA 2018 in a clean environment to eliminate these other variables. Could you try this and let us know what happens?

Victoria Studley
Message 18 of 27
robglass

I have AutoCAD and ACA 2017, ACA 2018 and Revit 2018 installed right now. All older versions have been unistalled as has the Athena CAD-PLAN add-on. Probably some deep entries in the registry still exist. I don't know anything about that stuff.

I messed around with it some more this morning. The box seems to come stay on only when orthomode or object snap are on. Either one. Dynamic input can be on with these two off and it, and command line input at the cursor appear to work normally and the box does not stay on. I thought I had read something about some change in the rubber band line, but I may be mistaken.

I can attempt that diagnostic startup thing maybe later today.

I have to get some work done !! 🙂

Bob

Message 19 of 27
robglass

..also when polar tracking is on...

Sorry, forgot to add that one.

Bob

Message 20 of 27
robglass

Well I tried to do the diagnostic start up. Since the network licensing thing doesn't work in safe mode I could not start ACA 2018. I can't borrow a license as the directions described. There is no option in my ACA to do that. I have a stand alone license. I tried to do the safe mode with network but the network licensing program doesn't load then either.

The little box does not stay on unless ortho or polar tracking are turned on. If I start a new drawing in the same session the box stays off again until ortho or polar tracking are turned on. It stays off under all tracking options if the command line prompting is off.

ACA 2017 works fine always.

Bob

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost