AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD unexpected shutdown

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
paul
835 Views, 11 Replies

AutoCAD unexpected shutdown

Why does my autocad shutdown when trying to open drawings that i have never opened? - my work partner can easily access them. 

I need help ASAP, 

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
rkmcswain
in reply to: paul

Is this AutoCAD or AutoCAD Arch?

Could be several factors here.

Can your partner log on to your PC and open then while logged on as him/her?

Compare:

Display adapter + driver

.NET version(s)

SP levels, hotfixes, etc.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 12
paul
in reply to: rkmcswain

I fixed the issue - by uninstalling the last update. Thanks Autodesk.... 

Message 4 of 12
rkmcswain

The latest update?
2018.1 ?

Would be good to know, to warn others. Thanks.
R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 5 of 12
paul
in reply to: rkmcswain

Yes - that was yesterday's update- AutoCAD 2018.1!!! I hate things like this, but it happens what can you do. Thanks for your prompt response!!!

Message 6 of 12
Sridhar-Autodesk

Hi Paul,

Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Would it be possible to send us the sample drawing files that are shutting down AutoCAD.

Alternatively, you may send the drawing files at sridharDOTsubramaniATautodeskDOTcom if you prefer not to post the drawing on the forum.

Thanks,

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Sridhar Subramani

Senior Product Owner

Message 7 of 12
paul
in reply to: Sridhar-Autodesk

I do not think it is the drawing - it practically is every single document that i opened. Everyone in our circle that has 2018.1 update installed has the same problem - then we uninstall it and everything is good. 

Message 8 of 12
dan908

Hi Paul,
I don't mean to bug you on a Saturday, but we take this very seriously and would genuinely like to track down the problem to help. Sridhar is the lead of ACA testing and I am the lead of AutoCAD testing.
So, I had a couple questions when it is convenient:
When you open the files, is it by double clicking in Windows Explorer or using the AutoCAD open dialog? Are the files emailed or from a server or local to your machine? Which version of Windows? Did you restart after installing ( it is not necessary)? When AutoCAD Arch stops, is there a crash dialog? Does it just disappear? Do almost all files contain a unique character like !@#$%etc?
If you have a few minutes I can ask product support to join us on a call and we can see if we can track down the problem. So far we have not had any reports like this so we are very concerned for getting your team up and running.

Dan

AutoCAD Quality Assurance Manager
Message 9 of 12
paul
in reply to: dan908

The files are from a local machine/harddrive. I tried to open any file from within the software and by double clicking. I am using windows 8.1, but my partners are using 10 and the same problem. I also tried to restart which did not bare any fruit. There is a crash dialog, i did submit twice or so already - if that means anything.... I have to close of the dialog. No unique file names. We can have a call if you wish - you can call right now if you wish, also i should tell you that i did uninstall the update on all my machines and things are back to normal. 

Thanks for your time - please do not worry about bothering me saturday, 

Paul 

Message 10 of 12
dan908

Thanks Paul, I am trying to find if I can get the open save guy on the phone and I will call around 10 Pacific time zone if that is ok (about 1 hour).
Looking at the crash report right now.

Dan

Message 11 of 12
dan908

Paul, thank you so much for talking to us this morning.
So, to close the loop on this, when opening DXF files saved in 2013 format. It did not crash on 2018.0.2, but does on 2018.1. We are taking action to research it and will get a resolution out as soon as we can. Since this case is fairly specific to certain items in the DXF, we have someone researching the fix immediately, but for now we will leave the update available. Like Paul, if others are having this problem, one solution is to remove the update for now. Also, you can save the DXF as a dwg to fix it if you are using a limited number of these drawings.
Paul, thank you again so much. And we will email you and post back here with a final solution to this problem.

Dan

Message 12 of 12
dan908
in reply to: dan908

Thank you again for reporting this issue to us. We believe this problem may affect a fraction of a percent of our users, but want to make sure that those affected have a solution in place as soon as possible. The problem only affects customers that open DXF files, with XRefs attached, that have certain specific attributes.

I am attaching the ACDB22.DLL file and some brief instructions to apply this hotfix.

To apply the Hotfix for AutoCAD, LT, or Vertical products crashing after applying Update 1 when opening DXF files that contain XREFs:

1. Be sure Update 1 is installed. In the ABOUT dialog you will see the AutoCAD version is 2018.1 – O.107.0.0. Be sure that your AutoCAD based product is closed.
  2. Navigate in Windows Explorer to C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2018 (or the product name you wish to apply the change to).
  3. Find the file named ACDB22.DLL in this folder. Rename it to ACDB22_OLD.DLL
  4. Copy the correct file attachment to the location where you just renamed the ACDB22.dll file. (ACADx64 for all AutoCAD Verticals and AutoCAD for 64 bit operating systems, ACADX32 for all AutoCAD Verticals and AutoCAD for 32 bit operating systems, ACADLTX64 for AutoCAD LT only for a 64 bit operating system, and ACADLTX32 for AutoCAD LT only for a 32 bit operating system).
  5. Restart your AutoCAD based product and it should now be able to open DXF files with Xrefs.
  6. Note that if you would like to remove the hotfix, delete the new copied file and rename ACDB22_OLD.DLL to remove the _OLD.

We will endeavor to include this hotfix in future updates, so if you have a newer update than Update 1 – 2018.1 – O.107.0.0, it shouldn’t be necessary to install this hotfix.

Dan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost