AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Architecture - Using AEC Modify Tools loses draworder

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
JeffLMoran
479 Views, 8 Replies

AutoCAD Architecture - Using AEC Modify Tools loses draworder

Why does using AEC Modify Tools looses display order of objects?

[ The subject line of this post has been edited to include the product name by @handjonathan ]

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
pendean
in reply to: JeffLMoran

Dumb question, but if you use REGENALL command afterwards, does it fix the display order for your objects by chance?
Message 3 of 9
JeffLMoran

Thanks for your replay, Pendean, but no it does not fix when "REGENALL".

Basically, when using the AEC Modify Tools command (in this case "LINEWORKTRIM") Acad deletes the original object (line) and creates a new one as apposed to what an original trim would do and just modify the original object.

Hope that makes sense.

Message 4 of 9
pendean

Ah, so in AutoCAD/ARCH new content is always on top, an old 35+year issue. Is that basically it then?
Message 5 of 9
JeffLMoran

Yes, basically that would be it, but I didn't create a new object, I'm only modifying an existing object so I'm not expecting to find the draworder to be changed.

Message 6 of 9
JeffLMoran

For some reason this issue was marked as solved.

I did not mark it as solved!

As pendean wrote, "with new content is always on top..."

In fact is not new content. It's a modification of existing line work.

In the attached video, you can see I'm simply trimming lines and afterwards the text display order changes.

My issue here is that when setting the display order in this case using text background to cover beam lines, I finish editing, create pdf submit the set then find the display order some how changed and my text is now under the beam lines.

So what happened?

After a lot of research, I found what caused it.

See attached video clip!

As shown in the video, I'm using normal editing procedures and ending up with unexpected results.

This is frustrating and to me appears to be a bug!

Message 7 of 9
pendean

@JeffLMoran Thanks for sharing the added tip and video. AFAIK "editing" replaces content too, sort of new I guess, a decades-old AutoCAD challenge for us users.

Have you discovered TEXTTOFRONT command yet?

Yeah, I'm not sure why a question to you from me was tagged.
Message 8 of 9
JeffLMoran
in reply to: pendean

Thank Pendean,

Your quick responses are always appreciated.

Yeah, sometimes a image or video clip is worth 1000 words. I just figured out how to actually do that so hopefully I can be a little cleared in future questions/posts.

Unfortunately using TEXTTOFRONT has some side effects like hiding part of the beam below the text.

It's just something I have to keep aware of and hopefully catch before output.

Again, thank you very much!

Message 9 of 9
David_W_Koch

@JeffLMoran 

You gave the answer in your first reply to @pendean; LineworkTrim is deleting the original object and replacing it with a new one.  I understand why you do not like that, but that is the way the command works.  It likely has to do with the fact that it can trim things that the AutoCAD TRIM command cannot trim, such as Block References.

In the video of the test I did, below, there are three Polylines (white).  These are tagged with a custom tag that displays the Handle value of those Polylines, obtains from an Automatic property I added to a custom Property Set that applies to Polylines.  A Handle is a unique identifier for objects in an AutoCAD file that is persistent between editing sessions.  There are also three unanchored tags (default text is "HANDLE") below the Polylines, along with static Text that records the Handle value for each Polyline.

After the LineworkTrim command is executed, the tags disappear, because the original objects were deleted and replaced by new, trimmed Polylines.  I then anchor one of the unanchored tags to each of the new Polylines, but the value does not change initially because the Property Set is not attached to those new Polylines.  After adding the Property Set, the Handle values are displayed, and are different from the original values because these are in fact new objects.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta