AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Area Schedule Table does not add up

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
jabcad
708 Views, 10 Replies

Area Schedule Table does not add up

Capture.JPG

Tags (2)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
brian_adams
in reply to: jabcad

This is because of precision and rounding of numbers. Take a look to Proper date formats>FORMATTING >PRECISION( choosing date format you are using in schedule)

Message 3 of 11
David_W_Koch

@jabcad:

@brian_adams is correct, the problem you have is that AutoCAD Architecture uses the raw numbers, before formatting, to calculate the total, then applies the formatting to the numbers shown, including the total.  That can result in totals that are slightly off from the total of the displayed individual numbers.

This blog article, Rounding and Column Totals, goes into more detail about the situation and offers a number of ways around it, if having the total be the actual total of the displayed numbers is important.  There are links to a number of other articles at the bottom of that one.  (Rounding values was an apparent obsession of mine at one point in my life.)

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 4 of 11
Kevin.Palmer

Hi @jabcad,

I'm just checking in to see if you need more help with this. Did the suggestions that @David_W_Koch and @brian_adams provided work for you?

If so, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Message 5 of 11

This seems to still be an issue in AEC 2017. Tried reading through all the information above...now my head hurts.

Anyone know of a more simple solution to the table numbers not totaling correctly, or have some Excedrin?

Can share file if needed...

Thanks...John

ACAD AEC TABLE.jpg

Message 6 of 11
pendean
in reply to: johnferris6437

AEC2017? That's a collection of software.
Is there rounding that you masked in those totals by chance? Pretty pictures don't explain why the problem occurs, post your DWG file with that table in it?
Message 7 of 11
johnferris6437
in reply to: pendean

Thanks for the quick reply...

It's AutoCAD Architecture 2017.

My quick fix was actually to use a wipeout to correct the total number - but not on the image posted.

Stripped the file down to just the spaces and tables....and attached it.

And...thanks man...never thought it was that pretty though.

John

Message 8 of 11

Your Space Chart Areas Property Data Format rounds the area values to the nearest square foot prior to display in the table.  But those are not the values that AutoCAD Architecture adds together when it calculates the total.  It uses the raw values, then rounds the total to the nearest square foot.  Sometimes the round ups and round downs offset each other, and the total is what you get if you add the displayed numbers.  But you can also have mostly round ups or mostly round downs, and the displayed total will appear incorrect (either high or low).

You can use a formula property to do the rounding of the raw numbers, instead of using a Property Data Format to do the rounding.  Then AutoCAD Architecture will use the (rounded) formula property results to do the math, and the total will be the total of the displayed numbers.  In the image below (and in the attached file, which is a revision of the file you posted), I added two additional properties and then added those two properties to your Stor/Mech Schedule Table.  The first added property is there just to show what AutoCAD Architecture is using to do the addition, and is the same Automatic Property Source as your AREA (NSF) column uses, with a custom Property Data Format that rounds to the nearest hundred-millionth (eight decimal places).  You would not need to use this in a working schedule.  You can see that the total here is 1304.888..., which rounds to 1305, the total in your AREA (NSF) column.

The second property is added is a Formula property, which takes the SpaceStyles:NetFloorArea property your AREA (NSF) column displays, with the 8-decimal-place Property Data Format applied, and then rounds that number to the nearest whole number.  That gives each line the same number as your AREA (NSF) column, but the total is given as 1306, because AutoCAD Architecture is using the property values to generate the sum, which are the rounded values generated by the formula.

2020-03-04_ACA2017_RoundingExample_ScheduleTableResults.png

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 9 of 11

Thanks for making the time David...

Where can I find the two properties you added? Looking at the Style Manager, I only see the "Space Chart Areas - 8 Decimal Places" Property Data Format listed.

Editing your revised table, I see the desired total column uses "NetFloorAreaCalculated" as a property, but don't see that one in the Style Manager...?

In re-reading your response, you said you used a formula property...not a Property Data Format. I see the available tab "Add Formula Column" and guess that's what you used and added a formula. How can I access the formula that's used for the desired total column?

JohnSchedule Rounding.jpg

Message 10 of 11

I did not use a Formula column.  Both Properties I added can be found in the SpaceStyles Property Set Definition in which the NetFloorArea property that was already in your schedule resides.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 11 of 11

Thanks .Found it....don't understand it...but will try and implement into our different tables for the future.

Too bad the software doesn't understand the logic of it - having tables actually add.

If I stumble again, I'll present some more questions for you.

Thanks again,

John

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report