Assemble Products Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Assemble Systems Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Assemble Systems topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I upgrade Ubuntu 18.04 to Ubuntu 21.04

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
685 Views, 3 Replies

How can I upgrade Ubuntu 18.04 to Ubuntu 21.04

Hey, 

I am trying to upgrade Ubuntu 18.04 to 21.04 on our company's Sanjay Metal India  Dell Desktop, So how should I upgrade it in order to be able to install Proton VPN.

Labels (2)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks for asking the question. I am using the Ubuntu Software for quite a long so I think that I am capable to give this answer. I am writing all of the steps accordingly, which you can follow -

Pre-requisites

1- Take Backups

Before starting to attempt anything, always take ‘BACKUP’. This is only in case things don’t go as planned. & make it a thumb rule to take backups, if possible at regular intervals. 

You can refer to our tutorial on how to perform Ubuntu Backups using Timeshift.

2- Change to ‘Open source drivers’

If using any proprietary drivers for your hardware, switch them back to ‘Open Source drivers’. The reason for this is that the proprietary drivers for the hardware might not be available for the OS version that we are upgrading to & this might lead to system instability.

To revert back to open source drivers, open the 'Software & Updates' & select the 'Additional Drivers' tab & then select all the open-source drivers for your hardware.

3- Disable 3rd party repositories

This is just a precaution but still, you should disable all the 3rd party or Canonical partner repositories from the ‘Software & updates’ menu. To disable the repositories,  open the 'Software & Updates' & select the 'Other Software' tab & uncheck all the selected repositories.

4- Fully update your system & install update-manager-core

Before proceeding to up-gradation to the latest version, please make sure that you have a fully updated system. If you are not updated, run the following command from your terminal,

Basically I am using Ubuntu for developing my site cloud based ERP for small business. Based on which I am able to know all the important things. 

$ sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y

Also, run

$ sudo apt install dist-upgrade

Now to install update-manager-core, run the following command,

$ sudo apt install update-manager-core

& then perform system reboot,

$ reboot

5- Remove unused kernels

Remove the unused kernels with the following command,

$ sudo apt --purge autoremove

We are now done preparing the system for upgrading the system for OS upgrade.

Upgrade Ubuntu 18.04 / 20.04 to Ubuntu 21.04

With a simple single-line command mentioned below, we can upgrade our Ubuntu systems to Ubuntu 21.04,

$ sudo do-release-upgrade

Note:- If you are trying to upgrade the Ubuntu system to 21.04 before it releases i.e. 22nd April 2021, then the above-mentioned command might not work. You need to run the following command, 

$ sudo do-release-upgrade -d 

To get more information like this you can visit erp systems to know IT related this. 

Once the process for the Ubuntu upgrade starts, you will be prompted to accept the upgrade, press ‘Y’. There will be some more prompts to either press the ‘ENTER’ key or press ‘Y’, do so to complete the upgrade process. The process will take some time to complete & once the process is completed, the system will restart.

That’s it, this is how you upgrade Ubuntu 18.04 / 20.04 to Ubuntu 21.04. Please do let us know if you face any issues or have any queries using the comment box below.

Message 3 of 4
digitalthinkerhelp

To upgrade from Ubuntu 18.04 to Ubuntu 21.04, you'll need to follow a two-step upgrade process. First, you'll upgrade from Ubuntu 18.04 to Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, and then you can proceed to upgrade from Ubuntu 20.04 to Ubuntu 21.04.

Please note that before performing any major system upgrade, it's always a good idea to back up your important files and create a system backup. Additionally, make sure you have a stable internet connection throughout the upgrade process.

Here's how you can upgrade from Ubuntu 18.04 to Ubuntu 20.04 LTS:

Open a terminal by pressing Ctrl + Alt + T on your keyboard.
Run the following command to update your system packages:

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

2. Once the system is up to date, run the following command to install the update manager tool:

sudo apt install update-manager-core

3. Open the release upgrade prompt by running the following command:

sudo do-release-upgrade -c

4. This will check for available upgrades and display information about the release upgrade.

5. If the command in the previous step indicates that a new release is available, continue to the next step. Otherwise, make sure you have enabled the "Notify me of a new Ubuntu version" option in the Software & Updates settings.

Start the upgrade process by running the following command:

sudo do-release-upgrade

6. Follow the on-screen instructions to proceed with the upgrade. You might be prompted to confirm the upgrade and make some choices during the process.

7. Once the upgrade is complete, restart your system.

After upgrading to Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, you can proceed to upgrade to Ubuntu 21.04 using the following steps:

Open a terminal.
Run the following command to update your system packages:
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

Install the release upgrader for Ubuntu 21.04 by running:
sudo apt install update-manager-core

Initiate the release upgrade process by running the following command:
sudo do-release-upgrade

Follow the prompts and instructions provided during the upgrade process.

Once the upgrade is complete, restart your system.

Remember that upgrading to a newer version of Ubuntu may take some time, depending on your internet connection speed and the amount of data being downloaded. It's important to have a stable power source and avoid interrupting the upgrade process once it has started. Ubuntu is totally different from the UNIX operating system .

Message 4 of 4
7vbbbmlj

Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing.Thanks.

business directory

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report