Community
Arnold for Maya Forum
Rendering with Arnold in Maya using the MtoA plug-in.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Standin - Viewport 2.0 GPU memory

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Andrew_Wilkins1
270 Views, 2 Replies

Standin - Viewport 2.0 GPU memory

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding Standins in Viewport 2.0 when set to Shaded display mode.

They seem to use up significantly more GPU memory than a GPU cache. I've noticed that the "GPU Instancing" VP2 option helps slightly, but nothing in comparison to a gpu cache.

Is there anyway to get Standins lighter on the GPU without going to bounding boxes?

Second question: If the case is that Standins are just heavier. Does anyone know of a way to prevent gpu caches from loading into memory at render time? ie. keep them visible in the viewport but have no effect on ram usage.

EDIT: Okay, so it seems like the best option is to use your own proxy geo as a procedural and not use standins?

Thank you.
Andrew

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

1) afaik, standins don't do anything special for the GPU, not like a gpuCache. MtoA has to recreate the geometry based on what's in an ass file, so it's going to be "heavier" than a gpuCache

2) mtoa translates a gpuCache node to an alembic procedural node. The only way I see to avoid that is to turn the gpuCache into a template (Object Display > Template in the Attribute Editor)

// Stephen Blair
// Arnold Renderer Support
Message 3 of 3

Thank you Stephen 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report