Community
Arnold for 3ds Max Forum
Rendering with Arnold in 3ds Max using the MaxtoA plug-in.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

frosted glass material crashes 3DS Max '21, Arnold renderer

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
glenn
248 Views, 2 Replies

frosted glass material crashes 3DS Max '21, Arnold renderer

I have been running to into this issue for a while now, and can't quite find a specific smoking gun as to what is tripping it up. I am rendering what would be considered an architectural scene, with elements that have frosted glass, working from a Physical Material preset for "Frosted Glass". However more time than not upon rendering, it crashes the program. At first I thought maybe it was geometry collision confusing the math, (two objects in same space, such as not cutting holes out of a glass panel for hardware to pass through a solid). But now I'm thinking is has to do with the reflection of these frosted materials. I have a scene that will render the frosted glass just fine when looking directly at it, but nothing reflecting those surfaces, but if I render the opposite side of the room, (with no frosted glass in view, but several reflective surfaces) it crashes, ...unless I hide the frosted glass from behind the camera manually, then it'll render fine. Haven't be able to find any blog posts or fixes out there, so had to post myself... Thanks in advance.

Tags (2)
Labels (2)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
glenn
in reply to: glenn

So in the time since posting... I have seen an update for both Max and Arnold. I've updated those and a quick test seems to show the material is playing nice. This was just a quick test, I'll continue work on the actual projects and see if in fact the bug was weeded out through this last update...

Message 3 of 3
thiago.ize
in reply to: glenn

Happy to hear that might have already been fixed. If this or something else happens again, I suggest when the crash happens that you submit the CER report that pops up and include your email address. You'll then get a notification if it's already been fixed in a newer arnold or when a new arnold does come out with a fix, you'll get an email letting you know.

Also, the CER report helps us figure out why the crash might have happened.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report