Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quadro 4000 vs P2000

30 REPLIES 30
SOLVED
Message 1 of 31
pozdeev.av
3031 Views, 30 Replies

Quadro 4000 vs P2000

Hello!

Last five years our team was working in Alias Surface 2014/2015 on HP Z210 with Quadro 4000. One week ago we've got new machines HP Z440 with Quadro P2000, but still the same Alias Surface 2015. And there is one annoying issue we can’t solve:

All lines without “Wireframe Anti-Alias” option look ragged

Alias_wireframe.jpg

This bug appears only if  “Hardware Anti-Alias” option is ONAlias_settings.jpg

I see Quadro P2000 is certified only for Alias 2018-2019, And there is no information about earlier versions like 2015.

(https://knowledge.autodesk.com/certified-graphics-hardware)

Maybe has anyone encountered this problem?

Thank you!

30 REPLIES 30
Message 2 of 31
Michael-GG
in reply to: pozdeev.av

Hi,

Two questions:
First, on your image, the switch in front of "WindowsDisplay > Anti-Alias > Wireframe Anti-Alias" is not activated (only Shaded Anti-Alias is activated). Does activating the switch for Wireframe AntiA-lias change anything?
Second question: does changing the value under "Menu > ObjectDisplay > Draw Precision" do anything?
Thanks,
GG

Michael G.-G.
Manager Quality Assurance Automotive
Message 3 of 31
pozdeev.av
in reply to: Michael-GG

Hello!

1. Yes, activating “wireframe Anti-alias” option allows to avoid these ragged lines, but It starts to work well only with “Hardware Anti-Alias” = 8x (with 4x wireframe blinks when pressing “Shift+Alt”). At this moment I’m working with “wireframe anti-alias” mode ON with 8x.

(On old machine I used to work without “wireframe Anti-alias” and i’ve just tried to mirgate preference settings to the new machine with Quadro P2000).

Another moment: If “Hardware Anti-alias” is turned OFF, problem is solved.

2. On screenshots below I’ve showed relation between “Draw Precision” parameter and displaying of wireframe. The worst result is with “draw precision” = 1. More or less acceptable result is with “draw precision” = 0, but small details still get lost.

Thank you!

Draw Precision = 0Draw Precision = 0Draw Precision =1Draw Precision =1

Message 4 of 31
Michael-GG

Okay, so that means that you can currently work without major issues, right? For your information, we have made some changes to Anti-Alias in Alias 2019.0 and 2019.1, allowing a higher AA value to be used (in case 8x is not sufficient).
If you are fine, can you please mark my answer as accepted solution?
Thanks,

GG

Michael G.-G.
Message 5 of 31
pozdeev.av

Hello!

Thank you for your answer!

Working with AA 8x is a temporary solution! We’ve got more powerfull machines, but all perfomance is wasted for displaying model in 8x Hardware AA.

I just want to find out where the problem is. Either it is a conflict between new gereneration of videocard and obsolete version of Alias or, maybe, problem could be solved by installing correct driver’s version (I tried to install the latest version and recommended one by Autodesk)

Of course, we can close the problem but  it means IT department will think everything is perfect and will buy next 15 machines with the same issues.

On the image below I showed “system info” of my machine. Maybe it will help to find where the problem is.

system_info.jpg

Message 6 of 31
Michael-GG

Hi,

If you set the environment variable ALIAS_ENABLE_16XAA to 1, you can have higher Anti-Aliasing. But for Alias versions older than Alias 2019 it will also blur the user interface.

If you can get your IT to update your Alias version to 2019 or newer, then you should not have the issue, and be able to use AA 16X. 32X and 64X Anti-Aliasing is only offered in theory by the card, in reality it does not seeem to have any effect than making Alias slower (tested on Alias 2019).

Hope this helps?

Cheers,

GG

Michael G.-G.
Message 7 of 31
pozdeev.av

Hello!

Unfortunately this is not going to help. Our goal is to work with these settings:

1. Wireframe anti-alias – OFF
  2. Shaded anti-alias – ON
  3. Hardware anti-alias – x4
  4. Draw precision – near 1 (reducing it to near 0 decreases quality of curves and makes it extremely hard to work in close-up)

This settings we used on our previous workstations with Quadro 4000.

Right now it is impossible  to use this settings because of few things:

1. Switching wireframe anti-alias to OFF causes missing lines and details like on my pictures above.
  2. Switching Hardware anti-alias to x4 causes uncomfortable amount of flickering of the model.

We’ve bought new PCs because we wanted to work faster with heavy models. Switching to wireframe anti-alias – ON and hardware anti-alias above x4 reduces viewport performance so we would like to avoid it. Unfortunately buying new Alias 2019 on top of new PCs is not an options at the moment.

So we would like to understand why we are facing all this problems with this particular settings. Is it because of Alias 2015 not being compatible with nVidia Qudro P2000, driver’s issue or something else?

Message 8 of 31
Michael-GG

I will try to get this setup checked, and come back to you.

Michael G.-G.
Message 9 of 31
pozdeev.av

Thank you!

Message 10 of 31
michael.wu

Hi, we have reproduced this issue. It seems that all the P series (P2000,P4000,P5000) of Qaudro graphic cards have the same issue. It will occur when the model is toggled on shaded anti-alias with 4x sampling. We hope this will be addressed om an upcoming release. Thanks!

Message 11 of 31
igor.bobkov
in reply to: michael.wu

Hi, Michael. Could you please provide the terms for solving that issue?

Message 12 of 31
michael.wu
in reply to: igor.bobkov

Message 13 of 31
pozdeev.av
in reply to: michael.wu

Hello everybody!

Thank you for your support!

It seems we are talking about two different issues: main issue and little problem.

I’ll try to divide them:

The main problem is dotted lines. You can see printscreen in my first post.

This issue occurs when Hardware AA is ON (4x or 8x — doesn’t matter), and wireframe AA is OFF

In alias 2015 we’ve solved this issue by turning ON Wireframe AA.

Little problem

But when wireframe AA is ON you get flickering lines in viewports when press ALT+Shift. And by switching hardware AA from 4x to 8x we just get rid of this  issue.

I presume you are talking about the problem of flickering lines, but not about dotted wireframe. I want to say: this is a problem not of Quadro P-series only. The problem exists also on old Quadro 4000

We’ve started to test Alias2019 on new machines with P5000. And there is an issue with dotted lines even with wireframe AA is turned ON 4x or 8X.

You can see it on screes below: problem exists  either when  wireframe AA is OFF or is ON (8x)

Bug1.jpgBug2.jpg

As I wrote in the very first post, the dotted lines is our main problem. 

Best regards

Message 14 of 31
Michael-GG

Hi,

Can you please let us know if you are testing with Alias 2019? We do have known Anti-Alias issues for some cards there, which look similar to the image you posted. These should be fixed with 2019.1. Can you please try that one (if you didn't already)?

Thanks,

GG

Michael G.-G.
Message 15 of 31
igor.bobkov

@pozdeev.av could you please provide any feedback?

Message 16 of 31
pozdeev.av

Hello!

Sorry for delay reply!

> Can you please let us know if you are testing with Alias 2019?

Yes, two last images we’ve got by testing Alias2019.0. And now we are waiting for 2019.1 , but when it will happens, I have no idea.

Message 17 of 31
igor.bobkov

@Michael-GG do you know, if that issue will be fixed in 2019.1?

Message 18 of 31
Michael-GG

As mentioned above, the chances are pretty good. We had several customers reporting Anti-Alias issue on 2019, specifically on the P5000, which were fixed in 2019.1 (ALS-4099, ALS-4266, ALS-4332).

Cheers,
GG

Michael G.-G.
Message 19 of 31
igor.bobkov

And what is the release date?

Message 20 of 31
Michael-GG

2019.1 is already released?

Michael G.-G.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report