cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Implement an AI interface for adjusting the detail styles and then some

Implement an AI interface for adjusting the detail styles and then some

Get an AI chat bot into the software that can use our human words expressing what we want to change our detail styles to look like. Have each installation communicate with each other to share experience model. Eventually the bot would learn what we want to see our details look like and I would be much happier. The AI can also have access to my anchor database and correct all the Hilti to be up to date. I could ask it to size bar grate based on the span and load requirement. If it didn't have the data req'd. to make the decision it would go out and find it and calculate.

I basically want an AI chatbot built into AS that I can literally tell what to do. Imagine the possibilities!! 

OK Rudy here's what I want..

Go over to Hilti.com and scrape the database for new anchor products and update my database. 

Autodesk, you really want to leave Tekla and SDS2 in the wake of your turbulence?, Get on the AI wagon.  

5 Comments
bigcarl5000kg
Advisor

2023% agreement 

EricOlson1973
Advocate

Fantastic suggestion.

markhubrich
Advisor

I decided to see if I could produce a "I can't answer this question" scenario. This AI chatbot knows it's way around AISC it seems... I have not checked if the results are accurate but it's pretty much teaching me how to check it myself. 

Mark: Are you familiar with the AISC steel shapes database?

Rudy: 

Yes, I am familiar with the AISC steel shapes database. The American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC) provides a comprehensive database of steel shapes, which includes information on the geometric properties, mechanical properties, and availability of various steel shapes. The database includes a wide range of standard steel shapes, such as W-shapes, S-shapes, HP-shapes, and channels, as well as customized shapes that can be designed to meet specific requirements.

The AISC steel shapes database is widely used by engineers, architects, and designers in the construction industry to select appropriate steel shapes for various applications. It provides detailed information on the properties of steel shapes, including cross-sectional area, moment of inertia, section modulus, radius of gyration, and plastic section modulus, which are essential for performing structural analysis and design calculations.

Mark: If I have a w8x18 that spans 14'-8" with 4" of bearing on each end, how much weight will it hold?

Rudy: 

To determine how much weight a W8x18 steel beam can hold, we need to perform a structural analysis to calculate the maximum allowable load that the beam can support without failing.

Assuming the beam is simply supported (fixed at both ends and loaded at the center), and using the AISC Steel Construction Manual, we can calculate the maximum allowable uniform load (W) using the following equation:

W = (5/384) * ((L^4)/(E*I))

where: L = span length = 14' - 8" = 172 inches E = modulus of elasticity of steel = 29,000 ksi (kips per square inch) I = moment of inertia of W8x18 beam = 8.30 in^4 per foot (from AISC manual, Table 1-1) 4 inches of bearing on each end can be assumed to provide full support at the ends of the beam.

Substituting the values, we get:

W = (5/384) * ((172^4)/(29,000 * 8.30))

W = 9.97 kips (kips = 1000 pounds)

Therefore, a W8x18 steel beam spanning 14'-8" with 4" of bearing on each end can support a maximum allowable load of 9.97 kips or 9,970 pounds, assuming a simple support condition and a uniformly distributed load. However, please note that other factors such as the type of loading, type of connections, and other loads on the structure must also be considered for a complete structural analysis.

Mark: how about a w12x14 in the same condition?

Rudy: 

For a W12x14 steel beam spanning 14'-8" with 4" of bearing on each end, the maximum allowable load can be calculated using the same equation and assumptions as before:

W = (5/384) * ((172^4)/(29,000 * 11.60))

where: L = span length = 14' - 8" = 172 inches E = modulus of elasticity of steel = 29,000 ksi (kips per square inch) I = moment of inertia of W12x14 beam = 11.60 in^4 per foot (from AISC manual, Table 1-1) 4 inches of bearing on each end can be assumed to provide full support at the ends of the beam.

W = (5/384) * ((172^4)/(29,000 * 11.60))

W = 14.60 kips (kips = 1000 pounds)

Therefore, a W12x14 steel beam spanning 14'-8" with 4" of bearing on each end can support a maximum allowable load of 14.60 kips or 14,600 pounds, assuming a simple support condition and a uniformly distributed load. Again, please note that other factors must also be considered for a complete structural analysis.

Mark:  how much will the w12x14 sag with 14 kips being supported?

Rudy: 

To determine the deflection or sag of a W12x14 steel beam with a load of 14 kips, we need to calculate the deflection at mid-span using the following equation:

delta = (5 * w * L^4) / (384 * E * I)

where: w = load per unit length = (14 kips * 1000 lbs/kip) / (172 inches) = 81.395 lbs/in L = span length = 14' - 8" = 172 inches E = modulus of elasticity of steel = 29,000 ksi (kips per square inch) I = moment of inertia of W12x14 beam = 11.60 in^4 per foot (from AISC manual, Table 1-1)

delta = (5 * 81.395 * 172^4) / (384 * 29,000 * 11.60)

delta = 1.43 inches

Therefore, the deflection or sag of the W12x14 steel beam under a load of 14 kips will be approximately 1.43 inches at mid-span. It's important to note that this calculation assumes a simply supported beam with a uniform load and neglects any other factors that may affect the deflection of the beam, such as its end conditions or any additional loads that may be present.

Mark: what if the beam has a 1" camber?

Rudy:  

If the W12x14 steel beam has a 1" camber (upward curvature) when unloaded, this means that the beam has been intentionally fabricated with a slight curvature to compensate for the anticipated deflection under load. The camber will help ensure that the beam remains level under the weight of the load, reducing the overall deflection and minimizing any potential sag.

Assuming that the 1" camber is uniformly distributed along the length of the beam, we can account for it in the deflection calculation by subtracting the camber from the calculated deflection. Therefore, the deflection or sag of the W12x14 steel beam with a 1" camber under a load of 14 kips would be:

delta = (5 * w * L^4) / (384 * E * I) - camber

where: w = load per unit length = (14 kips * 1000 lbs/kip) / (172 inches) = 81.395 lbs/in L = span length = 14' - 8" = 172 inches E = modulus of elasticity of steel = 29,000 ksi (kips per square inch) I = moment of inertia of W12x14 beam = 11.60 in^4 per foot (from AISC manual, Table 1-1) camber = 1 inch

delta = (5 * 81.395 * 172^4) / (384 * 29,000 * 11.60) - 1

delta = 1.43 - 1

delta = 0.43 inches

Therefore, the deflection or sag of the W12x14 steel beam with a 1" camber under a load of 14 kips will be approximately 0.43 inches at mid-span. It's important to note that this calculation assumes a simply supported beam with a uniform load and neglects any other factors that may affect the deflection of the beam.

Mark:  what if the beam ends were supported by 3/8" knife plates using two 3/4" diameter A325 bolts?

Rudy: 

If the W12x14 steel beam is supported by 3/8" knife plates using two 3/4" diameter A325 bolts at each end, this will affect the maximum allowable load and the deflection or sag of the beam. The knife plates and bolts will provide partial restraint to the ends of the beam, which will affect the effective length of the beam and its ability to resist buckling.

To account for the knife plates and bolts, we can use the effective length factor K, which is based on the end conditions of the beam. For a simply supported beam with partial restraint at both ends, the effective length factor can be calculated using the following equation:

K = 0.65 * (L / r)

where: L = span length = 14' - 8" = 172 inches r = radius of gyration of W12x14 beam = 2.80 inches (from AISC manual, Table 1-1)

K = 0.65 * (172 / 2.80)

K = 40.09

The effective length factor K can be used to calculate the maximum allowable load for the beam using the following equation:

W = (K * pi^2 * E * I) / (L^2)

where: E = modulus of elasticity of steel = 29,000 ksi (kips per square inch) I = moment of inertia of W12x14 beam = 11.60 in^4 per foot (from AISC manual, Table 1-1)

W = (40.09 * pi^2 * 29,000 * 11.60) / (172^2)

W = 26.37 kips (kips = 1000 pounds)

Therefore, the maximum allowable load for the W12x14 steel beam supported by 3/8" knife plates using two 3/4" diameter A325 bolts at each end will be 26.37 kips or 26,370 pounds, assuming a simply supported beam with a uniform load and partial restraint at both ends.

To calculate the deflection or sag of the beam with the knife plates and bolts, we can use the same equation as before, but with a modified effective length factor:

delta = (5 * w * L^4) / (384 * E * I * K)

delta = (5 * 81.395 * 172^4) / (384 * 29,000 * 11.60 * 40.09)

delta = 0.35 inches

Therefore, the deflection or sag of the W12x14 steel beam with 3/8" knife plates and two 3/4" diameter A325 bolts at each end under a load of 14 kips will be approximately 0.35 inches at mid-span.

Mark: What if the holes were horizontally slotted at 1 1/4"?

Rudy:  

If the W12x14 steel beam is supported by 3/8" knife plates with two 3/4" diameter A325 bolts at each end, and the holes in the knife plates are horizontally slotted at 1 1/4", this will allow some lateral movement of the beam at the ends, which may affect the deflection or sag of the beam. The lateral movement will depend on the width of the slots and the size of the bolts.

Assuming that the slots are wide enough to allow the beam to move freely, we can still use the effective length factor K and the same equation to calculate the deflection or sag of the beam:

delta = (5 * w * L^4) / (384 * E * I * K)

However, the effective length factor K will need to be modified to account for the lateral movement of the beam. AISC provides a modification factor Cm for beams with slotted holes in the supports. According to AISC 360-16 (Specification for Structural Steel Buildings), the modification factor Cm can be calculated as follows:

Cm = 1 + (Lp / 3.3) * (Wp / Wb) * (tb / tw) * sqrt(Fy / E)

where: Lp = length of slotted hole in the direction of the beam (1 1/4" in this case) Wp = width of slotted hole perpendicular to the beam (assumed to be equal to the width of the knife plate) Wb = width of the beam tb = thickness of the knife plate tw = thickness of the beam Fy = yield strength of steel (assumed to be 50 ksi) E = modulus of elasticity of steel (29,000 ksi)

Cm = 1 + (1.25 / 3.3) * (5.99 / 4.00) * (0.38 / 0.50) * sqrt(50 / 29,000)

Cm = 1.10

The effective length factor K can be multiplied by the modification factor Cm to account for the slotted holes:

Keff = K * Cm

Keff = 40.09 * 1.10

Keff = 44.10

Finally, substituting the effective length factor Keff into the deflection equation, we get:

delta = (5 * w * L^4) / (384 * E * I * Keff)

delta = (5 * 81.395 * 172^4) / (384 * 29,000 * 11.60 * 44.10)

delta = 0.32 inches

Therefore, the deflection or sag of the W12x14 steel beam with 3/8" knife plates with two 3/4" diameter A325 bolts at each end and horizontally slotted holes at 1 1/4" under a load of 14 kips will be approximately 0.32 inches at mid-span, assuming the slots are wide enough to allow the beam to move freely.

bigcarl5000kg
Advisor

wow @markhubrich, amazing skills on both sides 😁😉

Austruct
Advocate

Implement AI for cleaning up the shop detail drawings.  

The shortcomings of detail styles could be addressed by the AI cleaning up the drawings.  

There are always a series of mundane tasks that AI could apply machine learning to or cross reference examples or and apply the same logic. This could get the drawings 95% complete state, with a detailer to run his final eye over.   

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report