Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welding symbols

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
nichole3XAJJ
2188 Views, 10 Replies

Welding symbols

Is there a way not to assign weld size to the weld symbol?

In most cases I have to assign a weld size to my welds but in the old cases for my shop drawings, a size is not required.  I just want it to be left blank.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Hi,

if you do not require a weld that is for example a standard size, then there is management tools default setting to set standard size, this will not show the size for the MT default.

See this forum post:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/advance-steel-forum/how-to-show-weld-size-in-symbol/td-p/8459182

you can also turn off weld symbols via the drawing style as well:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/screencast/Main/Details/313cd8c5-6...

the weld size comes from the weld symbol, this is a designated dwg template, with some attributes that link back to the system,  each weld type is controlled. By layers.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/advance-steel/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2019/ENU...

John Bennett
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 11

Sorry none of those are what I looking for.

I am wondering if I am able to have the weld thickness set to nothing when it is required.

When I insert a weld symbol it automatically adds a value into the thickness. It will not allow me to make it 0 or delete it.

Is this possible? 

Message 4 of 11

Hi, 

so i guess you are adding weld symbol manually in a drawing using the  tool in labels and dimensions.

So this tool is linked to the weld type, so if you change the weld type it changes the symbol to what is stored in the weld symbol file ( the DWG file)

this symbol is created and added to as you create new welds,   they will appear in both the model and the drawing editing/add weld symbol.

Adding a new weld

AKN below: 

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/advance-steel/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2019/ENU...

My suggestion is that you create a series of weld types, as you required,  call them for example   'Fillet-NoSize',  the symbol replicates the Fillet weld symbol,    But when it comes to the Attrubuites,  you delete them from the layer,  each new weld symbol is created upon a layer, that how it inserts, so many different types from a single file.

when you insert the weld, change it to the  for example 'Fillet NoSize' type and it should show the weld symbol, but without text attribute, it will not show the size.

i think that will work, because if you look at the dummy weld from the system, it displays like that in the drawing, just an arrow leader no text or other weld type elements.

Cheers

John Bennett
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 11
s_hannemann
in reply to: nichole3XAJJ

Hi,

if u want to delete the weld thickness you have to set the weld thickness to 1. For clarification see the picture below.

regards

pic1.png

Message 6 of 11
nichole3XAJJ
in reply to: s_hannemann

Yes I do understand that. Unfortunately I can't not delete it. I must have some value in that box.    

Message 7 of 11

to be sure for you: YES there had to be a value in this box. Empty boxes are not possible.
But as written here: you could avoid that this value is shown in the detaildrawing by the standard weld size on drawing ( default in the management tools)

There's no other way. The question is: why do you want to have it "empty"?

Sebastian Eiche
Application Engineer @Mensch und Maschine acadGraph

EESignature

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this make it easier for other users

Message 8 of 11

So I don't need a weld size thickness value on some shop drawing for symbols, such as square groove, because our shop has their own standards to follow. Unless The job requires a different value than the set standards it doesn't need a value.

Thanks everyone for the help. 

Message 9 of 11

but this is exactly what we say. You set the default which is shown from @johnjmbennett 
Default Management 

Sebastian_Eiche_1-1599831719104.png

Maybe you set this to "1" and then you activate the default for "create a weld symbol for standard size welding:

Sebastian_Eiche_0-1599831679917.png

Then in the model itself you use this thickness and the result will be, that on the detail drawing itself, the symbol will be created, but the thickness will not be shown...only the symbol

Sebastian Eiche
Application Engineer @Mensch und Maschine acadGraph

EESignature

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this make it easier for other users

Message 10 of 11

Hey @s_hannemann ,

If i may ask how did you get your weld symbols so clean, i have odd numbers even just a 10mm fillet well all around ill have a number 10 around the circle for fillet weld but can't seem to get rid of it?

Message 11 of 11
Kirk_bailey
in reply to: nichole3XAJJ

set the weld thickness size to .0625 & it wont show the weld size. just the symbols.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report