Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unacceptable copy and paste performance between drawing in Advance Steel!!

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
bukko
3711 Views, 24 Replies

Unacceptable copy and paste performance between drawing in Advance Steel!!

Hi Group,

At some point in the last 3 projects that I've had with stairs and railings my copy and paste performance is extended to absurdly unacceptable levels for the most basic element copying between drawings. I've purged.... exploded, deleted x refs and done everything I know and this problem keeps coming back in multiple projects. It's really pi@#$#$ me off! 

It takes up to 10 minutes or more to copy a simple exploded detail to another drawing. (I'm still waiting on a paste as I write this message and it looks like the program has hung up.  

What the heck is going on here!!!

Ilko passed along a technique that he uses and which involves saving to an "auxiliary"file ... purging that file and then saving to version 2013.

Once I'm able to paste the geometry to the new "auxiliary file the method works but I literally have to wait 10 min for each paste to the new file.

This is like watching paint dry....

If this is a bad practice issue.... then please help me identify it... 

I don't know of any other software besides autocad that has this absurd problem!

Please help.

Craig 

ECMS

24 REPLIES 24
Message 21 of 25
Julio_Soto
in reply to: bukko

I didn't seem to help. I purged, audited, and tried resetting the preferences as you mentioned earlier. I guess this is a completely different issue than the post here. 

Message 22 of 25
Julio_Soto

I don't know what is considered "many" specialparts, but I do have several in my model. Nothing is really helping. I just don't know why copying the simplest of entities would cause such a major lab spike regardless of what exists in my model. 

Message 23 of 25
Sebastian_Eiche

it's not equal how many special parts included in your model.dwg. If you have a big filesize, the performance of every dwg will be laggy (equal if it's Advance Steel or not).

If you insert a specialpart, this object will use the 3D solid.dwg and if this file is maybe 3mb and you insert this file as specialpart 500 times...imagine what this is doing with your model.

So as result, I don't know what could be the problem. Maybe you have support by your local reseller? They could have a look at the model or send it to Autodesk. 
you could also upload it here, but the we're all mainly here as privat persons, so it will maybe take a few moments, if we have the time to have a look for it.

Sebastian Eiche
Application Engineer @Mensch und Maschine acadGraph

EESignature

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this make it easier for other users

Message 24 of 25
Julio_Soto

I appreciate your input.  In general, I'm not having performance issues with my model. It's not laggy. The problem is only copying and pasting anything. Everything else seems to work just fine. I will reach out to my local reseller, thanks 😉

Message 25 of 25
Sebastian_Eiche

Copy and paste is a RAM problem, I would also try if the problem exist in another pc. Maybe your memory is not ok?

Sebastian Eiche
Application Engineer @Mensch und Maschine acadGraph

EESignature

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this make it easier for other users

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report