Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Model roles naming

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
sdetail
1145 Views, 16 Replies

Model roles naming

We would like to simplify the model roles but some of the
Connection joints do not allow us to change the model
Role? Material as well

We have jobs that have different grades of steel for certain jobs

The only way is to delete joint box?

Is there another way without compromising the connect?

Thanks
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Sebastian_Eiche
in reply to: sdetail

The material should be changeable in every situation. The modelrole is really limitated in some connection, in my opinion, this is a result of automatic detailstyles for example cutviews for endplates. But this should be changed and there're a few ideas belonging to this problem.

Sebastian Eiche
Application Engineer @Mensch und Maschine acadGraph

EESignature

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this make it easier for other users

Message 3 of 17
sdetail

What happens if I want to change just one object in the joint
From 300w to 350w?

This happens a lot in heavier connections

Thanks
Message 4 of 17
NinovSM

I think it's possible to create LISP to change blocked model role. But in this case I think after joint updating you will need to change model role again.

Message 5 of 17
Sebastian_Eiche

if material could not be changed in the joint, then just double click on it and change the material. If you have an example, it would be much easier to give a specific answer.

and according to the lisp: I'm not sure, if it's possible to change the role by list, if it's controlled by the joint, in my opinion this don't work.

Sebastian Eiche

EESignature

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this make it easier for other users

Message 6 of 17
DumitruBerteanu

For most connections, the model role is strictly controlled by the connection, and if it is not offered as a parameter inside the connection, then you won't be able to change it (if its also grayed out in the object properties dialog) 

For materials, coatings or other attributes, those are in most cases not controlled by the connection, so you can safely change them from the object dialog level, and it will be preserved. If for material/coating those attributes are grayed out, then you will be able to change if from the connection dialog. As a generic rule - in any situation materials and coatings should be changeable and not strictly controlled by the connection. 

Dumitru Berteanu
Product Owner
Message 7 of 17
Drawtech

You might want to vote on this idea:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/advance-steel-ideas/model-roles-in-joints/idi-p/6566105

Dave Gronow
Drawtech Services Ltd
Message 8 of 17
muleman1
in reply to: DumitruBerteanu

@DumitruBerteanu when inserting a profile, then giving it a model role, is it necessary to check the tick box to the left of "model role" in the advance properties box? Either way, is there a brief explanation of the tick boxes?

....How easy it is to acquire knowledge, yet how difficult and painstaking is the process of gaining wisdom. .... Chuck Swindoll
Message 9 of 17
DumitruBerteanu
in reply to: muleman1

The checkboxes that you can find next to each attribute on an object property dialog (model role, lot phase, commodity, user attribute and so on) act as a "identical part detection" trigger, that forces the Advance Steel numbering to add that attribute as well when looking for identical parts.

By default identical parts are determined by geometrical characteristics. But, if you have two identical beams which you want to get different numbers, you can go ahead and use those checkboxes, together with "different" attributes to have them numbered differently. As a short example:

You have two identical beams (same section size, same material, same length and the same cuts and copes on them). On has the model role Rafter, the other one has the model role Beam. Without checking that tickbox, the two beams will get the same part mark (even if the model role is different). If you check the tickbox for at least one of the objects, then Advance Steel will add that element to a group, that has a set geometry plus the model role Rafter, and then when comparing the other element it will find that it has the same geometry, but a different model role -> so it add it to a different identical part group, and number it differently. 

Dumitru Berteanu
Product Owner
Message 10 of 17
NinovSM

Has created LISP to change blocked ModelRole for any Beams and Plates. See video instructions

Link to download LISP https://yadi.sk/d/0MaVL84J3RXR4N

Message 11 of 17
Sebastian_Eiche
in reply to: NinovSM

very nice...many thanks.
Another question you wrote you use the other lisp for changing the model material.
If I change the material in the masterjoint, the material of the slave is changed too. 

Sebastian Eiche

EESignature

Message 12 of 17
NinovSM
in reply to: Sebastian_Eiche

@Sebastian_Eiche "If I change the material in the masterjoint, the material of the slave is changed too. " - yes but for many selected elements I can't change material if there are at least one slave among them. I tryed to explain for developers why its no good, but they don't understand. 

Message 13 of 17
Sebastian_Eiche

ok I understand, but what happend then with your lisp, does is change the material only in the slave or in the whole group?

Sebastian Eiche

EESignature

Message 14 of 17
NinovSM

@Sebastian_Eiche for all selected elements, any selected plates and profiles in groups or not in groups, master and slave. You can select elements manually,  from filters, from requests or from groups. You can choose same material  for plates and profiles at the same time. It does not care. Same situation for model roles set LISP.

Message 15 of 17
Sebastian_Eiche

yes this is what I understand, but what happened, if I select an object which is in a group and change the material. The rest of the group is not changed? Then the group makes no sense.

Sebastian Eiche

EESignature

Message 16 of 17
NinovSM

@Sebastian_Eiche When you try to change material for 2000 plates in AS model with joint groups you understand what the sense.)

Message 17 of 17
acbsdesign

@sdetail wrote:
We would like to simplify the model roles but some of the
Connection joints do not allow us to change the model
Role? Material as well

We have jobs that have different grades of steel for certain jobs

The only way is to delete joint box?

Is there another way without compromising the connect?

Thanks

Hi,

It is possible to change them, just we have to keep in mind that drawings styles and processes depend on model roles, and if we change one model role that we do not like, we have to change it in DSM and in Processes.

In AstorBase, Model Role, we can change the Run Name:

09 19 19 1.jpg09 19 19 2.jpg

It is also important how the automatic section views are created based on model role, I had to change my set up for bridges, this thread below describes how to consider part with a certain model role for section views:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/advance-steel-forum/cross-section-through-attached-part-with-z-normal...

Regards,

Ilko Dimitrov

ACBS

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this makes it easier for other users.

Regards,
Ilko Dimitrov, IDC-1, M. Eng.
Tekla and Advance Steel Detailer
ACBS Structural Steel Detailing

If it is made of steel, I can model it and detail it.

acbs-usa.com | Helpful Place

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report