Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manual Mitre of Beam

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
jakausden
561 Views, 6 Replies

Manual Mitre of Beam

Hi all,

I am still learning so apologies if this is very simple to solve.  I have a beam that needs a mitre cut on either end of it to fit it underneath rafters.  I have the angle that needs to be cut and there is a also a small vertical measurement as well (I haver attached a picture which I'm hoping explains things better).  My question is how/what process is best so that I can mitre this beam manually?  Please let me know if I haven't explained myself properly.  If anyone has the time to screencast a solution it would be great for my learning.

Thanks in advance 

mitre cut .jpg 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
ArjunGaba
in reply to: jakausden

@jakausden  no Question is bad unless it is asked.. 

See attached picture their are numerous tools which you can use for desired cuts for diffrent sections CUTTING.jpg

Message 3 of 7
Jonathan3891

You can accomplish that a few different ways.

One way is to draw a line a the angle you need to cut the beam and do a bevel cut
https://autode.sk/2Xcxbo6

Another way and the way I would suggest doing it is to use the cut to object tool

https://autode.sk/3oucro1

Jonathan Norton
Blog | Linkedin
Message 4 of 7
jakausden
in reply to: Jonathan3891

Thanks Johnathan, 

The first option is particularly interesting as it allows me to manipulate everything manually.  As I said I'm a bit of a novice so I'm having trouble manipulating my UCS etc in order to draw my line correctly to then apply the bevel cut command to, if you have time and don't mind I'd appreciate as much "step by step idiot proof" guidance you can spare in a screencast...

Of course if you are busy I totally understand.  

Thanks in advance 

Message 5 of 7
jakausden
in reply to: ArjunGaba

Thank you Arjun for your guidance as well, I figured I was along the right lines with the contour tools of the palette but didn't know which was best for a manual manipulation to suit my parameters.  

Message 6 of 7
Jonathan3891

If you have everything modeled the best choice is to use the "Cut to object" tool. You can run the command multiple times to cut a member to multiple objects.

Can you provide a model that way I can cater to your specific request?

Jonathan Norton
Blog | Linkedin
Message 7 of 7
jakausden
in reply to: Jonathan3891

I'm sure I did it the long winded way, but I've done it.  It's not so much a model as individual and un-associated beams on this occasion hence why it wasn't as easy as using the cut at object command.  It was both a job and an exercise to help with my understanding of the different ways to manipulate beams.  Thank you for your prompt help 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report