Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Select Exact Overlapped Beam Inside Z-Viewport Depth in Assembly Drawings

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
alfred_chan
413 Views, 6 Replies

How to Select Exact Overlapped Beam Inside Z-Viewport Depth in Assembly Drawings

Hi, 

When generating Elevation Views, as there is an option to have the z-Viewport to cut the depth from the UCS placed in the model to allow all the objects to appear within the depth. However, if the objects are Overlapped exactly in the viewport, the result of the assembly drawing will only show the Near Side of the beam from the Z viewport.

As you can see, both of the diagonals and beams are at exact position at X and Y axis and the actual Z-distance of both end to end beam is only 6 1/2" and the depth of viewport is set at 6" Front and 6" Back where both of beams should be within the 12" viewport. The result of the assembly drawing only allows to select the Near Size of the beams. Is there a way to be able to select the Far Side of the beam within the same viewport as well? The purpose is to ensure that I could identify there is 2 exact overlapping beams where I should identify each of them within the viewport instead of missing out the beam of the Far Side.

Thank you.

alfred_chan_2-1673430263319.pngalfred_chan_3-1673430462320.png

Labels (2)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
NinovSM
in reply to: alfred_chan

Do you want to mark them or somethig else? You can use special option in MT Defaults to mark overlapped singleparts with 2x preffix. AS automatically hide  overlapped lines in viewports.

Message 3 of 7
bigcarl5000kg

Hi @alfred_chan,

look in Management Tools / Defaults and search by filter for "hidden". You will see what possibilities there are for this - it is very intuitive. BUT - from my own experience I can say that AS cannot reliably detect matching objects hidden behind it. It often happens that it finds and displays (min. the second system line) only for approx. 70% of objects, even if the conditions are the same - v mem oboru (transmission towers) pak nezbývá než ty "nenalezené objekty“ manuálně popsat = popsat ještě jednou viditelný objekt v popředí a změnit jeho popis (přepsat) pro objekt vzadu then all that remains is to manually describe the "unfound objects" = describe the visible object in the foreground once more and change its description (overwrite) for the object in the back. Unfortunately, this brings disadvantages when update. So far, I have not found another method to 100% ensure the display and thus the description of the same object in the background.

+++ impossible immediately and miracles within 3 days +++
+++ the only constant is the change +++ stay tuned for more +++
+++ since 03/2023 is Advance Steel in maintenance mode, no further development +++
Message 4 of 7
bigcarl5000kg

Here some example fot this behavior:

Pos. 658 - has been described as derived from an object in the foreground when it is actually in the background

bigcarl5000kg_0-1673850338866.png

bigcarl5000kg_1-1673850374491.png

+++ since 03/2023 is Advance Steel in maintenance mode, no further development +++
Message 5 of 7
alfred_chan
in reply to: NinovSM

Hi @NinovSM ,
Thanks for your reply. Yes, another purpose if for me to be able to mark them with label in the drawings. As you mentioned, I do know that there is a setting in MT defaults 'Enable labels for invisible objects'. I had activated it and tried it but the automatic labelling appears only when both Front and Far Side of the beams are with the same part mark.

In the case where both front and back beams are different part marks, only the label 'Near Side' of the beam will appear.

Attached is the example with a simpler model for testing.

alfred_chan_0-1673924143127.png

alfred_chan_1-1673924169178.png

As you can see on the left view where the shorter bolt appears as hidden line which clearly indicated that the depth is sufficient enough to show that the [B2] is in the view. But the generated drawing view on the left where only the ‘Near Side’ of the beam labelled as [B1] without ‘Far Side’ [B2], and on the right where the labelling with quantity of [2x B1] appears automatically.

Is there option in AS to display overlapped lines in viewports to allow us to select them? In this case, the [B2] lines to label it?

Message 6 of 7
alfred_chan
in reply to: bigcarl5000kg

Hi @bigcarl5000kg ,

Thanks for your reply. That is exactly what I am looking for. Does the Pos: 658 label appears automatically after the drawing is being generated?

If is not, are you able to select the beam for Pos: 658 to label it as I could understand that Pos: 658 is at the foreground of Pos: 659 as you mentioned.

Message 7 of 7
bigcarl5000kg

Hi @alfred_chan,

that's the problem that AS can't manage well. Pos. 658 will appear and be described in only 2/3 of all such cases. I have a feeling that it may be related to the distance of the object in the foreground and in the background. BUT - the problem randomly occurs even with objects with a relatively small distance. So I can't definitively say what it is. In Management Tools, I have all settings including "hidden" activated. I do not limit the depth in drawing styles for the camera. So I always have a lot of fun 😁

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report