Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to ID view requests

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
muleman1
645 Views, 15 Replies

how to ID view requests

Maybe @acbsdesign  I really struggle with the drawing output customizing. People talk all the time about training and the need for it, but I cannot find such training....that said.....

How do you identify the various view requests in a detail drawing so you can attempt to modify it to suit??

view request ID_10-12-22.JPG

....How easy it is to acquire knowledge, yet how difficult and painstaking is the process of gaining wisdom. .... Chuck Swindoll
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
acbsdesign
in reply to: muleman1

@muleman1 

Column dwg style has Front, Top, Bottom, End Plates from inside and sections.

acbsdesign_0-1665616149523.png

Bottom view is turned off in the example above.

Clicking on Column Front-There is a green frame appears around that view

acbsdesign_1-1665616273978.png

Similar to how we hover with the mouse and show where the detail frames are on detail dwgs.

This is how Top is activated:

acbsdesign_2-1665616345764.png

And end plates from inside:

acbsdesign_3-1665616371048.png

Have a great night.

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this makes it easier for other users.

Regards,
Ilko Dimitrov, IDC-1, M. Eng.
Tekla and Advance Steel Detailer
ACBS Structural Steel Detailing

If it is made of steel, I can model it and detail it.

acbs-usa.com | Helpful Place

Message 3 of 16
muleman1
in reply to: acbsdesign

@acbsdesign I must be missing something obvious, see the screencast link. I can't seem to get the green frames to highlight...

https://autode.sk/3rOt6pq

....How easy it is to acquire knowledge, yet how difficult and painstaking is the process of gaining wisdom. .... Chuck Swindoll
Message 4 of 16
bigcarl5000kg

the frame appears before you edit him 😉

+++ impossible immediately and miracles within 3 days +++
+++ the only constant is the change +++ stay tuned for more +++
+++ since 03/2023 is Advance Steel in maintenance mode, no further development +++
Message 5 of 16
acbsdesign

@muleman1 

Hi, Open the Preview, tab is bottom right in detail properties.

Please see screenshots in last post.

The details you see there are previews.

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this makes it easier for other users.

Regards,

Message 6 of 16
muleman1

Thanks!!
Message 7 of 16
muleman1

@acbsdesign any idea why your folders are named different from mine in the "edit detail" window?

Message 8 of 16
acbsdesign

@muleman1 

These are dwg styles names. I have separated the dwg styles processes are using based on size of columns

Regards,

Message 9 of 16
muleman1

wonder why one of my folders not named "end plates from inside". Did you create this name in your file folder hiarchy?

Message 10 of 16
acbsdesign

@muleman1 

Hi, The Default Column dwg style has Endplates from inside too:

acbsdesign_0-1666098297815.png

acbsdesign_1-1666098357161.png

So if you build your own dwg style, best way would be Copy the default dwg style, rename it,

add new Views with new names, 

acbsdesign_3-1666098476771.png

New Object Presentation:

acbsdesign_4-1666098509119.png

and new dimension strategy:

acbsdesign_5-1666098529083.png

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Message 11 of 16
muleman1

I see. Thank you so much for your time!! How do you tell the view to differentiate from a top end plate and a baseplate. In this instance I would like to see a cut looking down at the base plate, but not a cut looking up of the endplate.

Message 12 of 16
acbsdesign

@muleman1 

If both end plates are the same model role, both views Endplates from inside will be generated.

Have a look at this thread, I tried to explain how to modify behaviors for end plates cut views and foe section views based on model role:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/advance-steel-forum/searching-for-instruction-with-drawing-style-cust... 

Have a great day.

Regards,

Message 13 of 16
muleman1

@acbsdesign I greatly appreciate yours and the others patience!! I apologize for being dull and a slow learner!!

I , at least. have the DSM and DPM headed the right way. I am still confused about the end plate / base plate sections. In my generated drawings you can see the sq tube column as green hidden visible lines, which make me think I looking at plates from outside...right???  Also in the List of view requests it shows folders *-Section_1-1, *-Section_1-2 & *-Section_1-3. I can find a ref to these identifing callouts anywhere in DSM or DPM

DSM_10-18-22.JPG

Message 14 of 16
acbsdesign

@muleman1 

Ok, not a problem-you don't have the end plate views in your drawing style. These two look more like End plates from Outside, but they are sections.

Just add it here:

acbsdesign_0-1666124154455.png

Section 1-1, 1-2...these are the Section Vis with some internal numbering that we don't care about.

Column sections are better off if placed to the right of the column front and bottom, because there is BOM on top and title block on bottom, and we are more flexible to move if we have to, and leave Column Top or Column Front to the very left, nice straight view to the left, not scattered section views.

In your dwg style-select Right for Section Views.

Please pay attention to the Arrangement column-last to the right in the screenshot above.

The above example-View 1 is Column Front, located on the middle, 2 is Column Top-this is as if column is laying horizontal in shop, and top is as it is beam top. (The long vertical view 2 in the schematics with black background preview)

To the right of view 1 is 3-Column bottom.

And to the right of 3 are the 5's-5a, 5b etc. - Section views

Top and bottom of Front view are end plates from inside.

In order to be generated, we have to add them to the drawing style.

So using this dwg style we have the following result

acbsdesign_9-1666126511153.png

Only the second view (top) is missing.

acbsdesign_2-1666124985691.png

Basically, the Preview you are looking at in Detail Properties-we use it if we have to show a view that is not shown, by turning View state ON, or changing the clipping or scale.

It is a result of the drawing style generating the details.

If we want more sections to be added, then we have to add them manually IF they are not already included in dwg style and View state is not turned off.

acbsdesign_3-1666125244667.png

So think this way:

1. I want a drawing style for a column-model role to be column and processes to use Column dwg styles

2. I need Front, Top, Bottom, End plates and section views

3. I have to add them below the main view (front view) here:

acbsdesign_4-1666125369807.png

4. I want them located Above, Below, Top / Bottom or Right

COLUMN TOP IS AS it is BEAM TOP, rotate the drawing minus 90 degrees (clockwise), and think about the column as it is a beam.

Same for front and bottom.

Everything in column drawings style is rotated minus 90 degrees, for example, dimensions along X are the ones that are vertical on Column front, top and bottom.

Dimensions that are horizontal would be MP Y...(not MP X...)

5. When will be these views shown:

Always or interactive-To be shown without manual selection or with manual selection.

acbsdesign_5-1666125733163.png

For example-on complex assemblies - the sections would be better off if Interactive because we can select only the ones we need.

So now you would ask-why is Column Top not shown in details.

This is controlled in Necessary View Wizard

acbsdesign_6-1666125861336.png

acbsdesign_7-1666125956495.png

First 3 lines above-Front View-Always Show

Upper View for Ladder-Always Show

Upper View for Stairs-Always show

But the rest below have to include some of the features in order to be shown:

Example: Show Upper View only if we have attached plates to web.....

acbsdesign_8-1666126142462.png

AS is pretty good with Top and Bottom, not very often do we have to add them in detail properties (turn state view On)

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Message 15 of 16
bigcarl5000kg

Hi @acbsdesign ,

surely some training for AS would not hurt the users, otherwise you will start writing some books soon 😁😉👍.

+++ impossible immediately and miracles within 3 days +++
+++ the only constant is the change +++ stay tuned for more +++
+++ since 03/2023 is Advance Steel in maintenance mode, no further development +++
Message 16 of 16
acbsdesign

@bigcarl5000kg 

To be fair, some of the training sites do not provide, that was a while ago, and it is getting worse from what I hear.

Even after training the DSM is not the easiest part of AS.

Persistence will pay off, glad to see @muleman1  working on it.

Regards,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report